HW6.4 based ESC - ESCape

How long will you take to have one ready for testing? I can’t wait for at least one review

So are these two or 4 layer boards?

As soon as components arrive

@chuttney1 dunno, didn’t look, will check tomorrow

Mine are almost here I will fire them up… In Transit to Destination… USPS…

1 Like

Just arrived my white label VESC6 need some CNC housing… and oh yeah a board to mount it on

6 Likes

When are you going to test it, I’d like to see how it performs? Where are you getting your housings from?

I have asked @stewii for the new STL files because I believe he has updated the cover. I am hoping @Kug3lis will mill them for me but we need at least 20 people to commit to it. Last resort I just may send it to 3dhubs which isn’t a good idea to use plastic but it’s something until we can get one milled proper.

Sorry I just can’t get the testing done quickly – I have (2) new boards coming but it will be a while. My existing boards, it’s a pain to get the VESC’s and wiring un-done and re-done. Maybe I can just solder on the motor leads though… hook it up to my lipos and show the motors run at full speed. Would that work?

If @Kug3lis decide to make them I will be up for 2

Just waiting on the stencil and components. Hoping to have an assembled PCB by the end of the weekend. I’ll do a review and try to upload a video then also. PCB from stewii looks excellent. For an enclosure, I’m just going to 3D print a box and clamp a lump of Aluminium over the FETs to buffer the heat spikes.

2 Likes

remember reading somewhere that these direct fets are conductive. You’d need separate heat sink, or separate it with silicone(?) sheets.

You absolutely need to insulate them :santa:!

1 Like

One could just leave emtpty space in the case for the direct fets and mount seperate small heat sinks through the case https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07217N5LS?psc=1

not worth it… Just use insulation pads like vesc6 and focbox uses

1 Like

How are yiu going to use these insulation pads?

they are sandwiched In between the case and the direct fets with a bit of thermal paste.

They don’t even really need the thermal paste.

I guess it depends on how much room is in between the FET and the case. The controller I have at least uses and needs thermal paste, otherwise the heat transfer would be far from optimal.

I use thermal tape for insulation and heat transfer and works great.

Updated STL files for housing…

2 Likes

Well I would be up for 4 of them :slight_smile: