HW6.4 based ESC - B-box

@longhairedboy I used to work at UPS as a package loader. So I can tell you that step one is already done in transit. :thinking: Was never out of the ordinary for my manager to come in to the trailer, pissed about god knows what, and proceed to smash and stomp out 15 or so packages. Working there really opens up your eyes to the true UPS ā€œlogisticsā€.

6 Likes

I worked there as an auditor and as soon as I realized that EVERY truck is unloaded by opening the back door and throwing ALL the packages out the back onto a conveyor belt, the entire way I viewed shipping things changed completely

6 Likes

the key is to make the shit like 600lbs so they canā€™t throw it :rofl:

3 Likes

Update: Screws and silicone thermal pads arrived today. My hot-air station is still busted so I canā€™t flip the blue led :smiley: for @longhairedboy test esc. That being said it is functional right now.
Right now I am still waiting for: Pcbā€™s, covers, pre wired xt-90 connectors, pre wired 3.5mm bullet connectors and new Aluminum Capacitors got 16mmx20mm instead of 12.5mmx30mm.

4 Likes

Are you soldering all of these by hand?

Gross No! I am having someone from our Avionics Prototyping department assemble the Pcbā€™s. Iā€™ll be adding the cables and testing them before putting them in a Case.

5 Likes

Did you open the hot air station? Usually its something pretty obvious that blew or disconnected

Yeah a resistor split in half. They are sending me a new one it was only 4 weeks old.

Could probably bridge it for now, or maybe not, you know what ita for?

Tried it did nothing :frowning:

Hmm probably a pull down

Not sure, it senses when its on its holder and turns on when its off. It just will not heat up anymore.

You can ship it as is and I can flip it for you if thatā€™s easier. LHB and I live pretty close, so if thatā€™s more convenient for you, I donā€™t mind helping out

Check this out, most of them match this schematic http://www.heartoftechnology.com/reverse-engineering-the-858d-hot-air-rework-station/

1 Like

Itā€™s not really that pressing of a matter as it already works fine its just the power on led. Iā€™d just prefer something good left my house.

1 Like

I think I have the odd one. It uses the exhaust from the soldering irons suction to blow air to the hot-air side. 992DA

1 Like

Lol you do have a wierd oneā€¦ With all those chinese ones Iā€™de stick with the simplest looking ones, they last. Iā€™ve got 100s of hours on $40-50 hot air guns

Yeahā€¦ they are replacing it. If it breaks again Iā€™ll use amazons A-Z and get my money back.

1 Like

i bought a T962 reflow oven recently for about $150. i still havenā€™t fired it up, but sooooooon. This is it right here:

I also have a sunkko 788H spot welder. I donā€™t care what anyone says about those, iā€™ve been using mine for almost two years now and its solid.

also using a generic solder station from MPJA http://www.mpja.com/Solder-Station-with-LED-Display-ZD-929C/productinfo/15845+TL/

I could be paying thousands for any one of those tools if i got equivalent ā€œindustrialā€ whatever, i guess you just have to find the stuff that works.

I have all three of those and yes, they work but the industrial stuff is just soooo much better. The problem with a lot of that stuff is qc and reliability. I have 2 sunkko welder and one of them is the shit while the other is simply shitā€¦ my CNC welder is light years ahead! It makes a week long job into an afternoon worth of watching the thing go.

Soldering station is the one place where I truly agree that there is no reason to spend thousands. Unless you go for a station that has all the fancy stuff like a pre heater, air reflow, board temp sensors, and a solder pot. Even then, the chinesium stuff usually works 90% as well as the real industrial stuff, just donā€™t trust their temperature readouts.

The IR heater melts connectors. Iā€™ve never had great a experience with it. Itā€™s great for placing most components though and then finishing connectors up by hand. I use an eaven fancier technic for reflowing! It is called the walmart $10 skillet and block of aluminum on top to spread heat more evenly. You can get your pcb to sit at a toasty 75-100c and then just wave around the reflow pen as the solder flows! Works wonderfully on double sided pcbs too. Industry really saves more money in pick and place machines than the ovens themselves I believe.

Dude!!! Check this out! I need this in my lifeā€¦ https://www.liteplacer.com

3 Likes