How to reduce torque/acceleration on VESC?

12s voltage = lots of torque and fast acceleration. You might be able to improve your situation with a better controller. So, what controller are you using?

1 Like

So ive managed to things up and running again with new firmware. After downloading the Modified BLDC tool

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/extended-bldc-tool-with-watt-control-mode-ppm-cruise-control-and-individual-throttle-curve/12286

AND downloading the firmware flash file (.bin file) from the same place. I loaded up the Modded BLDC Tool and uploaded the new firmware like so…

After getting the green message “Firmware 2.52” I repeated the process on my slave VESC. I re’entered my values again and setup up the Master slave combo anew and there we have it almost done. Now all thats left is more tinkering with the throttle curve graph

until I can make this 12s accelerate in a more controlled manner. Again if someone can help with graph values it will be appreciated … Im going to be making a small donation to @Ackmaniacs PayPal to thank him for his work (and help) and if anyone else benefits from this you can donate via the link in his thread!

Im using the the Winning controller and the throttle is a bit short, I would go for a Nano X but the price with shipping (to Chile) didnt really make sense.

First of all i can recommend this setup for the throttle curve. For the brakes you have to find out yourself what would be nice. If you think they are to powerfull at the beginning then lower them a bit. If they are too weak then raise them a bit.

This setup reduces the power output to

12% at 25 % throttle instead of 25 %. So the power is more or less 50% compared to normal.

30% at 50 % throttle instead of 50 %. So the power is more or less 60% compared to normal.

60% at 75 % throttle instead of 75 %. So the power is more or less 80% compared to normal.

And at full throttle it is full power.

2 Likes

I would recommend the Mini remote. It’s a trigger 2.4 ghz and offers excellent control and dependability.

1 Like

Not sure what happened but after entering the new values my controller settings are all messed up I have also lost my dual motor config (its back to single motor) ???

Because you forgot to read the settings first before you update them. Maybe you pressed the read default accidentally.

1 Like

:open_mouth: haha… will I need to reflash the firmware? because now I cannot get the controller to reconnect

Are you sure that you modify the settings for the master? Because if you are in the setup for the slave then you would not be able to see a ppm signal. If you connected the steering channel to the slave VESC to use the cruise control then you have to adjust the ppm parameters again for the slave vesc.

no cruise control I was using “Current No Reverse With Brake” now after trying to rebind the controller I have two solid red lights (normal) but the program doesnt pick up my controller

Choose the right USB port on the upper right and press the connect button. You are not connected. You can see the connection status at the lower right.

then go to the general tab in apllications and choose PPM. then write the settings and press the reboot button. After that connect again and adjust your setup for the ppm. When you write the settings then you don’t need to reboot again.

1 Like

hahaha man Im sorry :blush::joy: i just panicked

And please post a screenshot of the motors BLDC tab to make sure that it looks ok. Alos some more tips. Your board is quite powerful with the setup of batter my at 40 amps for a dual drive.

40 * 3,6 * 12 = 1728 watts 1728 watts * 2(Vescs) = 3456 watts total power output

in cruise control mode it gets a bit tricky to control that power. I recommend to try the “Watt no reverse with brake” control mode and set the max watt in the ppm setup to 1728 if you want to keep that power or maybe to 1200 watt if you want to lower it a bit but have more control.

1 Like

looks ok to me

However I need to recnfigure my Dual setup as only 1 motor runs now…and done! thanks for bearing with me

For the master you should set the checkboxes marked in red

And for the slave this so that they can communicate via the CAN bus

1 Like

What version of BLDC tool is this ? Where do you download it?

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/extended-bldc-tool-with-watt-control-mode-ppm-cruise-control-and-individual-throttle-curve/12286

1 Like

yeah its all normal now but im going to have to lower values even more because this thing is POWERFUL however im pretty sure I can take it from here…thanks man

Some more tips. If you want to stay with Current control then you can reduce the overall power by lowering the battery max value. In watt control you can do that by lowering the max watts in the ppm screen. To lower the acceleration power at low speed you should lower the max motor value. And don’t forget to set the same values for master and slave.

I can recommend to use the Watt control mode because you can control the power also at higher speeds with the full throttle range. At least you should give it a try.

Have fun

1 Like

Thanks guys for this thread - I’m setting up my Landsurfer and was just blown away by the torque on the first ride… I’ve figured out how to make very very small adjustments on my thumb to accelerate and brake in a controlled way, but need to download the Ackmaniac build and do this.