Hub Motor & Urethane Riding Qualities

xkcd

17 Likes

va-vhooomā€¦

This is exactly how they work.

5 Likes

When tf did ā€œHub Motor & Urethane Riding Qualitiesā€ become a political debate between countries?? I mean come on guys, I go on this forum to get away from that garbage, lets focus on one argument at a time, for now lets squabble about 'thane, lets leave the politic for laterā€¦ or never.

1 Like

I think we should all cut @onloop some slack. He convinced himself that the knock off abec flywheels he started his business with are just as good as the real thing. At least he is trying to increase the quality of his components even if the only reason is to use the made in the USA print on his front wheels, the absence of this print on the rear wheels leads me to believe they are poured in Chinaā€¦ Maybe Jason could clarify this for us!?

Tu vuoā€™ faā€™ lā€™americano?

4 Likes

One problem with that diagram, my motors donā€™t sound like whirrrr, they sound like " ". FOC baby!

^just like this oneā€¦

1 Like

This thread has more flags than the United Nations lol

10 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary. I think itā€™s up to those of us investing in hubs motor technology to create solid wheels. And it will happen, itā€™s not rocket science. The rubber the easy part when talking about building your own hub motors.

I think from an in wheel hub motor stand point though, hummies motors will win the thickest possible wheel, since it still has the smallest (diameter wise) can as far as we know.

I still donā€™t understand the math of @onloop with the hub motor wheel 90-19-19 = 52mm can. another 4mm on the can (at least, you need enough iron behind the magnets) would mean the stator is only 52-4-4 = 44mm. Hummies stator is 47mm, which would mean hummies motor has a larger stator in both directionsā€¦ I donā€™t think thatā€™s true, as I was under the impression that the stator of the raptor 2 was atleast a 53mm diameter stator. so Iā€™ll have to find someone with a raptor 2 in the near future thatā€™ll let me crack their motors open and take real measurements. Then weā€™ll get to the bottom of this.

To sum up what Iā€™ve learned so far:

• Smaller diameter can is better, allows for more rubber
  • More rubber is not always better, depends on what the goal is (a soft ride vs the fastest speed (lowest rolling resistance), but for the masses, more rubber is better
  • Wider wheels may provide a more plush ride than narrower wheels

All in all, weā€™ll see how this all applies in the real world in the coming weeks as we test hummies new motors.

3 Likes

90 - 19 - 19 = 54?

Mathemagic!

1 Like

lol, my fail, 52 - 4 - 4 = 44 mm.

Even worse.

Can you give me a specific example where more urethane (not rubber) is NOT better? If keeping a low ride height is the issue, then we would just ride on our bearings, or use a drop-deck or drop-through. So letā€™s rule out ā€œride heightā€. And we can normalize torque by using bigger wheel pulleys as the amount of urethane increases. Given the wheels that we actually use, when is LESS better and why?

My experience is that:

More urethane provides a softer ride More urethane provides the fastest speed More urethane decreases rolling resistance More urethane increases traction and control

When, why, and where exactly does someone want to skimp on the urethane?

p.s. Answering my own question Iā€™d have to say, ā€œWhen we want to transition in and out of powerslides or drift rather than trackā€. I just donā€™t think of that as the holy grail for electric skateboarding.

1 Like

My point was sliding. Yes, some people rip their e-boards up by carving like crazy. They might be happier with less urethane and a less soft formula that is great for sliding. My point people in most cases, more is better (theres always an exception to every rule, that was my point)

2 Likes

So you would agree then that if someone wanted to design a setup for sliding he/she would put LESS (or harder) urethane on the FRONT wheels as well as the back wheels, yes? That skater/designer would put a hub that has a 63mm to 67mm hub in the front so that both the front and back end would drift in an even and balanced manner, yes? Or maybe that person would put even LESS urethane in the front since he/she canā€™t ā€œlight upā€ the front wheels under throttle nor does he/she have the mass (weight) of magnets in the front hub to help it induce a slide, yes?

