Landsurfer (Hamboard conversion) Build complete (with pics)

I was looking at my 107mm wheels mounted to a typical downhill deck (Prism theoryv2) and with the 218mm trucks the setup makes the deck look all mickey mouse…The combo of 1 inch risers, 218mm trucks and 107mm wheels oversized and scales everything up, making the deck itself seem too small now. this is where the Hamboards can fill an existing gap, I have already discovered a perfectly flat giant deck is the ideal long ranch solution, bar none. The niche is there for you to grab, but we are talking giant batteries on finely tuned efficient power systems designed to run for 60+ miles with ease. With everyone so wrapped up in top speed at the moment, and hill climbing being introduced, long range is sort of an afterthought, but to me it’s the pinnacle of technology display for this industry. If you can show off, like ride and display a skateboard which has the ability to take over other forms of transportation in both range and energy consumption then mainstream visibility has to be acknowledged. The skateboard is a toy, the pinnacle of it’s operation has been stunts, in some ways, Ham decks have a head start on changing the way we think of skateboards, making them viable long range and dependable commuting transportation or simply beer getters. It changes the use model, no, in opens doors to endless new use models…I would invest in that direction if I were you…all the technology exists already, simple off the shelf, just throw it together, lower the price and market it correctly…right now you guys have an overpriced barefoot beach cruiser, and I can get those at Walmart for half the price and the learning curve is lower…and embrace “skateboarding” instead of trying to change it…it’s already rad, we have great trucks, add some suspension to this design (maybe talk to Avenue) and it could be a dream machine! and California as hell…

1 Like

@squishy654 Suspension would be really cool! Fully agree - would love to see that especially for long distance application.

Not sure though what beach cruiser you can get at Walmart (or anywhere else) for that matter that rides and carves like a Hamboard… Personally having skated since maybe 1980… I’ve never ridden anything like them… for me it truly feels like you are surfing or snowboarding powder… and that is the whole idea - it is not meant to be a skateboard or longboard in the common sense of the word… they are similar, but a totally different ride… read the reviews from landlocked surfers on their website… then again maybe I just got sucked into the hype - I have 4 of them lol

1 Like

You should really really try out a Carver skateboard then, they are the ultimate surf for the landlocked…tons of rake, completely non linear trucks that swivel like mad and you can go short or longboard…would be easy to convert to electric, but there’s really actually not a need they already propel themselves through pumping… there’s nothing else like them…the split geometry of the trucks is key…I don’t see the Ham guys doing anything like that, or engineering a system to do the same thing so all I see is uniform carving trucks, not surfing pump type trucks…I do wish to try one out, but I cannot justify the cost, I will most likely just get a “board” and make my own, I had something similar in the past we called it the “titanic” as it rode like boat, lol I would use it often to ride in tandem with my daughter…worked great for cruising around town and checking out things on event nights, here we are taking in some live street music on a giant piece of scrape wood I had on the side yard…lol When you don’t need to press them or shape them in complex 3d ways to add concave and such the cost should go down considerably…

I’m originally from Sacto - next time we do a cross country RV trip home, I’ll bring a couple Hamboards and would love to ride some of your creations.

1 Like

I’m totally down dude, let’s do it!

1 Like

Updates on the build. Received 6355s and VESCs from Torqueboards and starting to put it all together

Screenshot_6_23_18__10_04_AM

More progress today. Got my 12 yr old involved a bit and now he is really excited to try this thing out.

Per @marcmt88’s recommendation, bought a Dremel tool to cut the excess stem off the TorqueB motors. Worked like a champ.

Screenshot_6_24_18__10_44_PM

This pic just shows how much was cut off… Screenshot_6_24_18__10_41_PM

1 Like

Hope you covered the motor before you cut the shaft!

3 Likes

everything mounted up on the trucks… next up, dealing the the battery and VESC setup

Screenshot_6_24_18__10_54_PM

1 Like

Damnit - first build - didn’t think of that… came off pretty clean… but now what? take it apart and search for any fine grains of stem dust?
(seriously - welcome to any ideas)

1 Like

Yup!, Better to take motor apart, clean it, make sure nothing stuck to the rotor.

2 Likes

nah you’ll be fine, dirt/dust/tiny rocks get in there all the time, and nothing bad happens… it’s like making sure your shoes are cleaned with shampoo and water everytime you use them… makes no sense.

1 Like

Damn your making me want to make a long range cruiser lol this board looks like it just glides. Maybe they can make a hamboard with quick removable trucks and add fins so you can skate to beach surf then skate home haha

2 Likes

Are those Hamboard wheels just re-branded abec11? Those don’t look like co-branding at all…I didn’t think Chris did that…

Not sure, but maybe @Hamgineer can comment - they ride really nicely and come in a variety of sizes. I have seen the Hamboards guys riding on Abecs too…

https://hamboards.com/collections/accessories/products/hamboards-wheels?variant=37389990609

1 Like

Update- build complete!

Had to cut the shrink off the VESCs in order to fit them and the battery- and still be able to access the on off switch via the hole in the enclosure. Also ended up dremeling a little hole to access the charging port.

Took her for a spin last night. She is a heavy but nimble cruiser. Definitely mimics the surf / snow feeling I was going for. Can’t wait to ride more! imageimageimageimage Oh and I cut out an inside cover for the TB enclosure out of an old Sterilite storage container to help keep things in place.

Thanks everyone for your help and support!!!

8 Likes

can you post a video of this thing being ridden? looks really interesting

3 Likes

I do have to say that I’m blown away by the power of the 6355s and the 12s motor. It is a completely different ride from my Riptide. I probably need to do some more research on the VESC settings as this thing has so much torque from out of the gate that I’m almost flying off the back… I’m barely pushing the throttle and it flies!

The goal was not a fast board per se, but was easily going 20mph uphill this am and was kind of scared to push it any faster due to wobble potential…

Hey @sk8l8r - thanks - will try to get some video soon… my selfie stick just broke…

1 Like

Awesome build !! !!!

Is that the Fist !!? (or pescadito ? Looks like the big one ! Sorry I missed the info)

Enjoy & good riiiide :v: :wink:

Edit : :blush: ok , it’s just written on it !.. haha so cool !! https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/optimized/3X/f/9/f94b3c51efb3d117298eba18f80f87e026b120ca_1_690x407.jpg Your mount on the HST look just perfect !.. I’m trying to building mine too :hugs: (59" x 17.7" )

2 Likes