Losing some weight

CHURCH

@NickTheDude same here I can’t wait to get them Samsung 30T. That’s some scary power and range there.

@darkkevind Actually I discovered last week that 30Q can handle 20A a bit much better than HG2. HG2 fares better up to 15A, then 30Q takes the lead. Temp discharges are also equal to that of 25R at 20A with WAY better voltage on 30Q. For a 3000mAh cell that’s huge.

all of this is why i waited so long to move from the 25R to the 30Q. These cells really are the performance workhorse of the industry right now. Plenty of other cells out there boast more exotic chemistries and the price per cell to go with it but the 30Q cells are the best in m opinion right now for 99% of usage cases on esk8s. IF you’re drag racing, yeah, you might want something more explosive but even just street racing a big 30Q pack will ultimately out run a big lipo pack in range and will not be too far behind iit off the mark. And it will defenitely keep up after the mark.

4 Likes

Just finished my first full work commute on my new 30Q pack… and holy crap… it blew away any expectations I had. Just check the numbers

To work 4 miles, slight decline all the way with short (1 block) hills. From work 4 miles with slight incline and HEAVY wind resistance.

Samsung 25R: Riding style medium fast to fast (35 mph top speed) Start 100% End 35%

Samsung 30Q: Riding style medium fast to fast (slight slower than 35 mph) Start 100% End …74%

:scream: assuming I do that 4 times I’d get like 30+ miles! I know what you’re thinking, “but you’re reading the % not the voltage!” Here’s the thing, my voltmeter is conservative and reads 36v as 30% battery left where it’s more like 50% left for li-ion 18650’s. Taking this in considering I should get even well beyond 30 miles! Though if I were to do a full range test, I’m sure the numbers would be a little more tame.

My Setup:

• 10s4p (36v 12ah / 432wh)
  • dual 6355 230kv
  • dual Ollin Vesc 4.12 (3.29fw)
  • 70/-60/40/-25 currents (changed to -15 regen due to f/w 3.29 braking fix)
2 Likes

you should see what they do to the Evolve GT/GTX bamboo series. Its actually a legit board with a 30Q pack in it which is why i tell people to use those as a default. I’ve done probably 12 of those mods now and the only unhappy people are those sending me shitty cells from who knows where.

I think 25Rs with a 100amp BMS and a tuned set of vescs would be great for street racing, but for everything other than that 30Qs just destroy.

Well, they definitely don’t destroy the LGHD2C. On a 10s2p they perform better than a 30Q, plus stay much cooler. I use a 10s2p HD2C pack on one of my boards, and a 10s3p 30Q on another. 25R and 30Q heat up too much on 10s2p for my taste.

or just get some muscle, hehe

I think LHB lost his first 3 fingers in a band saw free styling decks before his straight edge era… don’t think he can count less than three now?

2 Likes

How much do you charge for the upgrade? Also, are you dropping in 10s4p?

1 Like

good to know about some cells that do well in small packs. The discharge curve on 25Rs and 30Qs make them better for 4P and up. For 2P you want something a lot more expensive and abuse tolerant. Lots of people use A123 cells or other chemistries in those apps.

$350 plus cells.

I do all the machining, build the pack, wire it in, all ths shit you don’t want to and the best part is when you get the board back its got way more range and is a total sleeper. They look exactly how they did when you bought it, no visible modifications. but when you go for a ride you’ll notice about 5 more miles of range and almost no voltage sag at all. That’s when i use the 30Qs. HG2s sag like shit. 25Rs sag a bit too but not much.

@Jinra you know it. 10S4P all day in there.

1 Like

Oooo, that’s just the kind of cell I’ve been looking for. However I was looking through this chart and noticed the LG HD4 had the same capacity and a little more discharge. Looking on liionwholesale it seems that their actually cheaper.

Another cell I noticed was the Sony VTC5A. It has the same discharge rate with a little more capacity. Definitely not worth the price IMO but it could be the holy grail for smaller packs if you have the money.

HD2C: https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/lg-hd2c?variant=17881459588 HD4: https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/lg-hd4-18650-battery-genuine-25a-2100mah-flat-top-wholesale-discount?variant=28023634769 VTC5A: https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/sony-vtc5a-2500mah-25a-30a-battery-genuine-tested-flat-top-wholesale-discount?variant=28023302033

Seems to me that you could probably safely get 40A out of a HD4 or VTC5A pack if you’re willing to sacrifice some range.

that all looks right to me too.

Small packs are more challenging to build in my opinion. And most of the challenge is accepting the lack of range. But seriously, a decent small pack can be had if you pay attention to your specific use case and manage your expectations when making the decision on cells. When you get below 4P, you really have to think about what you’re going to be doing with the board most of the time.

Cruising? lower output higher capacity cells means that you’ll get more range but you’ll need to manage your speed. The best way to do that is get a small BMS and tune your ESC settings low. That will allow the ESC to get the most of your pack.

Drag racing? high discharge lower capacity cells and just leave all the settings wide open. And get a BMS > 60 amps. Lipo is good here.

Fast cruising and street racing? reccommend a 3P minimum but if you’re going to do this on a 2P i reccommend LiFePo cells from A123 or somethig with a similar discharge curve in regular li-ion. You’ll want to pay extra for these cells and look for characteristics that will give you a good balance of speed and range over the whole charge cycle. This is difficult to do which is why i go for 4P and up in this scenario, and most of the “premium” boards are too, such as the Raptor.

With larger packs you can have speed and range. Buyt with smaller packs you typically have to pick one and build specifically for your use case. Hopefully most of you here will look at that and say “CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.”

2 Likes

Haha exactly what I was thinking. I’m going for a small commuter board and my commute is only about 12km there and back so a 10S2P even at 4200mAh should do the trick.

Ill likely end up making a pack out of HD4s and report back.

3 Likes

@NickTheDude That thumbnail though… Hachiroku desu ga!

1 Like