Hub Motor & Urethane Riding Qualities

Should I be worried I bought a R2? I am in noways a pro skater, used to skate regularly for a few years cause of girls in highschool so I don’t know about what you guys are talking about lmao.

All i’m getting about this thread is that Hub motors need a lot of urethane to be good and that the raptor’s hub motors need more? I don’t know. :sweat_smile:

It’s mostly a rider choice…

I get you, but this thread is really misleading. Before getting worried try it… I bet you would love it.

1 Like

How I understand it is if you’re a beginner, or just cruiser then hubs will be just fine for you. You’re not likely to travel at the higher speeds, or more importantly try turning hard/sliding at those speeds.

Advanced rider are harder on urethane. They slide a bit more, and hub motors with thin urethane likely wont last long under those conditions. This has yet to be tested fully. But if a hub motor fails and the urethane gets pealed of the motor at speed you’re likely in for a world of hurt.

1 Like

That is NOT at all what is being communicated here. Whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced, the laws of physics hold. Virtually ANYONE can feel the difference between having lots of quality urethane under you, or a small amount of urethane. Having said that, if the only thing that you’ve ever ridden is a poorly performing and rough riding wheel and if you have NOTHING else to compare it to, you can accurately say, “It’s the best I’ve ever felt”.

You can feel the smoothness of having lots of urethane while riding in a straight line, regardless of your experience. You can feel the increased traction and control of having lots of urethane while cornering, regardless of your experience. Of COURSE it’s more important to people who are going at high speeds and to people who demand performance. But just because you aren’t a professional skateboarder doesn’t mean that you don’t benefit from high performance products. This idea that it’s “okay for a beginner” is really just a cover for not wanting to say that “beginners might be able to feel the difference”. I might not know the difference between a good golf club or a good tennis racket and a bad one, but I can tell the difference between a Tesla and a Yugo without being a race car driver.

Most beginners don’t WANT to slide when turning and more good urethane can help them with that. Vibrating and dancing around on rough surface and breaking contact with the ground can be hazardous to your health, which is a legitimate concern for the newbie.

Thin amounts of urethane wears out more quickly than large amounts of urethane whether you are a beginner or a pro. Yes, the pro may put more wear and tear on wheels than the newbie, but BOTH benefit from having more.

This HAS been tested fully. More is smoother. More is better. Hub motors aren’t inherently bad or evil, but there is a price that you pay when go that way. I think that the price is so steep that I’m going a different way. There is a price to pay for using belts and pulleys and I wouldn’t dream of denying that fact. But I think the belt/pulley price is minimal and the upside is awesome and so my choice is an easy one. And I could change my mind if hub motors can be miniaturized, come in a number of widths and diameters, can be easily cooled, and provide gear reduction ratios that are better suited for the weight of the human being and his/her board.

And yes, I don’t quite understand how watching videos of hub motor wheels flying off the rims at a relatively slow speed and when travelling in a straight line is helping the case for hub motors.

2 Likes

That is NOT at all what is being communicated here. Whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced, the laws of physics hold. Virtually ANYONE can feel the difference between having lots of quality urethane under you, or a small amount of urethane. Having said that, if the only thing that you’ve ever ridden is a poorly performing and rough riding wheel and if you have NOTHING else to compare it to, you can accurately say, “It’s the best I’ve ever felt”.

You can feel the smoothness of having lots of urethane while riding in a straight line, regardless of your experience. You can feel the increased traction and control of having lots of urethane while cornering, regardless of your experience. Of COURSE it’s more important to people who are going at high speeds and to people who demand performance. But just because you aren’t a professional skateboarder doesn’t mean that you don’t benefit from high performance products. This idea that it’s “okay for a beginner” is really just a cover for not wanting to say that “beginners might be able to feel the difference”. I might not know the difference between a good golf club or a good tennis racket and a bad one, but I can tell the difference between a Tesla and a Yugo without being a race car driver.

Most beginners don’t WANT to slide when turning and more good urethane can help them with that. Vibrating and dancing around on rough surface and breaking contact with the ground can be hazardous to your health, which is a legitimate concern for the newbie.

Thin amounts of urethane wears out more quickly than large amounts of urethane whether you are a beginner or a pro. Yes, the pro may put more wear and tear on wheels than the newbie, but BOTH benefit from having more. The truth is, I’m spoiled when it comes to urethane. I’ve made sure that when I want a lot, a lot is available. It’s been expensive for me, because it’s a LOT cheaper for me to sell you a big hub with a small band of urethane around it. It’s cheaper to sell you a sideset wheel. It’s cheaper to sell you a small wheel. But I ride what I make and yes, I’ve peen a pro and a racer, so I make something that performs. But even the newbiest newbie benefits from this kind of performance.

This HAS been tested fully. More is smoother. More is better. Hub motors aren’t inherently bad or evil, but there is a price that you pay when go that way. I think that the price is so steep that I’m going a different way. There is a price to pay for using belts and pulleys and I wouldn’t dream of denying that fact. But I think the belt/pulley price is minimal and the upside is awesome and so my choice is an easy one. And I could change my mind if hub motors can be miniaturized, come in a number of widths and diameters, can be easily cooled, and provide gear reduction ratios that are better suited for the weight of the human being and his/her board.

And yes, I don’t quite understand how watching videos of hub motor wheels flying off the rims at a relatively slow speed and when travelling in a straight line is helping the case for hub motors.

4 Likes

Looks as if my content is being banned by “the community” and by community we of course understand that to be Enertion’s community of one, Jason Potter.

Makes you wonder what he has to hide, yes?

Certainly the community isn’t interested in what Chris Chaput of Abec 11 has to say about the riding qualities of urethane. I’ll happily share with all of you the banned contents. It’s PG, informative, and relevant to the forum.

4 Likes

Then gets some sleep while others share information.

What information … yours?

If it is… It’s already as been spam ten time over that topic… please let people be and ride there board how they want it…

Our information. Please note that I am responding to what others have written.

Esk8 is and will alwayls be about fun and family… LONG LIVE THE SQUAD

Feel free to tune out and ignore what others are happy to participate in. Where are you from? Maybe I’m spoiled by enjoying free speech here. But by all means, if you think that you are HELPING by shutting others out without their vote or say so …

I’m from the north were all the good beer is…

And are you actually a moderator or someone who is in charge of content here? Are you related to Trump, by chance?

And I’m not trying to shut you down… and no I’m not a moderator… that will be too much power for me

Funny but no offence taken…

And explain to me why America vote for Trump but still wont digest him…

I wonder if the thin skin that anyone seems to be able to get under is as orange as the Donald’s …

Love or hate this thread, It has many of the bigger eskate builders and vendors thinking about the wheels they are riding… So there’s that :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Most people didn’t vote for that turd. Our election process has major flaws.

1 Like

Sorry… but my skin is thick as a pork belly… Kinda a Canadian thing you know 8 month of cold wether