Live on Kickstarter! Dash, patent pending modular electric longboard

It only has to do with how they’re wound delta vs wye.

Exactly. The big hubs + FOC was very unreliable unfortunately. Which doesn’t make the VESC bad in any way, it just wasn’t designed to handle this particular application.

was it the voltage spikes or something…will higher rated componets allow FOC? Or you’re saying it’s because jacob’s are wound wye?

It’s only how you spec the winding in the factory to be wound wye or delta. The problem was that FOC on the VESC wasn’t able to reliably drive the big hubs. So it wasn’t that the motors couldn’t handle it.

1 Like

ok. just curious why it wasnt reliable if you know.

We actually discussed this already http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/small-wheel-hub-motors/6590?u=theredpanda

where is an explanation of why the jacob motors couldnt do foc? that’s a long thread and dont see where it could be. if you know.

My mistake, the conversation in that thread was about high voltage affecting the VESC. How that plays into big hubs is that to get to a nice top speed of around 20mph you need to have a higher voltage than you would if it was geared down with a belt and pulley system. My knowledge base is primarily around mechanical components, but from what I’ve found the increased voltage + faster switching in FOC was pushing the VESC’s limits therefore causing a less reliable system than if the VESC was designed specifically for that kind of application.

a typically hub motor has a lower kv and therefore less electrical switching necessary. if the vesc’s components were specd for a higher voltage than now the vesc and motor could do 100 volts no problem as the erpm of the vesc is way higher than needed with 90kv or 70kv or whatever number around there. think the limit is 8600 erpm max. kv times volts times 7 determines the erpm the vesc will hit.

When do you expect to ship if your kickstarter is successful?

No matter the technology getting better, imo it looks much cleaner to have a rack for your boards and hidden cords for your Battery pack to sit in a nice stand and charge or docking bay. :slight_smile: Imagine how sweet that could look to have the battery back on a glowing charge dock and the boards nice and neat on the wall with no cords hanging around.

1 Like

We’re aiming to ship by May 2017 so that people can have their Dash ready for the summer!

We’re live on Kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/703584336/dash-electric-the-modular-future-proof-electric-lo

I was curious how much you expect the single and dual motor kits to weigh? Specifically the weight difference between the front motor kit and the back trucks/wheels. Effectively this would be the weight “cost” of adding a motor to an existing skateboard

Aw crap I missed the dual drive! Should have told us earlier :confused:

1 Like

There’s unlimited dual drives! $650 kit $800 complete

No sir, its only available to 5. :pensive:

Maybe I missed it but what are you patenting? Just curious, is it the modular battery design?

The early bird is only 5! The normal one is on there “dual drive kit” :smile:

Yeah! But I wanted early bird (cheaper). But its fine.

1 Like