How to make great Electric Skateboard Videos | GEAR GUIDE

I thought this DIY forum which promotes building and designing everything ourselves including things like Vesc, badwolf enclosures, diy Li-ion packs with BMS built in, molds and presses for pressing complex concave boards, molding plastics for enclosures, Carbon fiber build and molds, wheel composites and generally kicking the crap out of more commercial products would have developed or built something already.

For less than 100$ and a bit of soldering build your own go-pro /xiaomi /sjs 3-axis gimbal. A flashlight with 3 or 4 Li-ion batteries and the programmable brushless gimbal from goodluck buy.com and you are in business. Add a 10$ HK joystick for thumb control and panning.

Ordered parts a few days ago for thisā€¦

5 Likes

Looks super smooth! What gimbal from goodluckbuy did you use for that build?

Thanks dude, now I want to build a gimbal.

The video isnā€™t me but all the supplies are linked in description. The gimbal is the first version of 32 bit storm 3-axis gimbal. This guy in the video runs this off two Li- ion cells but the gimbal runs on 9-11v so I found a flashlight that runs off 3 Li-ion so it has a longer handle for the gimbal. Iā€™ll post a build thread here when I build.

1 Like

A lot of people are using this Gimbal for GoProā€™s and Xiaomi Yiā€™s: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/3-axis-brushless-gimbal-camera-mount-with-32bit-storm32-controller-for-gopro-3-4-fpv-black.html

I can really recommend using a Storm32 Controller. It is much cheaper as an Alexmos BGC and works really well. It is developed in Germany and the hardware is open source. I am in contact with the developer since the announcement of this great Brushless Gimbal Controller and it is amazing to see the development done the past years. Here you can see a video by myself at the very beginning where the firmware wasnā€™t at its point as it is now. (If someone is in to it I beta tested dual IMU support there for the dev :grinning:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRuPCPZv4pE There the controller was self soldered and the hardware self build, but now you can get them really cheap on goodluckbuy.

If someone needs some help on set the Gimbal up I think I can help. Also his website http://www.olliw.eu/2013/storm32bgc/ and his wiki http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/Main_Page will help you a lot.

1 Like

To add to all previous discussion, on the topic of Editing software, I use Sony Vegas Pro 13! Iā€™m still amateur when it comes to cinematography, but itā€™s my career goal for when Iā€™m older. Hereā€™s one of my videos, Sony Vegas is extremely proficient when it comes to putting together shorts.

As far as stabilization, I use the GlideCam HD1000. Glidecam is a stabilization rig that uses balanced weight to achieve buttery shots, rather than motorized gimbals! (Although these take A LOT of practice to master, the results are amazing once you know how to use it)

Hereā€™s a test of my Varavon Birdycam Lite rigged with an iPhone 6 + Ztylus Z-Prime 18mm lens + smart bracket + baseplate + Filmic Pro at 50mbps. Iā€™ll shoot some skate footage with it tomorrow.

3 Likes

crazy bro!.. what frame rate is the iphone recording at? do you use a special video app on the phone?

Itā€™s at 1920x1080, 48fps and 50mbps. The app is called Filmic Pro and itā€™s what they used for that Sundance film ā€œTangerineā€ shot completely on iPhone 5. The crappy Instagram compression doesnā€™t do it justice.

Iā€™ve always considered getting filmic, I just might have to get it soon

Ok hereā€™s my first test using the Varavon Birdycam Lite + Ztylus Z-Prime Lens Kit + Filmic Pro. The quality is incredible for an iPhone. All the stuff in the fisheye is my Xiaomi Yi. Keep in mind it is currently 9 degrees in Michigan with rock salt creating potholes and all kinds of hazardous conditions. This board is a blast to ride.

3 Likes

I got to give it to you guys, Iā€™ve been trying to skate for the last week and with this cold weather I havenā€™t man up enough to do it.

Kudos to you and your guys. keep up the nice work you are doing with your videos really well made.

Yeah it is brutal but so much fun especially with a group. I see all those Boosted videos of skinny tech hipsters high fiving on the beach and none of those videos speak to me whatsoever. My boys in Detroit and the crew I grew up with in New York identify with cultural convergence and these overproduced silicon valley skate videos love to ignore all of that.

4 Likes

This is a great thread. I am very amateur in post production. Anything I have edited so far has been simple Vegas Pro 10 cuts. You guys are inspiring.

@RunPlayBack those are some slick edits. Very cool. I will be looking into your blog for inspiration/educationā€¦

I cut this a while ago, previous build. To stabilize my diy gopro pole mount, I taped a mini sledge-hammer to the handle end and then wrapped grip tape around the balance point. :stuck_out_tongue: Primitive, but effective. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitE63i37xA

2 Likes

I just put up my review of the Ztylus Z-Prime for the iPhone 6, a little long but at the end youā€™ll see some skate footage I shot with it. My full review article with gear links here.

I bought a few cheap items to assist me when filming, RunPlayBack really inspired me into making better movies, I really like his workflow but i donā€™t have the $$$ for the gimballed accesoires though :stuck_out_tongue: So right now iā€™m plowing through youtube video tutorials on post processing movies.

Hereā€™s the stuff i bought, i will ofcourse use this for things other than eskate videoā€™s :smile:

They all come from aliexpress, cheap and hopefully effective. Note. Iā€™m using this with a Sony Action Camera. I still have to trade in my EOS400d for a camera body with video capture.

For all of these items in total, it was around 55 EUR / 61 USD

2 Likes

Iā€™m pulling the trigger on this thing soon. DJI continues to kill itā€¦

The phantom is my next investment once I wrap up my first e-board build. They are so easy to fly, and the possibilities for shots are endless with those things!

Yup I have the Phantom 3 Pro, itā€™s never let me down :smile:

Have you ever used a 3DR Solo? Iā€™m asking because iā€™m thinking about getting one. It has a Follow Me mode and several other significant features specifically for shooting action video, and there are a few bundles you can get that include a go pro with gimble and all. For somebody like me who doesnā€™t have anyone to hold a camera or follow them with a camera, it seems perfect.