Life-threatening accident because of ESC (maybe even VESC)?

You are being contrary. I understand what you’re saying about airbags, abs, etc. but those are all part of mitigating risk. Yeah - start the discussion. But it’s not likely a VESC issue here - most likely the Tx/Rx. Why i use a GT2b - less prone to these issues.

I disagree that certain ESC’s are safer than others. A properly setup ESC (or VESC) with a reliable Tx/Rx setup is just as safe as a similarly setup ESC. Now, before you jump on that - this also equals same setups for brakes, acceleration, etc. Some ESC’s have limited control of those settings. But once configured safely, for your skill (some like more acceleration, some like more braking force) - it again is up to the rider to choose how to operate it as safely as possible.

And gear was already mentioned - nowhere did i suggest to not wear gear. Quite the opposite.

@CSN - i think the wheel lockup is related to the Tx/Rx, not ESC. Folks with this issue should comment with what they are using to confirm. The timeout issue is definitely concerning - but a fair point to consider is does a normal hobby RC ESC also have this timeout?

2 Likes

My winning remote keeps losing connection and i have to brakes. So I had to bail at high speed more than once yesterday.

I am creating this POLL to see if we can see what controllers will be more likely to have a problem. I think this will help us figure out the most secure/safe controller for our boards and maybe help solve this problem

• Psycotiller’s Winning Controller - PROBLEM
  • Psycotiller’s Trigger Mini Controller - PROBLEM
  • Enertion’s Thumb Stick Controller - PROBLEM
  • DIY’s Trigger Mini Controller - PROBLEM
  • Hobbyking’s G2TB Controller - PROBLEM
  • Nyko Kama Wii Nunchuck Controller - PROBLEM

0 voters

Hey @DougM - what controller are you using? This sounds really scary and i’m curious if it’s Tx/Rx specific? Would be great to confirm the culprit.

I had an accident last September on my DIY board that messed me up pretty bad and possibly, permanently.

I had been riding a Boosted for two months without issues and without a helmet. I wear a helmet when on my snowboard/scooter/etc, but for some reason, I didn’t rush to buy or even put a lot of thought into wearing one while riding an electric skateboard.

I bought a kit from dexter @diyelectricskateboards. Had a few issues from the get go with the kit, but dexter was great and after some parts back and forth, I got it up and running. One day I went out and was making adjustments and testing it around the neighborhood. At one point, I went down a small hill at a low speed (maybe under 10mph) and had been holding the brake on the FlySky. That would be one of the last moments I remember from that day.

I woke up to a stranger asking me questions and an ambulance pulling up. I spent the next few days in the hospital in a daze. I suffered a traumatic brain injury, internal/external bleeding.

A few days out of the hospital I sat down to eat lunch and I noticed my food tasted horrible. After 20 min of trying to figure out what hell was going on, I came to the sad conclusion that I was no longer able to smell or taste. A few days after that, I noticed I was having trouble whistling for my dog. Over the next week, half of my face became increasingly difficult to manipulate, to the point that it began to affect my speech. Luckily, it stopped getting progressively worse one day and over the next week, began to slowly go back to normal.

Now here I am, almost one year later. I look and feel the normal, but I haven’t not been able smell or taste a single thing since my accident. There is a good chance I will never have the ability to smell or taste again.

I bought a helmet and recently grew the balls to take a look a the skateboard again. It seems to have connection issues and the brakes will randomly give out and not work at all.

I have no memory of the accident, but based on my injuries, it was clear I felt straight back. My best guess is that the brakes gave out and I wasn’t expecting it.

LEARN FROM ME, WEAR A HELMET.

31 Likes

@sl33py

Linkie…

Runaway Longboard

let me know if you need more details

2 Likes

could also be the bms overcurrent or temp shutoff

no, then it would freewheel, and not brake hard-.-

I think youre quick to jump to it being the controller. if we all had hardwired throttles really doubt we’d have problems. I’ve been through a lot of transmitters and they’re a constant source of danger. why not go to vedder’s site and tell him since you’re so concerned and see what he says. really doubt its the escs.

guys its not the vesc! its due to the winning remote on low battery! im using a x-car beast 150A esc and having the same issue when the battery is low. its always happends then. just keep your remote battery charged!

2 Likes

guys please keep this thread constantly updated to get the exposure it deserves.

2 Likes

Looks like we need a batttery upgrade for winning remotes^^

2 Likes

I think maybe someone should perform some tests with these remotes at full battery and low battery to see how they affect the boards. Anyone with a few different remotes that wouldn’t mind doing this?

I got too afraid to use my winning remote to do stuck throttle/unresponsive brakes. Been going great so far on my benchwheel remote though. I think the winning remote needs caps.

I hope to god that Enertions remote (supposedly winning revised) will have the proper revisions to ensure reliable performance.

2 Likes

@torqueboards is your nano remote a modified winning remote? Hoping it is because I want to order one

@Sean555 I haven’t noticed any issues besides improper installation. Typically, it can almost happen with any other remote as well.

Your story hits really close to home, almost identical TBI that happened to my friend but at a higher speed. He also has lost his sense of smell because of the nerves in front of the skull getting damaged. I think this thread is turning into a witch hunt to single out one component but it really goes beyond that. The tech is evolving at such a rapid pace while safety awareness takes a back seat. If you look at all of the major commercial eboard companies, they each have either a video or still with non helmeted riders, some with very little to no experience. I think the DIY community will always be a step ahead in safety but it will take more than just fine print and text disclaimers to get the general public aware of the risk ladder.

I’m personally very thankful that you shared your story on your recovery. Most people will never think it will happen to them, until it does or it happens to a loved one and suddenly the world changes forever.

9 Likes

Thank you. Really sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like a similar situation. Mind if I ask how long ago his accident was? Has he also recovered well, aside from the anosmia?

It’s hard to explain to someone what it’s like to not be able to taste or smell whatsoever. It really starts to bum me out if I think how it may be like this the rest of my life. Could have been worse though, I guess. I’m holding out hope, I’ve read there are cases where it can come back, even years later. I hope for the best for your friend as well.

1 Like