HW6.4 based ESC - B-box

Consider it edited

why do we not know about this??

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to sell 50 ESCā€™s?

I would use Al 6060 over Al 6061 and/or 7075 due to its better thermal conductivity.

2 Likes

Boards could take a while lol

1 Like

can ship first class international for less than $6 :wink:

Do you intend to have CE and FCC approvals/certifications like Trampa?!

It costs a lot and takes time.

1 Like

Also I would suggest @bimmer to get rid of NRF module or youā€™ll have to get some extra certifications in US which is a huge pain in the ass. I think even Trampa sells non NRF version to US customers.

Depending on timeline would be interested

Uh duh, focbox is 4.12 hardware with direct fets and two current shunts. Vesc 6 has three current shunts

Please tell me what you really think the difference is between the two. Aside from drv8301(limited fault output vs 8302(full fault readout) and the current shunts. Because theyā€™re pretty much the sameā€¦ Lol

Maybe you should take a look at the schematicā€¦ because the gyro/acclerometer and NRF addition to the vesc 6 hardware does nothing for performanceā€¦

Well, that depends what you use it for. The approach for the VESC6 isnt solely towards esk8ing but very general. The gyro and acclerometer can be used for many fun things, from a personal perspective I use the vedder nunchuck mod so I dont have to fit a cheap ass e-bay chip+antenna in there that eventually gives up, since its all integrated (which was the reasoning behind the nrf in the first place). In regards to performance, I havnt burned my DRV on my current VESC6 yet, and Iā€™ve had one prototype soldered since the very first alfa iteration about 1+year agoā€¦ so theres that. Lost count on the replaced DRVā€™s while trying to tune the FOC on the 4.x hardware. But if you say that you dont feel any difference i applaud you.

Havnā€™t had the opportunity to fully test 12S yet but from what i understand alot less units fail due to pushing the voltage boundries compared to 4.xx.

Regarding the Three shunts, with only two shunts the 3d current reading is calculated instead of a live value. Which turned out to be unfavorable in many cases. But there are many applications where two shunts are enough.

1 Like

Selling 6.4 HW for $130 would sell out very quickly in my opinion. Iā€™d buy two to replace my brand new FOCBOXs with these and then just sell those. These are cheaper than FOCBOXes, better than FOCBOXes, and more accessible than FOCBOXes for all US esk8 riders. They would all sell for certain but I would assume less than a month if I had to guess.

2 Likes

i wish everyone would stop talking about vesc legal shit here. ITs not fucking rocket surgery and its barely relevant.

VESC 6 is open source. If you avoid the registered TRADEMARKS, youā€™re fine. You can make them all damned day and charge whatever you want as long as you donā€™t call it a VESC. End of legal.

i really donā€™t know why people find this so damn complicated. Trampaā€™s not going to sue anybody. if the weight of their VESC 6 hoarding doesnā€™t crush them completely, theyā€™re barely be able to afford legal anyway after they stock them all and no one buys them because theyā€™re too goddamned expensive for what they are.

And you assholes need to stop trying to intimidate people into not doing things. Iā€™m sick of that shit. I have a pile of PMs in my inbox that i keep and laugh at. Every one of them is a vendor, on this site, telling me what i shouldnā€™t get into. Fuck all of you for sending me that shit. Iā€™m not going to name names until my book is published, and there will be a long list of ā€œfuck you i did it anyway you sore fucking losersā€ credits to read through. I donā€™t care how long youā€™ve been doing it and what issues you had. That doesnā€™t make you some kind of special snowflake who is the only one that can do a thing. Suck it. Either provide constructive feedback or GTFO.

@bimmer do it and iā€™ll start buying from you if they prove reliable. If you like you can send me test units and weā€™ll beat the crap out of them and provide plenty of feedback. I already have retail in place so iā€™d be happy to help you move them. I was going to try and have some made anyway for the same reasons.

48 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing - legally - stopping you from creating an ESC that has the same specifications as the VESC 6, you just canā€™t call it a VESC.

Electrical items are manufactured either identical or practically identical to other electrical items daily, thereā€™s nothing the law can do about it because those components used to make that item are freely available on the market for anyone to buy and construct. As long as you steer clear of the name VESC and ideally, come up with some differentiator between this ESC and a VESC 6, you will be fine. Certain people wonā€™t like it, but youā€™ll be fine, legallyā€¦

4 Likes

Speaking of name stealingā€¦ VESC was a name used by Volvo for a concept car back in '72.

Google it to see pics of a real OG old school VESC. :grin:

6 Likes

I and my lawyer look forward to your biography @longhairedboy

4 Likes

the critics are heralding it as ā€œan autobigraphical autobiography autobiographed by an autobiographer.ā€

higher praise canā€™t even.

7 Likes

I say this investment is well worth. At least do a small batch to make sure something as much as an improperly sized copper pad isnt out of place.

1 Like

Can I get an Autographed copy, by autobiographer ?

1 Like

Please make sure to send me a copy :star_struck: