Making a Motor Mount

yeah. im curious about the press fit. and how it holds up to sk8 vibrations

Let me nagg @MrEpiquad its his design :P, we share the same mancave. The mount is extremely simple and even lower cost making it a viable option to produce in larger numbers (lasercutting is cheap, we don’t bother about painting it). We did this as an experiment and it works perfect so far.

We have the benefit that aluminium is soft and it will form around its host (the truck). We abused it quite badly and it still holds up. We used very high pressure (from a hydraulic bearing press) to mount the mount, we are quite sure it will never come loose. The caliber trucks are conical so perfect for press fitting.

3 Likes

It’s very simple and @JTAG already revealed a part of the trick, the aluminium of the truck is so soft that you can make a press fit of -0.1mm fit with ease. And a important step is to get the contour of the truck right and after some measuring and calculating we came up with this fitment. We driven it for several days now and there is literally zero backlash, so it is proven to work with just a press fitting. But maybe for long term we will use Locktite+activator to make sure it can survive the most intense vibrations. Another option is to use allen grubs screws to make sure it always presses into the truck with equal force.

But for now this is just a fast mockup and I have bigger plans to make it more fool proof and easier to adjust. So all by all much more great motor mounts to come :smiley:

5 Likes

Just made this guy today. Seems to hold up strong:

Let me know if you guys have any questions/comments

7 Likes

3D printed a replica of enertionboards motor mount with ABS. Just for testing, but the result turns out to be quite strong.

7 Likes

looks cool is it acutely strong enough? when i printed mine it felt very flexy!

2 Likes

Yes, the truck clamp feels quite solid. It is 12mm thick with 20% infill. The motor mount plate was lasercut with acrylic for testing. Planning to use 4mm carbon-fiber sheet in future (I am not sure how thick is the enertionboards carbon-fiber sheet).

I personally would not go any where below 6mm, 6mm cf should be fine

@GrahamZhu would you be willing to send the stl for your mount would like to try it. Have been designing my own but just looks a bit bulky.

Sure, I ll PM you. Hopefully more builders will start to design their own motor mount.

Yea I designed that one but it’s a bit big and doesn’t look good but was going to modify it a little more to try and make it look sleeker.

how do u guys make the truck clamp for calibers

Some pics of mine custom made motor mount

4 Likes

how did you get that cut, CNC Milling?

Yes, exactly

1 Like

Do you have the files so I could get one cut? Thanks!

You got the files for that?

Many builders asking for the stl file. Here it is: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1620720 Have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks!!!

BTW, due to the elasticity and the surface of the 3d printed material (ABS or PLA), the mount will slip once there is too much vibration. It is better to bite metal with metal.