Losing some weight

Finally got a weigh in (because I broke something and while removing the screws I need to start over cause I used red threadlocker).

It’s 6.8kg, which is 14.9914lbs. So it’s a fraction lighter than the boosted board lol.

Think I might try some lighter wheels, but don’t think it’s that heavy after all.

Thanks all for the help, got some valuable information and hope it help someone else as well.

Try a lighter board - am building on a landyachtz hollowtech prophecy atm, Light AF.

6 Likes

I disagree. If you compare current capacity as well as Ah - Lipo wins. If you are just looking at Ah - then you can find lighter setups with li-ion, but they will not output the current (C/Amps) of lipo!

OP - i would look at some of the super small and light lipos. My favorite super small lipo is the Nanotech 4500mAh 3s (x4 for 12s, or 3 for 9s). Sacrifice some range, but thin and light, but still 60-75c (*4.5Ah = 250’ish A current capacity (with a grain of salt obviously… marketing)). End result - very little sag under load.

GL!

I’m speaking strictly in terms of watt hour per weight, proof is above

I hear ya Jinra - but power density to me is not only Ah/Wh but also current capacity. Sag sucks.

tomato tomatoe?

1 Like

Yea I gotcha, but i still think that’s a topic for other threads, actually threads that have already been discussed. What people find “adequate” for continuous output is subjective and depends on application. Sure a smaller parallel 18650 pack will never output as much as almost all lipos, but watt for kg, it provides more power. Look at all the latest boards, a bunch of them run 10s2p, Meepo, Backfire, Riptide, arc boards, inboard (1P), etc.

2 Likes

Alright i’ll agree to disagree - just one last jab in the ongoing weight/Wh vs usable power…

Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh - and only 3$ each! unfortunately for all that awesome 3100mAh at only 45.5g! - they only output 6A… so power to weight is spectacular but unusable…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

But then you got cells like the Samsung 30T also with 3100 mah with 40A continuous. Two in parallel would give you 80A continuous, that should be enough for most people. It’s definitely what my board’s battery max is set to :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Finally ! Btw any hints on where to source them ? Will Samsung release it for non-manufacturers ?

I’m running a 10s2p configuration on one of my boards, recently replaced the Samsung 25r cells with LGHD2c cells. Slightly less capacity but they stay way cooler and voltage sag is not noticeable. Seems like a good trade-off btw Lipos and higher capacity Li-Ion.

I assume you mean HG2s? I’m using those on an 8s4p configuration and I get next to no sag at all :smiley:

hg2’s have more capacity than 25r’s not less

Yes. I know. HG2s are 3000mah @ 20A, 30q’s are 3000mah @ 15A

On a 4p configuration that extra 5A per cell (20A in total) makes a whole load of difference…

It’s the difference between a battery than can deliver 80A continuous or 60A continuous.

he was talking about 25r’s, not 30q’s

Any idea where to get the Samsung 30T? I couldn’t really find them after searching for a bit. I did find these though:

40A is pretty crazy. I wonder if you could go for a 10S1P for a single motor board without much sag. 120 bucks and you get 150Wh and a super dense pack compared most other configurations.

Oh! My bad. Sorry I mis-read and confused myself… :confused:

*energy to weight, not power to weight.

Power density is much better on most lipos.

They are inversely proportional, for high power you want a “leaky” membrane to deliver high amps, that results in less ability to store charge (lower energy density)

A good example is a capacitor, excellent power density but very poor energy density

5 Likes

This is a good website to visualize that inverse preportionality.

http://www.best18650battery.com/

Nope, I’m talking about LG HD2c - they are high drain batteries rated at 2200mah and 25A by Mooch:

3 Likes

just to chime in here… my boards are anywhere from 22 to 25 pounds, but they ranges are in the 30+ mile zone.

there’s no magic. you want range you need lithium. And until they figure out how to cram more electrons in less lithium and do it in a lighter package other than steel cyliders or heavy foil and heatshrink, we’re just going to have to use our arm muscles more.

1 Like