LaCroix Board Co. -- wood and CF deck + segmented flex carbon fiber enclosure -- GROUP BUY [COMPLETED]

Can I know how you cut the hexagons so neatly? And how is it they don’t shift around after time?

hahaha motivation and patience my friend! I did that the first night I got the board actually somewhere around 2-3am. I have been waiting for about a month to get it and was experimenting with different layouts on a mockup photo and some photoshop. I tried stripes, random blobs, arrows, abunch of stuff until I came back to hexagons.

• I printed a few different sizes and cut them off to see which size i’d prefer.
  • I then reprinted the ones I liked, I used a blade to cut it out neatly and used the negative shape to draw the hexagons on the back of the griptape sheet.
  • I took some scissors and carefully started cutting the griptape, redrawing other ones as I needed. I went through two pairs of cheap scissors.
  • As I was cutting them I was just laying them on the board without sticking anything.
  • When I figured I had enough and covered the main areas, I went back to photoshop and arranged 3 hexagons next to eachother, I printed and adjusted different times until I had the distance I wanted in between them.
  • On my sheet of paper that had the 3 hexagons at the right distance in between, I then put 4-5 layers of scotch tape to make it a little more rigid and I carefully, very carefully cut out with a blade the 3 point “star” that separates the hexagons.
  • I then used that as template to lay the hexagons at almost perfect distance appart. It’s a big almost, I am very perfectionist by nature, I had to make peace with my almost perfect cut hexagons and then my almost perfect cut template and ultimately my almost perfect layout - The almost increases exponentially as you go down the line :smiley: I really wish I had access to a laser cutter.
  • For the stickiness of it, I guess the vicious tape really sticks well, and also the shapes are fairly big, the board is almost 11" wide so there’s a lot of sticky surface under each shape. Also helps to start with a clean smooth board.
  • One thing that is useful with these patterns is to start from the middle. I started with my middle hexagon, measured and marked the middle of the deck and built around it.

These are some of the mockups I was playing with in the beginning, I was working on a Japanese themed board, still in progress, maybe for some more rainy days, as I can’t seem to get off it for more than what the charging time takes.

2 Likes

Wow… Just wow… I really like the hexagons but damn that’s a lot of work! Two thumbs up to you my friend…

And yes… I destroyed my scissors cutting vicious griptape too… Might end up just doing something much simpler for mine…

2 Likes

People use “sewing hexagons” I think and just cut around it using a Stanley knife

You could maybe 3d print one

Maybe this

http://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/grip-graphique-hexagon-pack-50/

2 Likes

Sewing template works great.

Obviously they aren’t attached yet, still playing around with layouts.

The cool thing is you get 4 different sizes to play with.

7 Likes

I’ll know for the next time!! Thanks!

@pat_arch looking good guys!

I ordered a blank deck while ruminating on what type of truck. Since then I did a naughty thing and ordered some trampa mini trucks so as to go for some 3dservisas drives on this bad boy.

Question: assuming my deck is coming blank and not with trampa holes per my email a few days back, is there any way to supply a pdf of the nose/tail to minimise any alignment issue?

Thanks

Ps. Prefer if it could be factory drilled & apologies for the womanesque mind changing. I’m going to move the furniture around for a bit now

1 Like

So how different are the MBS vs trampa hole pattern?

Hey @banjaxxed, we’ll send your board back to be drilled, no problem. You’ll have the 4 “normal” truck holes. All you’ll have to do is make the holes for the spring tensioner. This said, you’ll be able to install the truck on the board with the 4 main screws so those spring tensioner holes will be easy for you to do.

1 Like

They are identical to our knowledge.

1 Like

I know you’re busy, just to make sure!!!

I am going to be using Trampa spring trucks…I bought Trampa mini trucks - these

Thanks dude, no hurry!!!

Caveat: No idea if MBS are the same distance spacing,if you have some trucks fromboth on hand may be a good thing to check

Note: I have the exact hole spacings, sending to you now in DM

Dude, do a build thread I’m so curious how that is going to turn out. Was thinking the same thing.

apologies for the womanesque mind changing

That’s sexist, inappropriate and completely unnecessary. Come on, do better.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely right, fixed it

4 Likes

Glad to hear it, thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To clean grip tape you can buy a “grip tape cleaning block” or a bar for “cleaning belt sanders and disks”. It will work better :wink: I got one delivered to me on eBay for $14, it will last me a life time I think.

It is basically a eraser for dirt and stuff that is clogging sand paper.

1 Like

Thanks I just ordered one on amazon! The brush and dishsoap was making a mess everywhere

1 Like

This unfortunately is not all that is needed. From my experience it’s wire bursh and water, then dab up the dirt via a rag, finally use the rubber to clean.

The rubber alone u can be at it for 15mins and not do much… The wire brush helps loosen all the dirt so the rubber can pick it up

It’s a real pain…

2 Likes

They’re different. Two holes lineup, two closer to the tip do not.

1 Like

Dayum, thats unfortunate, oh well