LiFePO4 Batteries in Evolve GT?

Its ridiculous how in-depth you guys go just to help a random dude on the internet like me. Seriously, thank you so much.

1 Like

Yes I know how it works, but from you post I thought you were connecting the same pair of batteries in parallel and in series. Now I understand there’s actually two pairs! :wink:

1 Like

The Bamboo Enclosure fits 40cells, so assuming the Bamboo GT is 10S4P with 6,5Ah that would mean 1625mAh per cell but 25R is 2500mAh… If it’s a 10S3P, you could go up to 10S4P to decrease the sag.

Same with the Carbon GT, could be 10S5P or 10S6P.

http://i.imgur.com/d3AR7fV.jpg looks like 5P…

1 Like

What are the dimensions of the battery?

1 Like

@VikasG had stated it’s a 10S4P 360Wh pack. Each cell is 18.3mm diameter and 65.1mm long. Measure the pack and you can figure out how many cells are in there…

@E-Boarding Plus your numbers are not making any sense. 25R is 2500mAh not 2500Ah and I have no clue where you’re getting the 16250Ah number from

About the LiPo vs Li-ion topic, I created an informative thread about it already:

There was no interest in it tho…

I’m reading that there are 40 cells so it would be 366mm/36.6cm long for just the cells and no wires. Since 20*18.3 = 366.

Weird, I feel like that would one of the most debated topics. Maybe another thread regarding the same topic was created before?

To measure the physical size would be helpful.

That’s my photo from my tear down. This issue has literally been beat to death… I really feel like people don’t understand… I read your original post. Honestly, if you are smashing around full throttle on GT mode and you’ve already traveled 12 miles(like you said in your original post) you have to understand that your battery really isn’t at 50 “percent” charge.

I feel like that situations have less to do with Voltage sag, and more to due with people not understanding that you’ve probably depleted 80 percent of your battery capacity by that time. I can drain my battery on my CGT in 8 miles if i wanted to, or i can make it last 25 miles and take it easy. I can do the same thing in my car with gas… I could make this same argument with the gas gauge in a car. The same car can get 5 MPG, or 25 MPG, just depends how you drive.

Evolve is probably the only company that uses a battery percentage display(since they are the only company with an LCD remote out currently) and I feel like if other companies offered this, you’d see this complaint far more often with other brands and manufactures as well. Feeling like it really bit them in the butt, because some people just don’t understand how it works and calculates that percentage, I personally love the percentage display, and after having the board for less than a month i can actually use it to get a pretty good gauge of how much distance I have left.

The only real feasible thing you could do is research the HIGHEST QUALITY, HIGHEST CAPACITY, HIGHEST DISCHARGE RATING 18650 cells you can find and builds a custom pack to those dimensions. I believe you’d be surprised though…even if you did that you’d spend way more money than you’re expecting just to get a lackluster result that is MAYBE a little bit better. Just my two cents…

I would have expected that by now there would be more complete board vendors offering packs of 26650 cells in their enclosures, given the performance figures they advertise. But I suppose that would give you a reason to keep upgrading to their latest and greatest products (or go DIY!).

@VikasG, If it doesn’t turn out to be a BMS/ESC issue, here’s another idea to address voltage sag:

You could build another CGT enclosure lid that increased the enclosure height about 7mm more than stock (using the existing bolt holes). With this you might be able to fit a low sag 26650 LiFePO4 pack in. You could make it out of fibreglass, aluminium, lexan (see through!) or whatever you like to build with, as long as it doesn’t compromise the structural integrity of the deck and block the remote control signal (not carbon fibre :sob:).

The higher enclosure lid height might compromise the drop-down style of the deck, but I am sure some of the more aesthetically minded members of the forum (like @MasterCho, or @whitepony to name just a couple) would be able to assist you in designing an awesome stealthy raised enclosure lid to fit flush on your CGT deck. :sunglasses:

Plus, you could always return it to its stock battery configuration later!

I think this could be a popular mod for the Carbon GT for the DIY Community when the evolve factory warranties expire; or, I could just be talking out of my arse.

2 Likes

I was actually considering what you said when I realized there was a volt meter on the remote. After you said it, It pretty much confirms my thought so I think putting the voltage underneath the percentage might be very helpful.

The picture above comes from the early GT teaser and I drew an arrow to point out the fact that it shows voltage beneath the percentage. I wonder why this didn’t make it to the final version as it probably would’ve helped people a lot more than the battery percentage and significantly reduce the amount of complaints.

2 Likes

I agree I would love to have that view on my remote. Iv’e been meaning to monitor it when the battery gets low(yaknow, for science :p) but just have never really had much of a reason to do so.

You are definitely on to something. If the aforementioned @MasterCho or @whitepony can design a nice looking lid, I’m pretty sure a LOT of Evolve owners would be glad to buy or modify their decks to fit those batteries. There’s something wrong with me since I’m obsessed with having everything look perfect - I take 20 minutes or more after every.single.ride (yes, every) just to inspect and clean the board with a cloth and make sure everything looks great. I’m like a 65% Form and 35% Function kinda guy - but I also have expect things to work perfectly when I’m dropping 2 grand on them.

I also wish you could program the controller since I want to setup a 26T gear for higher top speed and reduction in low end torque. So I’d love to have a setting for 97mm 26T so we can have perfect readings no matter what.

The size of the battery (if you still care) is:

40.6x12.7 cm

16x5 in.

1 Like

Thanks for the measuring. The dimensions would fit a 10S4P battery.

Yep. So overall, I’m assuming getting higher quality Samsung or Sony cells would effectively eliminate voltage sag? I’d have to ask someone to build me a pack with Sony VCT6 or Samsung 25R.

No, seems that your remote is switching to ECO mode too early which is regulated by the remotes software. If i was you i would ask Evolve if your behavior is normal or if they have already a software update for the remote. With another battery the automatic switch to ECO mode would only happen a bit later.

I’ve confirmed with Evolve that its completely normal. Its caused by voltage sag since the motors are pulling too much power from the board at once