Ive now taken my battery through 3 international airports in 2 weeks with no issues

It’s the same

1 Like

If something happened with a 160wh pack ,…at least it was legal to be onboard ?

1 Like

easy. thats 12S 10,000mah in that box, and thats with a massive e-bike ESC in there too.

You are allowed two 160Wh batteries in your carry-on with airline approval. No limits on batteries under 100Wh. Some airlines allow one 160Wh battery to be installed in your device

Size limits: Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). …

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

Batteries must be protected from damage.

Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.

3 Likes

@jmasta is right on the money.

More fun reading:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

Also check the airlines contract of carriage to ensure you’re in the clear. For instance, the Spirit Contract of Carriage is particularly restrictive regarding electric skateboards and lithium batteries. It even references this 456 page UN document to disqualify as many batteries as possible.

1 Like

What if the pack is completely drained to 0% and you prove it with the voltage meter! Would they let you on with it attached to the board say a 360wh pack?

1 Like

Hi - just got from NYC (JFK -> GRU Brazil) with 50 pieces of 18650 Samsung 30Q, individually packed. I brought them on my carry-on (flying on LATAM International). On security checks, they individually opened my bag, found the pack, and open a few ones. They liked the fact they were all nicely individually packed. No issues. I bought them all on ImrBatteries.

2 Likes

Cool. So there seems to be a psychology behind customs way to inspect batteries and electronic material. Is all about the looks. If it looks strange like a C4… you are doomed. But if they look like individual boxes with simple boring devices inside, they could be boxed bread for all we know and nobody will care at an airport anyway.

3 Likes

hahaha…yeap…thats the way i felt :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sometimes being an ignorant is a blessing.

3 Likes

So I just found this KLM rule sheet about batteries.

I really wonder how far a board needs to be disassembled, until the dutchies don’t consider it an eskate anymore :confused:

Sauce: https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/images/Lithium-batteries-on-KLM-aircraft_tcm638-744020.pdf

1 Like

Geeeezz, there it goes my 2018 summer dutch vacation. :unamused: Few dutch babes will be disapointed.

1 Like

To me it seem you will be ok… read the actual full document link. Skateboards are not self balancing devices. Call the airline for pre-approval. I would think you would need to be prepared to say it is a commercially built or just say it is a Boosted Board. Don’t give up so easily! Just sayin’ D.

of course its not self-balancing but still e-skates are explicitly mentioned.

People at security at the airport usually don’t have anything to check batteries. They work with the written rules they have. You can always check-in a bag with a battery over 160Wh, and it may go through. The control of checked-in baggage is not systematic, it is done on a random basis. If you take it as hand luggage, if you are within the limits of IATA normally there is no issue. Otherwise you can take the risk to miss your plane.

1 Like

If you come to Amsterdam in summer I will have a 10s pack for you!

1 Like

Thanks man. Heyyy, this Will be a great idea!! :smiley:

To have some sort of battery for he sharing on other countries!! With an App and all.

Damn that sounds like a sweet idea

And that’s how the battery Air B’nB was created…:smiley::airplane:

In some cryptic ramble by Jason from enertion I recently watched, he mentioned wanting to launch a battery rental service in future in order to solve the batteries on planes issue. Would be interesting, where this ends up. Maybe someone knows which one it was… too lazy to find the vid again :confounded:

1 Like