Loaded Vanguard // 6374 190KV // 10s4p // GT2B-Sparkle Mod // 3D Printed Enclosure //

those are quite big enclosures that come close to the center. is your flex not completely destroyed by them?

I’ve tried before and the flex is not restricted at all :)vice versa, the flex does not put any strain on the enclosures since they are split in 2 halves each. The 3mm thick butyl bands underneath each enclosure also helps adapt to the uneven board.

I’ll have some flex test photos up when I’m done with this build.

1 Like

Some impressions, LED Push button, D/C Charging Plug and capacity display wired in.

Still have to do fine-tune the aesthetics. Will cover the motor cables with wire mesh and vinyl wrap the bottom to hide the cable channel.

I’ve been riding for 2-3 hours today. And wow :slight_smile: Eboarding is just awesome… Did not manage to pull the full throttle haha… Will need to adjust the trucks and bushings…

I’m very tempted to try FOC. @whitepony since you had almost the same setup (10s4p,VESC,single 6374,…) is there anything I should be cautious/aware of ? VESC HW is 4.12. Just run the procedure step for step with Vedders instructions ? Anything notable with your motor settings :slight_smile: ? Would appreciate your knowledge.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Mind sharing the pulley that you’re using for your kegels? Great build…can’t wait to see how this turns out!

Before going FOC, realise it is a risk it can ruin your drv, so more like, can you afford another Vesc or know anyone that could repair. Aswell as is it worth the risk of not being able to ride it for a while incase it goes wrong.

I recently tried FOC with bad experience on a barely used(bldc for 10-20km no problems) 4.12 VESC from diy, on a 10s4p single build. Followed instructions and everything was checked to work perfectly fine before. Not sure what caused it.

I got DRV errors and my vesc smellt burnt(somehow it still works on bldc however), And this was as I was doing the detection for values in FOC. But I had counted on that it may break my VESC so was not super suprised.

However alot if not most people I spoke to, has gone FOC without any issues. FOC seems amazing but dont forget the risks of using it, especially if you dont have warranty.

Great looking build btw!

1 Like

@eddiekphoto Thanks ! The pulleys are @JuniorPotato93’s design. Just type in longboard pulley in thingiverse :slight_smile:

@Guacamoleface Thanks for your insight ! I know there are some people in Germany which are doing these kinds of repairs. But its nice to know that your vesc is still running in BLDC. I’ve gone FOC this morning and it runs nice. Startup is not a lot smoother than BLDC but wow, it is SILENT ! Have been riding it for approx. 10km now and not a problem. Thanks ! :slight_smile:

So convenient to have a 3d printer :smiley: Will rework the design and make it a tad longer.

1 Like

Nice! Grats on FOC! Considering buying myself a hotair station for futureproofing selfrepairing DRV’s :joy:

1 Like

I think this build is due to an update :slight_smile:

• VESC fried while using FOC. Currently in repair by LP-Electronics.

• Time for me to finalize the design and the flaws.

• I upped the wall strength of the enclosures. Totally unnecessary 5mm now :smile:

• Final design with cutouts for VESC Micro USB port, LED push button, DC charging plug, phase wires, battery capacity screen

• Printing in progress. A part takes up to 8 hours and 150g of filament. 4 parts equal 4 days to finish both enclosures :slight_smile:

• Finished enclosures. Forming the parts to the concave of the vanguard with thermal energy :wink:

• Perfectly aligned ! Enclosures also went through sanding

• After sanding, I apply several coats spray on spatula and primer. And then repeat until the surface is as smooth as it can be.

Despite all that. The board is on standby ! I scratched the vanguard idea because I’ve ordered myself an Icarus deck ! :joy: I was obsessed with the beauty of the deck. I even griptaped it the same way. LOL !

I’ll redesign the enclosures to make them as small as they can be for my 10s4p setup and transfer everything over to the Icarus. This deck will either be on the back burner or if somebody wants it I’ll consider selling it.

6 Likes

Would you mind sharing the STL files for that enclosure? I’d love to rock that set up!

@TranxFu Nice enclosures, how did you managed to prime and paint without losing details on the text? And did you use spray paint?

I’m almost done with my design, but I’ve eliminated a lot of aesthetic details for fearing I would loose them on the finishing

Its a shame that this board will never ride haha… I still painted the enclosures just to see how it would’ve looked. I really like the VESC port :smile: I planned to trace out the profile of the enclosures on this foam mat and have it lying underneath. The vinyl was planned to be on the bottom of the deck to hide the cable canal.

@keegancdr Which one would you need ? These are made to fit my measurements exactly. Its a 6s4p in one enclosure and the other one holds 4s4p +vesc/electronics. I’ll have it up on thingiverse without the logo of course.

@Pedrodemio Mhmm I have a depth of 1,2 for the text. The primer and spatula layers are so thin it won’t take any of it away. The good thing with having a 3d printer is that you can always remake, repeat, recreate redesign it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks, i guess the primer i’m used to is too thick for the job

would like to play with both if possible? Do you have the thingiverse links?

Hey dude, do you mind sharing your modified mk2 hotend mount?

just use the vanguard! flex of the icarus feels a little weird due to the strong concave, vanguard feels a lot more natural!

enclosures look really great!

I had this same exact issue, I got several DRV errors on full throttle while runing FOC.

I switched back to BLDC and furtunately my VESC was still good, in my opinion FOC is not worth it on the DIY VESC at least, besides you will get less final speed and a little less power.

Really nice man congrats, I always love Vanguard builds.

If you could design the enclosures to fit just a couple of milimeters away from the trucks, they would even nicer, as you will leave more free bamboo at the center bottom and the trucks would look integrated with the enclosures as one piece. You should also connect both battery compartments running the cables through the top side of the deck, design looks cleaner that way.

Nevertheless, everything looks awesome, it has it’s own character.

And now I can use this info.!

What’s the battery configuration that worked for you in the end? 6s4p in front compartment and 4s4p in the rear with vesc etc? that’s what I’m thinking

Interested to know the actual battery layout there, looks likeside on end - battery parquet floor…but guessing since wrapped, the pic of the loose cells seem to be just random :wink:

Ps: On the operating table, EMT box, Some countersinks would be nice to clean out the trachea…I mean rivet holes http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/2447

@whitepony Hi, your vanguard assembly looks very similar, found this on ES maybe there is further detail about the wiring for series/parallel connections but could not find it man if you could give a tip or two it woudl be most appreciated

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=72026&start=225#p1189394

I should and will move this to a new thread even though I did addmitedly pick up @TranxFu’s deck and enclosure…thanks dude

I’ll be looking for this as well

Where are the enclosure models?