HW6.4 based ESC - ESCape

From above the phase/power wires it “ally” would be exposed only a couple of mm of the edge and the flat ally surface on top so kind of not fully enclosed, almost like a rubber band/gasket around the edges tho, you are correct would be better naked as most things are… :wink:

So you want to put it outside your enclosure? May I ask why? Those closed holes would require 2 more fixings in CNC process and that is problematic (but possible of course) and will increase the price.

I haven’t seen anyone runing over the 60k ERPM limit on these ESCapes.

I just got two more and I will test them with 200kv motors on 12S and maybe a 230kv motors at a later time, I’ll run them in FOC from the start.

3 Likes

Ok, guys tell me what you think? dual case

2 Likes

looks great !

1 Like

to see more clearly, the idea of this genius (but expensive) design is the following ?

I like it with some possibilities of improvement maybe.

I’d like those phase/battery holes to be enclosed within the sidewall rather then simply being routed completly out, I like to run things in the open and this design would require copious amounts of sugru, silcone and swearing. And yeah want a big rubber gasket on top but can take care of that here anyway.

The idea behind your big flange (fnarrrr!) is what? that’s a bigger piece of stock(more stock is more expensive, more machining is more expensive and time consuming) to acheive no discernable extra cooling and a larger size!?

Dimensions with flange 145,5mm x 79,5mm and 2 x single would be 140mm x 77mm. I can always do it without flange and than it will be 136,5mm x 67,5mm.

@Riako I think I showed all now but you were right in most cases. PCB cove will be recessed so it should look quite nice.

@banjaxxed Again to drill those holes on CNC I would have to turn the enclosure each time to face proper plane for drilling. That requires precise fixture or calibration each time. You can print your gasket and put between flange and enclosure (see my hand drawing). I believe that gasket can be cut like a paper from from thin material. Look at dimensions, without flange it can be really small. I will use for it the same extrusion that I’m use for single so no problem here and milling it is less complicated that turning it to different positions to have round holes. If you are not into cooling it more than what’s the point to put sealed enclosure outside main one? I get it in mountain board build (Trampa style) it might be helpful but in street build it’s not. Maybe I should wrote it at beginning… There’s no single design that will suit all needs. I just think that this one is most universal. On a mountain board it can be done like that … http://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/optimized/3X/e/d/edf47877c14a02fee336e1ed0b393b5becc9342e_1_541x500.jpg and on a mountain board you could use a better cooling.

15 Likes

ah ok good point with 3 axis cnc, does the loss of the flange help with pricing? the sugru and swearing I can live with, depending on price could be down for 2 x dual and 1 single

Well sure 3 axis but when someone have 5 axis its working time is probably more expensive :slight_smile: The flange not really. Without it I have to make final contour on whole depth and with it i just leave 2mm. However those fins on the bottom for sure will. I’m trying to see here what people thing and decide which way to go.

2 Likes

can you mill aluminum pulleys?

1 Like

Technically sure I can and maybe will do for my Kegels. What you have in mind?

i’ll pm you. don’t wanna derail this thread

1 Like

Right makes sense the flange is part of the fixture as such and also used for mounting flush with the ouside of an enclosure, pretty multipractical actually

The bottom fins are nice.

2 Likes

Yes I believe it’s a good solution. Hope that others will also she an opinion ( thank you @banjaxxed :wink: ) I’ll start to do CAM so I’ll be able to give you pricing.

2 Likes

I like the design, but where do the sensor cables go?

Jesus christ no more slots, next someone will mention the shagging receiver :joy:

Seriously though no problem to get a ‘blank’ in order to drill my own holes? A no problem option perhaps. I have a 5 axis arm :muscle:t2: It’s cheap too

3 Likes

in any case I’m in with your dual design !! Like the idea with flange here guys ! Like Banjax said, we could easily finish the drilling at home if it save time, fixture, calbibrate etc … :+1: maybe we should start to make a special topic for that ^^ …

1 Like

No it didn’t look like it. Kinda hard to tell without holding the part :slight_smile: Just genuinely interested in machining… Need to give these cases a try in my VMC also.

On top. Goes trough pcb cover like in single one. Look at my hand drawing.

1 Like