I feel really sad for mellow boards!

LEGIT concern. And here’s how you do it. First get a VESC - best and smoothest acceleration and braking i’ve found (plus regen).

Second - don’t set someone on top of your 12s “beast” board setup… BUT if you must, there’s a couple things you can do - lower voltage. I like 3s batteries (thinner lighter and modular) since i can use 2,3,or 4 for 6/9/12s. If i’m going to let someone ride my setup i’ll remove a pack or two to get 6s - much less “punch” and safer for a newbie.

One of the Tx/Rx’s now has two modes - i think it’s the benchwheel one. A selectable button that limits it to go slower. Not sure - but might be worth testing.

It’s a concern of mine too. When i want someone new to try esk8 i hand them my Marbel in Mode 1 (about 6-8mph tops). But on DIY (my definition of it likely not yours) - i lower voltage. My GF who has never skated before, rides a simple 8s single motor setup and loves it. (200kv 6355, VESC, 8s, Kama). It’ll do much faster than she ever rides (i ride it when other friends ride my Marbel) and it can do 18+ i’d guess, but is very smooth. If you mash the power - bad stuff can happen regardless of DIY or Boosted/Marbel/etc. Helmet + wrist guards at a minimum.

1 Like

recommendations for wrist guards? i’ve got some snowboarding ones, but they are huge and don’t fit under boarding gloves…

I’ve tried the triple 8 and pro-tec wrist guards. They definitely don’t fit under gloves, but i’ve also seen some gloves w/ guards built in - i’ll look for a set to link.

I broke my wrist years back (motorcycle accident) so know how much it sucks to have a broken wrist. And being a big guy (height and weight - 6’8"/2m 265/120kg) - it hurts falling from my height!

1 Like

hummie, when i said the market spoke i was responding to the previous post prior about pricing/affordability. the buttomline is as you said, different strokes for different folks. i have been getting a headache with deciding which way to go to get an esk8 and i have no prior electrical engineering experience and even though i can piece together the hardest ikea furniture, esk8 based on what preferences i’d rather, stresses me. Eon solved that in my case(given they deliver whats promised) i have 2 Aileron CF boards one that had for just kicking and another that i bought specifically for eon. I prolly would DIY at some point(you know i hype hummies on reddit too) when i have time but 3 kids and NYC life makes no time for too much pondering if theres already a readymade that suits my needs.

I thought I sold you a set?! maybe your pic is similar to someone I met here in sf. tell us how it goes with the prebuilt but especially if you’re a bigger guy keep in mind that since there are only 12 cells in the board so you will have none in parallel to boost the amp ability so you’re looking at maybe a max of …30 amps without destroying the cells quickly. I could be wrong but I doubt it. 30 amps…especially with hub motors…I run 70 TO EACH MOTOR and I’m happy. So I have access to like 5 times the power and it’s appreciated.

not yet! lol…i asked you a bunch of questions though

Mellow posted this video a few days ago, so smoooooth and quiet!

1 Like

Onloop, glad to see someone understands how supply chains, vendor partnerships, and manufacturing value streams work. No major brand makes all of their own parts - not Boeing, not Apple, not Tesla. That’d be business-stupid.

People should be careful of patronizing China’s technological capabilities. They have incredibly capable engineering and manufacturing organizations there. It’s just that the small esk8 start-ups may be going to the shady ones, many of which use agents and middlemen to draw business.

I am german. The last time i got tricked out by a german company with this “made in germany” thingy was when i bought a 2500 Euro digital LEICA camera. I bought it because the CEO sent out a mailing and told we should support german stuff and german quality. I did. 2 years later the auto focus motor broke. Leica cameras wanted 1400! Euros for the repair. I was Like LOL and put it in the trashcan. Now i use a japanese cam that can do the same and cost 1/3. I do not need a red point on any camera and also no top notch design on a skateboard. The Mellow Board really is very nice and well done but it’s too nice and too good imo. And it’s no Porsche or a Swiss Watch that can rise it’s price over the years. If the Mellow is unboxed and used once the price will be 1/3 less. After 2 years it’s trash like every other motor skateboard because the technic goes forward in turbo speed. There are already trucks with build in energy pack. No power-box needed anymore.

@office totally get where you are coming from. The Esk8 market is tough one… Mellow took a longtime to get to market, and mean while other brands came out, the Chinese came out with their own stuff.

Flash forward to now…more Esk8 options, faster speeds, bigger distance and lower price. A really hard market.

I do talk some of the mellow team. They are trying. The current pay as you play option we met with harsh criticism, but seemed a way to offer the system at a lower price. They offered a free battery as well. It’s not working.

Now what? Pressreset’s latest video about mellow was painful to watch. Definitely not something they wanted on YouTube.

If they want to be competitive, they just need to lower the price. We all know that’s the problem.

1 Like

Slow down there cowboy, We only know of one company that does that and they haven’t proven that its a safe or viable method in real world testing. Can’t be counting eggs now.

and I agree with what Michael above said.