LiFePO4 Batteries in Evolve GT?

I was actually considering what you said when I realized there was a volt meter on the remote. After you said it, It pretty much confirms my thought so I think putting the voltage underneath the percentage might be very helpful.

The picture above comes from the early GT teaser and I drew an arrow to point out the fact that it shows voltage beneath the percentage. I wonder why this didn’t make it to the final version as it probably would’ve helped people a lot more than the battery percentage and significantly reduce the amount of complaints.

2 Likes

I agree I would love to have that view on my remote. Iv’e been meaning to monitor it when the battery gets low(yaknow, for science :p) but just have never really had much of a reason to do so.

You are definitely on to something. If the aforementioned @MasterCho or @whitepony can design a nice looking lid, I’m pretty sure a LOT of Evolve owners would be glad to buy or modify their decks to fit those batteries. There’s something wrong with me since I’m obsessed with having everything look perfect - I take 20 minutes or more after every.single.ride (yes, every) just to inspect and clean the board with a cloth and make sure everything looks great. I’m like a 65% Form and 35% Function kinda guy - but I also have expect things to work perfectly when I’m dropping 2 grand on them.

I also wish you could program the controller since I want to setup a 26T gear for higher top speed and reduction in low end torque. So I’d love to have a setting for 97mm 26T so we can have perfect readings no matter what.

The size of the battery (if you still care) is:

40.6x12.7 cm

16x5 in.

1 Like

Thanks for the measuring. The dimensions would fit a 10S4P battery.

Yep. So overall, I’m assuming getting higher quality Samsung or Sony cells would effectively eliminate voltage sag? I’d have to ask someone to build me a pack with Sony VCT6 or Samsung 25R.

No, seems that your remote is switching to ECO mode too early which is regulated by the remotes software. If i was you i would ask Evolve if your behavior is normal or if they have already a software update for the remote. With another battery the automatic switch to ECO mode would only happen a bit later.

I’ve confirmed with Evolve that its completely normal. Its caused by voltage sag since the motors are pulling too much power from the board at once

Then we need to know at which voltage (not percent) the battery when it switches automatically to ECO mode under load.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to test that. I won’t be able to see the percentage or mode while looking at voltage so in case the percentage gets too low the board might shut off (maybe it won’t but I can’t take the chance). Sorry

It can be fixed by a VTC6 pack. A 25R pack wont be enough.

Then wait until it switched the first time to ECO mode. Then switch back to GT mode and have a look at the voltage when you do a hard acceleration where it would switch normally to ECO mode.

Would you happen to know what 0% charge on the board would translate to in volts? If 42v is max, then what is empty?

It should be 3v per cell. 30v. That is a recommended safe cutoff but who knows with Evolve.

Thanks. So assuming Evolve follows, to answer @Ackmaniac’s question, 32.4v should be when the board switches to ECO mode.

But oddly enough, even though it switches to ECO mode and the remote shows it, you don’t feel the effect until you let go of the accelerator and try to accelerate again. Scenario that happened: I’m in GT accelerating up a hill, but the percentage drops below 20% (hits 9% during acceleration) - which switched it to ECO but the board still had the same relentless acceleration until I stopped accelerating and started again, at which point it accelerated like ECO mode.

I tested today. The board drops into eco at 34.0V. I tested it multiple times.

1 Like

Thanks for testing it out! Huge help! There you have your answer @Ackmaniac!

Yikes! That is way early. Still got plenty to go at that point imo

If you read my previous statement about how the board behaves when it sags and switches to ECO, maybe that explains it. Usually when it sags below 20%, it sags almost down to 9%. So, maybe its to prevent the board from shutting down and making you lose balance as it goes from its max acceleration to coasting - which is quite jarring. Remember that the board doesn’t give up its torque ever, it is ridiculous.