Jobby Lane | Clutch Underdog | Carvon V2 Dual Hubs (ABEC 11s) | 18650 Battery Pack Undecided | Dual VESC

I’m betting it’s ur battery amp limit that’s slowing u with the 6s and if u up it u could get the same acceleration. What’s it at?

I’m really not sure. I really don’t have a theory for that yet.

I am not using Vescs. I’m using TB 12s Esc’s with no limiting

I’ve got my theory…and I’m healed enough and will glue my crap together enough to test it tomorrow…

No limit. It must have some kind of limit that’s not adjustable. Right?

Sorry to hear bout your injuries

Never had a bruised heel before. Weird injury.

1 Like

I think it has overheat protection but it’s rated for 120amps continuous and i’ve never pulled that much. So it’s basically unlimited. Also i’m using Lipo batteries 5000\25c so their good for 125amps

What amperage do you see come from the battery? 120 amps is way more than I get to

I’m only pulling around 30-35 amps peak from the batteries going uphill with dual motors.

This is the meter I used to test on the 3 phase motor wires. I used it to test voltage and amperage between the Esc and motor

1 Like

I video recorded the bench tests but haven’t gotten around to uploading them to youtube. They show how the voltage increases as I pull the throttle and how the amperage stays constant until I grab the wheel and slow it down with my hand to simulate load. The tighter I squeeze the wheel the higher the amperage goes

when I push full throttle I hit the 60 amps to the motor limit as programmed. and that’s my limit. With ur esc surely it doesn’t go to 120 or you’d have much higher battery draw possible with full throttle.

With 6s vs 12s what was the amp draw from the batteries given the same load? For me it’s not the case with the vesc…running higher voltage draws less amps from the battery.

Let me get my notes out and see cuz I don’t remember

Ok, going the same speed up the same hill, 6s 37.4 peak amps 12s 18.4 peak amps These reading are from the battery to the esc

well, in reality, I was guessing the speed. That is, I didn’t use a speedometer to ensure I was going exactly the same speed. I may have been going a little faster with the 12s

There’s the converted volts to amps playing out as the higher voltage system draws less amps with the same load

Maybe from those numbers u could figure the esc to motor amp limit. (If urs works the same as the vesc)

Amperage and voltage are inversely proportional if one goes up the other goes down and vice versa

So yes a transformer can make amperage but at a loss of voltage

A transformer changes voltage. the amperage going up or down is a byproduct of what the transformer does which is to merely change the voltage.

the point is to transfer power over a long distance. Whatever power is being transported is still going to be the same power. When the voltage is changed the amperage must change as well. Instead of running high wasteful amps a long distance and losing them to heat they step the voltage way up and the amperage will have to go down. Inverse relationship hand in hand

Here this guy knows stuff and sells it

Re: amps, volts and top speed Unread postby liveforphysics » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:35 pm Power is what gets the work done of transporting you on your vehicle.

No matter of it comes from a 10V 100A source or 100V 10A source, it’s capable of exactly the same efficiency and torque and speed and heating etc provided the motors kV scales to the voltage and the copper fill% in the motor remains the same (and the 100A system needs a few feet of thicker wire between battery/controller/motor).

I wonder what limits ur controller

From a VESC perspective @Namasaki is using duty cycle or voltage control and that’s what most hobby ESCs use.

With the VESC we are using (normally) current control, which is torque control.

Different concepts to be kept in mind when comparing controllers.