I regret all of those clone flywheels I've bought

The difference between 83mm clones, upto 100mm(95mm shaved) MBS is night and day. The difference between MBS and 107s is like day time on venus vs pluto

1 Like

Clones are made out of “concrete formula”. They are like those wheels that Fred Flinstone had.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate a bit more? To me the difference between 90mm clones vs 100mm MBS was big. Mbs were like riding on extra soft cushions. Thats why i am curious whats the difference between 100MBS and 107 Flywheels

Yeah, most people who want to build an esk8 say they have a budget. Cheaping out on $20 wheels is an excellent decision because you can put the extra $100 into better other parts. Upgrading the wheels can be done any time later after you save up some more money, but for example, upgrading other pieces is not so easy. You get more bang for your buck by starting with cheap wheels and putting the $ into other parts, then slowly graduating to better wheels

5 Likes

Well,

MBS shaved, even though they feel like clouds compared to smaller wheels, they are VERY drifty, they have a good mix of stick and slip when theyre broken in due to the super wide contact. However, getting them burnt out completely smooth, and round, they still feel a little “bumpy” due to the edge of the knobby tread.

when I put the 107’s on

• they were decievingly slippery as shit, until about 75 miles when they started breaking in -the contact patch is not as wide as the mbs, but after break in, they are SUPER GRIPPY, which is what I would expect from 74a reflex, when compared to the 78A mbs that feels more like a 80A compound -all that thane, so with more thane comes more bounce, your 23mm of thane in the MBS vs the 36mm of thane in the 107s will need adapting to. what i mean is when you hit a crack or a rock, the “bounce” back can be strong, I run my bushings on the softer side, and my kingpins on the can just barely spin my bushings with my fingers tightness. Due to the extra rebound of the thane, to “dumb down” some of the truck reactivity, you’ll need to tighten the front kingpin a turn or two or go up a bushing duro in the front roadside to get it back to that “locked in” feeling

-ie i had up front 86A wedge boardside and 83a barrel road side, tighteded it, but I don’t like bushing compression as it makes the feel not linear when precompressed, so i brought my roadside bushing upto a 86a barrel. Both tightening and changing duro will feel almost identical, just the leans arent linear with tight kingpins and fighting bushing precompression = asking for wobble city

basically I can skate over everything…including grass and trails, and it feels like im flying nimbus

1 Like

If only FlyWheels would come in more colors like orange or black :confused:

1 Like

black https://evolveskateboardsusa.com/collections/wheels/products/evolve-f1-street-wheels-black-107mm-74a

Yes I know but with that ugly yellow core and not in normal size, I don’t get why they blow up that product line given how high its demand must be.

My 2 sets of flywheel clones 83s and 97s were oval and not round… gave me so many headaches and hours wasted until realizing that my wheels were the problem. After I got the 97 genuines It was more grippy, smooth as fuck, and never again im buying clones lol

2 Likes

I don’t regret the clones I’ve purchased, because it got me rolling for cheap after spending so much on everything else and it gave me something easy to upgrade later. Plus, having hard 83mm clones as a reference point really gave me a much better appreciation for larger wheels, Abec-11’s, and quality urethane. If I had just shelled out $100-150 for Abec-11’s at the beginning, I would have just thought that’s how all wheels probably felt, and I would wonder if the extra cost was worth it when there are so many $25 clones out there that look basically the same. But now, having accumulated a pile of shitty clones, decent clones, Kegels, MBS, and Abec-11’s, I can really see, feel and appreciate the differences between all of them.

And with that said, I have about 6-7 sets of all types of clones and they are definitely not all created equal. The ones from eBay, Amazon, China direct, etc., are all pretty damn hard, as expected. However, the best clones I’ve got came from BuildKitBoards/@Jlabs and Skate Shred Distribution/Ehler’s Longboards. I consider those “high end” clones that are actually kind of soft, have some decent rebound, and come reasonably close to ABEC-11’s.

http://www.skateshred.com/index.php/wholesale-longboard-zaza-wheels/90mm-x-50mm-blank-neon-green-80a.html

And WTF are these?? Whoa.

https://www.robotmesh.com/vex-mecanum-wheel-4-4-pack?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgfSDn5631wIVFmx-Ch0zPAmoEAQYAiABEgLcffD_BwE

4 Likes

I have the Popoca 90mm wheels, and they are by far my favorite set

I regretted my 90mm clones untill I had enough extra parts to make another board lol I feel the difference allot on my carbon fiber deck but on my wood deck the clones feel good

Those mecanum wheels can travel horizontally on a four wheel setup on a vex robot. I’ve used those exact ones before in high school.

They also make those for forklifts and the larger FRC robots

3 Likes

Those look like forklift wheels except smaller and plastic. They don’t roll the direction you think they do, they roll any direction. left/right/front/back/whatever

Over 180 shipped for a set of 107mm from evolve. I bought the flywheel clones 97mm and I don’t have a budget… I’m fairly certain the price of flywheels is exponential as you go up.

Im seeing alot of talk about shaving 100MBS wheels. I have a set and theyve maybe got 20 or 30 miles on them. Im having real trouble with traction! Ive a 10s4p with a 6374 200Kv and Ive got it geared 15/42 for the extra torque I need with the 100mm wheels but the wheel just spins up even on the flat from take off. On a hill i just sat spinning. No good.

Is this why people are ‘shaving’ the wheel?

Yes, they also can cause extra vibrations since they aren’t round

1 Like

If only genuines weren’t always sold out everywhere

I’ve not used much but the roads where I live are really rural leaving me with no choice :sob:

So I have 3 sets of 97mm clones & one set of 90mm to sell or use in cheap builds

I honestly hate the 2 clone sets I have (83mm) they’re so hard, they ride fine, but can’t slide them for shit. They’re too grippy to use on an analog board, and to hard to be comfortable on an eboard.

I can slide literally almost every wheel I own, from 66mm, 70mm, & 76 -107 flywheels, 100mm MBS. But the clones are unslideable/bouncy as fuck