Long Range/Budget Build | DIY 18650 Battery | VESC | 280kv | Wood Deck

@chaka Majority of the packs are just used, not sourced from recycling facilities.

I already have a very similar setup to what you are suggesting for the discharging of the cells. I discharge a large amount with an iMax B6 then i have a couple of 4 slot independent chargers that will charge them back up and tll me their capacity. So far i have processed around 50 cells and found about 44 usable cells.

I have seen them used for electric bikes. So i would assume they would be just fine.

Sounds like you have done your research! @laurnts he will be able to output close to 1500 watts continuous with bursts well over 2000 watts in a 6s13p configuration. Most riders never use this much power.

@seanpain4 Ridiculous is always fun! I love the idea of using upcylcled laptop batteries, I’ve seen folks do it for their bike packs and think that’s it’s both cost efficient and a nice way to use stuff that would otherwise be junk! It would be a great contribution to the forum here if you documented how the build goes, what you have to do, etc.

The main item i am waiting for is my Hot Glue Gun. Once i have that i can begin assembling my batteries.

By the time i get the batteries done, the other components that i am waiting for will arrive, these are, Motor, ESC, Controller/receiver, Pulley belt, 10AWG wire, along with some bullet connectors for the Motor to ESC. These are all due to arrive in the next week, maybe two weeks.

UPDATE: I Started Re-Wrapping the tested cells that i am going to be using.

I think i will be able to start making the batteries tonight or tomorrow.

Before, During and Afters:

2 Likes

This is the board I’m going to use, bought it online from Awol Sports. It was pretty cheap and well made. I don’t particularly like the branding on the grip tape or under the deck so i am planning on repainting it and putting new grip on.

The trucks were originally mounted in a drop through style, but i will need to mount them under the deck as shown in the image. But as a result it leaves that hole there in the deck which i don’t really like. So, as per @treenutter suggestion, i am going to fill the hole with some form of epoxy or resin. Then i can repaint the deck with my own design and then put some new grip on. You can see a close up below.

1 Like

Change of plan again. Instead of filling the hole with an epoxy or resin, i am going to get a cap 3D printed with the assistance of @Danpooed. I decided to go this route as i will be able to convert the board back if i ever decide to get a different deck. I will also be able to mount my XT90-s key loop on there as well so i dont have to plug it in underneath.

I measured up the holes and came up with a 3D model using 123D. @Danpooed also assisted a little bit with this as well.

Topside:

Underside:

4 Likes

Good idea. If you’re running wires to the caps, you might as well integrate a USB port or LEDs in there for night riding. Hell, you could squeeze a voltmeter into the cap to better monitor your range while riding.

Good ideas!

I’m planning on adding some LED’s underneath and maybe a couple facing forward to light up the path.

I’ve seen this deck online. What are your thoughts on the flex and the feel under your feet ? It’s the grip tape good ? I think the shape might be goof for the oversize wheels we tend to use on our E-Boards.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Where can I find the best motor parts?

For me the flex is good. I wanted it fairly stiff as i will have batteries running most of the wheel base, but also to have some flex for comfort. I am only light though (61kg).

Grip tape is pretty good. But i will most likely replace it as i don’t like the logo on it.

Electronics Update!

All of my electronic components have arrived and i have been soldering on the XT60 and bullet connectors.

Tightly packed enclosure. I will be getting a custom enclosure 3D printed.

Had to modify the 3 pin connector as it sat up too high and wouldn’t allow the lid to close.

Still processing batteries. I have been able to speed up my process to about 8 a day. and about 70% are usable cells.

2 Likes

Update!

@Chris_KP I did the wire mod to my SK3. I used about 8cm lengths of black 10AWG Silicon wire.

I think it turned out pretty good. Only issue i had was scraping of the enamel coating on the wire so i could solder to it correctly. Other than that, no issues.

3 Likes

Another Update!

I am still sorting and testing cells. I am going to start building my packs when i have all 78 of them so that i can distribute the cells evenly, to result in even capacity packs.

This pack that i build was just made out of lower capacity cells and is a 6S2P pack. I needed some power source to power up all my electronics to make sure everything was working correctly, and i wasn’t going to use those cells for anything else.

This is basically what my 6 proper 1S13P packs will look like, just with one extra cell in it.

4 Likes

Nice work! I forgot to mention that about the enamel coating. Those battery’s are looking great Im saving up laptop 18650s as we speak!

1 Like

Will you be selling these? I would love to buy some pre-assembled packs from you! You seem like you know your shit :smiley:

Probably not, I just don’t have the time to make any more than I need