It kind of makes you wonder why if having LESS was a good thing, weā€™re seeing MORE in the front wheels. LESS urethane costs less to make - it would be a win-win for the builder.

Maybe builders are putting MORE urethane on the front to try to preserve a little speed, smoothness, longevity, traction and control on ONE end of their board to try and compensate for those losses on the other ā€¦

I only build 4wd boards these days, so Iā€™m in the same board on all 4 wheels. This is so I have even braking, even acceleration, and maximum control of my board.

I ride skateboards, I jump down fair sized drops on skateboards, I grind handrails with skateboards, I love hubbas more than all of those combined, and all of that with hard spitfires that slide the hills of SF of sf like butter and right now, are worn down to only 41mm.

I love the feeling of a nice plush wheel when I need to get from point a to point b, but personally, if I want to slide around, I prefer smaller (50mm), harder duro wheels, that will likely never have a motor in (thatā€™s practical. Iā€™ve seen a few try).

Maybe some will like a harder duro, smaller wheel on their electric board?

To me, itā€™s about giving people options. Everyone wants something different. Youā€™ll never get a mass of skaters to agree on something like this that is really about personal preference. Different wheels for different purposes.

If we really wanted the best ride, wouldnā€™t we all really be riding air filled tires, like @psychotillerā€™s 6 inch tires?

Thereā€™s a case for all types of wheels. If big plush wheels were the only real option, why do you still make wheels smaller than 90mm?

I donā€™t see any evidence to support the claim builders are producing boards with hard urethane and/or using less urethane as an option to promote sliding. I donā€™t see it in their primary builds, and I donā€™t see it as a secondary option. I see a lot of soft urethane and options to get bigger wheels with more urethane. Maybe you are aware of some electric slide board manufacturers and can enlighten us.

Iā€™m all about providing options. Who is providing these hard wheel/thin urethane options?

My response is the same question I asked you before, If big plush wheels were the only real option, why do you still make wheels smaller than 90mm?

Personally, I like being as close to the road as possible. Bigger wheels mean I need risers, and Iā€™m way higher up off the ground. Less stable at speed.

This leads you to want to use a drop down deck, which is a solution, but maybe some donā€™t want a drop down deck, they want a cruiser, but donā€™t want to be so high off the ground?

Spitfire, Ricta, Bones, Darkstar, ect. Make small wheels? If big wheels were great for everything, why donā€™t pro street skaters use them?

Classic Skaters, Longboarders or Downhillers usually donā€™t ride on shitty roads but we do cause we want travel from A to B and we need the biggest and plushes wheels possible

3 Likes

I make wheels for electric skateboards that start at 83mm and then provide MORE urethane in a 90mm wheel, MORE urethane than that in a 97mm wheel, and then MORE urethane again in a 107mm wheel.

Iā€™ll be doing an offset 83mm SuperFly that has MORE urethane width-wise than the original 83mm Flywheel, an offset 90mm SuperFly that has MORE urethane width-wise than the original 90mm Flywheel, and an offset 97mm SuperFly that has MORE urethane width-wise than the original 97mm Flywheel,

Not surprisingly, Iā€™m using a SOFTER 74a urethane in the 4 different SuperFly sizes. If you donā€™t like smoothness, donā€™t like speed, and donā€™t like traction and control, then go out to Drift City and get those harder/thinner options that you suggest vendors will be providing and be happy.

I make wheels that are 83mm or smaller with smaller hubs in order to maintain a nice urethane depth. Iā€™m all about providing options. Good options.

Iā€™m discontinuing some wheels that have little to no sales. The 76mm Flywheel for example. Why? Because it has too little urethane and the public has spoken.

1 Like

Are you really going to pretend that anyone here has suggested that ā€œbig wheels are great for everythingā€ just so you can say, ā€œno, theyā€™re notā€? Seriously dude? Why donā€™t street skaters use 107mm Flywheels for their flip tricks? Hmmmm, I never thought about that. Iā€™m going start using my 50mm subLIME wheels in 99a on my next electric skateboard and attract all the shortboarders. Genius!

1 Like