How to keep balance and ensure I don't wipe out going 20 MPH

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys! I learned quite a bit and will definitely put this info into practice like putting more weight towards the front, bending my knees more, and keeping the front foot more perpendicular to the board than I’ve been having it.

I think the wobble is my main concern so I should just tighten the trucks and practice going higher speeds in empty lots before riding on public roads.

Thanks again guys!

Isn’t this more specific DH posture so you can tuck?

I don’t mean completely sideways, but definitely not so forward facing to be square with the direction you are heading. Maybe between 12-20 degrees forward.

Not a whole lot of forward facing going on in this video, besides tucks, partial tucks, and heelside drifts.

Or put another way the only guys not forward facing are doing 180/360’s looping in/out of switch? :thinking:

2 Likes

Agree with @Cobber . Esk8 is more akin to DH than it is Freeride/Freestyle. Directional, no switch, stability with a purpose in direction. Not so much a dance of de-weighting like Freeride. More so a centered walk on a slackline. Emotionally and physically. Freeride is like a dance with your inner self. Downhill and Esk8 open the doors of understanding your inner self and being at one with it. Free ride more of the present. Downhill being a combination of past and future.

That probably makes no sense. But go down some hills, you might see what I mean @CHAINMAILLEKID

2 Likes

That speed stance… :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I’ve been down a hill or two before.

I didn’t post that video because I thought it was similar to Eskate, it was just my favorite and go-to video and just the first thing I pulled up when looking for an example.

So, yeah.

1 Like

This one? :slight_smile:

com-resize (1)

2 Likes

I went for an awesome ride today and was mindful of my stance after reading this thread. I noticed for myself, i have a way more carvy stance. Almost more like snowboarding but with more forward lean. I adjusted my stance to be more like yours. It makes a lot of sense for stable fast lines. Keeps your center of gravity low and directly above your front axle. Buuuuuttttt… at 10s rolling around 25 mph in flats, I’ll stick with the carvy stance. Thanks for the write up. Very informative.

2 Likes

Helmet Gloves.

Tightening the rear truck slight more than the front truck can help with high speed stability. Likewise harder rear bushings.

Upgrading the bushings to some high quality after market ones can make a HUGE difference to how stable and controlled the trucks feel. Start here

If you feel a speed wobble starting to come on gently lift off the throttle and try to carve left and right, this will stop the wobble. Speed wobbles can’t really happen while in a turn.

3 Likes

And what about the duck stance from Freestyle snowboarding (-15° / 15°)? bad ? good?

1 Like

Yeah man, that guy obviously looks like a clown. You shouldn’t ever do that. bad form. @okp

1 Like

Love that song. The best stance is the one which you feel comfortable with, and that fit your riding style and your physical abilities.

Never stop exploring our environment, cities, try new things, reconsider what you think was right, change it, learn again, find new spots and share this love with people around you. That’s how I enjoy riding.

Cheers.

8 Likes

Works if you got bindings. As you can yoke on the board.

You see those sky hooks/bindings? Mountain boards have different mechanic. @okp can skate his ass off.

Okp litterly spelled out the spirit of what I’m trying to say.

2 Likes

Duck stance Works for me on every board up to 30 mph. Dont have a faster board…

3 Likes

And that’s fine too if it works for you. But duck stance to me turns into toilet seat. Which doesn’t work for most

1 Like

I never had this Problem but saw it on one guy learing snowboard. after some days he got rid off it.

But generally you want always to stay a bit crouched to get a good dampenening effect with your legs! A rider should never stay straight on the board without bending the knees!!

2 Likes

this is me when I carve

feels good to me to stay nice and low when carving

2 Likes

@sayekim Very nice ‘power’ carves :slight_smile: I tried some myself on pneumatics…

though I hit a rock and totally lost balance for a moment… I guess I will look for better roads when carving next time :smiley:

1 Like

Well, there’s my carving.

Not quite as low, and also not as good of a camera angle.

3 Likes