Long Range/Budget Build | DIY 18650 Battery | VESC | 280kv | Wood Deck

Nice work! Looks clean, you are going to be really happy with this pack when you are done. However that Quanum is going to leave you stranded 20 mile out if you don’t heed our warnings.

I think the problem is the trim pots, they seem to fail by not allowing the throttle to reach 50% in order to bind. First you will notice that you need to adjust the throttle pot constantly followed by difficult binding and eventual total failure to bind.

The battery life is another terrible aspect of this remote. Even when switched off it continues to drain the cells.

1 Like

Oh, sorry about that

Now that I have seen that 3D printed casing for the GT2E, I think i might get one. But I will see how this goes first

Where did you get the XT-90s in aus?

I bought it on eBay from China :slight_smile:

1 Like

Small update!

I am about to start making my battery packs. Although i have decided to go with 11P instead of 13P. This will probably reduce the size of the battery by about 100Wh. But it will cut down on about half a kilo of weight. And save me some time.

More updates to come soon!

What are your total wh now?

It will be approximately 540Wh

Nice. Are you going to have a trailer to carry that monster? :joy:

Haha, may as well.

I am having 6 separate packs that will be held on by heavy duty velcro and eventually a custom cover.

If you don’t mind me asking a few question:

1. What was your succes rate for finding cells with your desired mah
  2. Aprox how long did it take to test the mah of a cell
  3. How many volts are you looking at per cell
1 Like
  1. Probably around 70% are greater than 2Ah, which is the minimum capacity i am using.
  2. I charge every cell up to about 4.2v then discharge 8 on my imax b6 then charge 4 at a time on a charger that charges them individually and gives me their capacity.
  3. Not entirely sure what you mean.

What my third question is saying is that each cell (so for you 11 batteries in series) has to equal the same voltage

11 cells in parallel? At the end of the testing they will be at around 4.15v and i will leave them at that until i connect them all together.

Still not sure we are on the same Page I will do a diagram

No they don’t. In series it does not matter as voltages just add up. In parallel they need to be the same. So in your case the 2 batteries in each pack need to be identical.

so if my first set of cells that are in parallel add up to a average voltage of 4v and my second set of cells that are in series add up to 4.2v this is okay even though one set will have more than the other

so as long as in the first set there is 2 4v it is fine and in the second 2 4.2v?

they don’t add up in a parallel set - that is why they need to be the same.

in series it does not matter if there are differences

what needs to be the same? sorry really confused thanks for all your help

Again: Voltages in parallel group -> need to be the same. Voltages in series -> can be different.

In your example it twas 6S2P so: the six packs can be different from each other - the voltage will be added the two batteries in a pack need to have identical voltages