Loss of brakes. Help!

Thanks for the info dude!

Hey @Sander it happens at any battery %

Why -? I have never seen people run -60 on motor max. Correct me if I am wrong

At -30 Motor Min your brakes might be relatively weak. I use -45/-50 most of the time with my 83mm wheels. When I put on my MBS 100mm I need to use -60 or the brakes are just too weak.

Maybe it is your remote? GO on App Configuration then the PPM tab and click on the Display check box?

maybe. I got 83mm as well

Let me try it now

on max throttle its 2.0 and on max brake is 0.62

Does the bar go back to the end of left?

Yes like this.

Ahh, then I dont know :frowning:

I am going to try changing the motor min and see if that helps! Thanks for the info though! Ill let you know how it goes

1 Like

Of course it does not work… I didnt see it before but now I am like heureka damn it :smiley:

What you have to do:

1. connect VESC to BLDC-tool
  2. on the app config tab enable the display option (be sure to set PPM as “disabled” to avoid unwanted motor spin)
  3. enable the display option as you did before
  4. push your trigger on remote all the way to max brake
  5. next to the line there is a number, put that number into the “minimum pulsewidth (ms)”
  6. do the same for acceleration

What was happening was that you were not using all the range that your remote offers.

If you adjusted anything on your remote like the trimming option to achieve 50% in the BLDC-tool before, make sure to set these back. Otherwise you wont get 50% while trigger is in resting position.

I see. So i got to set the minimum instead of 1…to the 0.62 that you saw on the screenshot ? Where its me with full brake on

Your full brake and full acceleration ms values the receiver sends to the VESC based on your controller input needs to rest at 50% or idle when you are not pulling the trigger. Usually the progress bar on Ubuntu shows the actual percentage in there with yours it appears to just be a line basically so will be harder to get the value right. Full brake should be the minimum ms value though and full throttle should be the maximum, in theory when you let go of the trigger it should go to idle. If it goes above 50% when you let go then your high is too low or your low is too high (the middle is therefore too high), if it goes below 50% then your high is too low or your low is too high. You can also adjust the deadband which is a perecentage around the 50% mark that it will consider “dead” or idle, to get it to accelerate or decelerate you need to pull or push the trigger out of the deadband region into the “active” region.

I had this exact issue with a GT2B remote in a baby buffalo case. Which remote do you have?

The reason is if the brake signal goes past the end point of the PPM setting. The vesc will see this as signal loss and cut out. It comes back when you move the brake back closer to the middle. To fix the issue I had to put a physical stopper on the remote so I could not press it all the way in. Its a work around. To fix it properly I installed @Ackmaniac extended BLDC tool which you can set the end points to match what the remote puts out. https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/extended-bldc-tool-with-watt-control-mode-ppm-cruise-control-individual-throttle-curve-and-android-app/12286

That’s weird since @Ackmaniac’s PPM wizard will set the PPM min/max higher and lower (respectively) than my actual values. For example, my remotes actual min is 1.10 and max is 1.96, but the wizard sets it at 1.11 and 1.94

I think just slightly past still works but if its a lot past the vesc will think the signal is lost and cut out. I prefer my remote end points to be just inside the PPM BLDC end points for added safety.