Low Guido's Soft Roader | medium terrain drop deck | Dual SK3s | 10Ah Lipo

mate, contrary to popular belief I’m not here to argue on the internet. just to share what I have done. I know what works and what doesn’t because I have built Heaps of different boards that I experimented with and designed myself rather than just doing what everyone else does.

to be honest I don’t even care if people don’t believe. there are people on here who still believe that narrow trucks don’t turn tighter and that single drive will pull to one side. I’m not even gonna start on my Uneven Drive system…

at the end of the day I’m not telling anyone to do anything just sharing what I have done.

I mean If I had listened to people (to be honest I didn’t see that thread.) about the quality of this board I never would have built it. and missed out on all this fun.

2 Likes

oh and just for a bit of a laugh heres bones super reds Vs the bearings that the board came with.

4 Likes

[quote=“lowGuido, post:1, topic:17374, full:true”]

[/quote]

Cool build! Maybe you’ve already done so, but cut down those bolts sticking out of the wheel!! It looks like something from a chariot death race, haha

1 Like

5 Likes

yeah that’s totally the style I was going for!

seriously tho… in the finished pictures you can see they have been chopped down.

1 Like

Is that a 9mm axle you have on your trucks to be able to use Bones bearings? I cannot see any for 12mm trucks.

its an 8mm axle. standard skate truck size.

No wonder that @rich had such bad rolling resistance… :smiley:

The difference is quite dramatic…

Ah ok. You don’t see very often this type of wheels that fit on an 8mm axle

How do the wheels feel compared to a normal urethane wheel. I guess they are softer. And does it feel like there is air inside or are they completely filled? And can you measure the weight of them. Seems to be a interesting option. Wondering if they are also stable at higher speeds because i like to go around 50 km/h max.

When i loosened the axle nut, the original bearings came apart. Never had such experience before. But my testride was with nice brand new bustin abec7 bearings, the rubber of the wheels is the problem. But maybe you got “lucky” wheels with different rubber. Did you try the board without motors, too?

sorry i meant @lowGuido

Wooooow, you would need a bunch of guardian angels or a good insurance! I doubt it’s possible…

The weight of 4 wheels is 1,026 kg without bearings.

1 Like

Unfortunately for the entire build period I had a broken foot so I couldnt ride. There is no doubts that these wheels have a much higher rolling resistance than thane street wheels. As do pneumatics. But I have never ridden pneumys either so I cant compare.

@Ackmaniac there is no way I would ride these at 50. Then again I wouldn’t ride thane at 50 either.

I mean I am a snowboarder. And I do 50+ on snow regularly but concrete is far less forgiving than snow.

How do they perform compared to urethane wheels. Especially on bad roads? And the hub of the wheel looks to me like there is a chance that flywheel pulleys might fit.

Originally i wanted 5" pneumatics but it’s hard to find. And to order 5" skike pneumatics is only nice when you own a lathe to make it fit. That’s why i ordered the rubber tyre board. when it was delivered i was full of joy and started planning how to mount the pulley and so on. A friend visited me and asked if i tried it on the street. I said no, why, these are perfect tyres for my build. Later we went outside to test it. The first time i pushed with my foot i almost fall forward because the wheels brake like hell. Compared to a longboard,with like one or two pushes you reach min. 20 meters, with the offroad wheels maybe 1 meter. Then i took the bus up the hill to test it downwards and was amused that i almost stop and have to push it downhill. That’s why i never did this build. I have a mountainboard with wide 9inch offroad pneumatics. The rolling resistance is less on concrete compared to the rubber wheels but still high.

I intend to make a video of this board which will answer all questions. Top speed, range and different surfaces. And anything else I can think of.

1 Like

Can you please also make a pushtest. You changed the bearings so I would be interested if the high resistance comes from the bad bearings or from the wheels. I am close to order one for myself just for testing.

1 Like

I couldn’t resist and also ordered a board for myself. I hope i can fit flywheel pulleys to the Hub. I think some little modifications and they might fit. But i will let you know. If they fit then it still would be smarter to have a pulley with more teeth for my 10S and 12S. I think 50 teeth would be great because then you could use it with a 15 teeth motor pulley and 190 kv motors and the speed would be around 55 km/h with 12 S and around 45 km/h with 10S. But maybe the wheels are also crap.