Is it worth it? no battery

I range the dangerous goods HQ in NZ and they said no lipos allowed in by plane.

There is a way to get batteries in but they have to be inside the device, so i would have to buy a complete.

A fellow kiwi! Hi!

You can order LiPos from HobbyKing, just select the Australia warehouse. They ship by boat and take about 3-4 weeks to get here.

I got 2x Zippy 8000mah 4S for an 8S setup from them last week, cost was $130US including shipping.

3 Likes

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_86__85__Batteries_Accessories-Li_Poly_All_brands.html

Thanks guys i didnt know the shipped via see… slowly looking up hahaha

1 Like
Check this out mate :slight_smile: A little creative wiring and you could turn that into a 10s2p battery :slight_smile:

I saw that haha, i was looking at drill batteries after that lol! 2x 18v 5ah drill batteries in series haha

Use lipos. Lipo 4 lyfe. Seriously li ion are a better battery but lipo is so cheap and easy. You just gotta take care of them.

Looks like my only choice for a good price he in NZ

Hey, get some batteries from fasttech.com, they’re from the US, but I ordered 10 packs of 4 18650 25R (Samsung) batteries (40 cells in total for a 10s4p). It’ll cost you about $213 after conversions from USD, and maybe $230 after shipping costs. You’ll have to solder them yourself and get a BMS and such other materials too, but it’ll still pretty cheap compared to $480 from wherever you’re getting yours from.

I got mine shipped to Australia and it took 5 days to get to me, with the cheapest shipping method which was only a few dollars.

Lipos are fine, not sure why everyone is against them so much. Just get a decent balance charger, and never over or under charge them, and they probably won’t explode and burn down your house.

OT, you said you were in the middle of the north island? Where? I’m Hawkes Bay.

I was going to use a bms to charge them, I’m in Rotorua.

Normally you use 10S/12S 1P >20C Lipos. The problem is that the VESC only have a total voltage LVC. If one cell comes unbalanced the VESC does not detect it… not everytime because the total voltage is over the LVC. When you use 18650 you are going to use at least 3P. these three parallels will balance themself and the pack will stay probably longer healthy .

But the main point to use 18650: LiPo charge cycles: ~1000 LiIon charge cycles: ~1500

If you balance charge, that’s no problem though, it’s always balanced at the beginning. I guess potentially one cell could discharge faster or slower and might cause it or others to be discharged a little more at the end, but that seems pretty unlikely to be an actual problem.

In the quadcopter world, no one monitors indivudual cells and I’ve never heard of it being a problem.

Fair enough maybe on the cycles, but is that really worth the extra cost/effort?

I had the problem that one cell comes unbalanced and now it is always the first cell which reaches below 3.5V… that is annoying because your pack has juice left but because of one cell you are fucked up… But i could be the only one who had this problem.

Another advantage is the “damage resistance”!

Yes really contemplating on buying a cheap spot welder haha

Build yourself a spot welder. Should be cheaper :wink: There is one guy selling a partial adruino kit, just search for “homebrewed spot welders”.

Could I trust my self building one of those haha. They are only like $150 to buy but I guess it will all add up in the end.

Love the board! I wanted a fat tail but for some reason ended up going shorter.

Thanks! Maiden tomorrow all going well!

1 Like