Lipo's vs Lion?

I found this video from enertion: https://youtu.be/4nsRdQ4Qujw?t=12m25s

And he talked very negative about Lipo’s but I see the most of the people using Lipo’s and I want to use Lipo’s too because it’s cheaper. If I want to use lion cells, I will harvest them from laptop batteries but thats inconvenient because their low discharge rate (I will need a 6s30p pack…).

So is it true what he says about Lipo’s or can I just use Lipo’s for my first build? maybe you have suggiestions?

There’s already an excellent guide that you can find here:

I personally use Lipos on both builds and as long as you respect the safety requirements and measures they’re good as gold. I’ve put 1,500 miles into my board and the batteries hold up really well.

You can definitely use lipos in e-skates. Thats the abselutely most common battery type to use for this application.

I love lipos cause of their high current output, as well as really energy-dense

If your LiPo cells have too high internal resistance and therefore build up heat when part of a high current circuit then you will have problems. This is true whether the lithium is wrapped in a polymer package or rolled up into a cylinder and covered with a metal shell. Obvious advantage with the 18650 is the metal shell that helps avoid punctures whereas the “foil” on the lithium batteries is easy to puncture. If you protect the cells from puncture with an enclosure though (like the ones in our cell phones) then for the most part (note 7 aside) things can be just as safe essentially. It is the very similar chemicals/chemistry (tweaks to anode cathode or electrolyte aside it’s lithium ions in there) so the density is roughly the same but from my own calculations based on battery sizes from HK and power vs top of the line 18650 cells you can get more energy per unit volume in 18650s it seemed. Personally run LiPos because of initial cost, cost to replace, ease of initial setup, ease of replacement, already had charger and LiPos for quadcopters. If you are going for slim profile, long range, and budget isn’t an issue 18650 is a better option IMO, if budget is a concern or you want to do some sort of swappable batteries and not a fan of BMS (me) then LiPo is better.

https://greentransportation.info/energy-transportation/energy-density.html

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-lithium-polymer-batteries-are-made

lipos are fine. Just know that they puncture more easily and have a lower cycle life.

Lipos are good. I’ve been using them for a long time and never had a problem. Li-ions are good but only if you use quality cells and have the equipment and know how to build a quality battery. If your gonna use old laptop batteries, then forget it and use Lipos. Check out my current build

Lipo is quite under estimated in the community, if you properly manage it, which is not a rocket science, it will last long and well. I still keep my 5 yr old lipo. lost some mah like 200mah out of 6000, but still working with minimal puffing.

Safety is concern so people go ion but u ve seen the samsung fiasco and some people having problem with board as well as fire.

in the end lipo is actually lighter and energy dense cuz, u need at least 30 cells of 18650 to be clued, and wired what not.