How to discharge in series and charge in parallel [solved]

Thanks alot guys, I dont know what I’d do without you. I’ll make sure to post lots of pics when I finish my build and receive the VESC’s in a months time :slight_smile:

You could of course save yourself a WHOLE lot of hassle and just grab a “brick” style 12s charger and charge in series.

I use a 6s variant for my board (I have proper 6s RC chargers but this makes it simple and neat)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221213088365?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hey everyone, this is a excerpt of my wiring. I left everything i dont need for this question.

When i charge my board i deplug the xt90 plug from the parallel adapter from the vesc [1]. Then i deplug the parallel adapter (blue filled plugs) [2] After that i plug my dual charger in the two separate charging wires [3]

I am doing part [2] because i think it is not a good idea to have a connection (parallel adapter) between the two batteries. Am i right? Does it matter or do i am able to leave the parallel adapter plugged? Maybe you have a better idea?

My goal is to create an easy solution for charging my board without the need to disconnect anything at all: just plug two charging cables into it and get ready for charging.

Thanks in advance

I think u can leave blue connected and charge w one charger

Well, i have a dual output charger with 2x 400w output.

If i am in a hurry i can charge it (at 16A each battery) in half an hour. (Batteries max charge rate 16A). Also i already soldered it like the diagramm but for my future plan i am looking to get a bms.

For now i just need to know if i can leave the parallel adapter plugged to the batteries?

So, your only running 6S?

Yes, only 6S at the moment.

I agree with @Hummie. If you charge in parallel both batteries have the same connection. Therefore, their is no need for a second charger. You could get a parallel 6s balance adapter like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parallel-2x-JST-XH-Balance-Adapter-6S-/301177571701?hash=item461f950975:g:a8MAAOSwv0tU~3EY

Although the balance leads probably shouldn’t be hit with more than 3 amps.

How to charge in series? I have 2x6S in series and I need to charge it with 6S charger. I dont want to unscrew 4 screws every time… I can do ports in case and so on…

you cant do (2) 6s packs in series with a 6s max charger.

but you could simply parallel charge them. I dont know if your charger could monitor all 12 cells though and doubt it.

I usually charge my batteries on separate chargers if I run them in series. Usually it’s two 3s batteries to give me 6s. So, two 3s chargers. I leave the balance plugs on the outside of the enclosure. If you leave them in series and try to use the parallel adapter I listed above, I believe you would fry the adapter.

I merged these topics because the same info is covered.

Thank you very much. Somehow I did not find this thread but it is very helpfull!

This sounds like a plan!

Love your diagram I think this is what I’m going to try to do One question, is there a reason I couldn’t combined the 2 charge leads into one (so there is only one XT-60 for charging) if I’m going to be charging in parallel?

Read again, that is what LowGuido said.

If u connect the batteries to a single plug they will be permanently in parallel and then u can’t break the connection to do series.

I think he just means a parallel harness that he connects the two batteries to for charging. That would work.

Yea if he removes the plug/connection when riding.

Ok, is there a way to do this replacing the XT-90s loop key with TB’s anti-spark switch?

This would be a solution especailly if u have a 12s system

1 Like