How to discharge in series and charge in parallel [solved]

That’s actually really nice and simple. as lowGuido said it’s probably easier with a charging board and a single charger, but is there any danger to always having the balancers hooked up in parallel?

Having to “only” plug in 3 connectors when charging can’t hurt :smiley:

You can’t have your balance or charge leads connected in parallel while your batteries are connected in series. So basically you’ll need to parallel connect everything on the outside of your board so it can be removed for normal operation. Which means you’ll have two charge ports connected to one charger via a parallel harness and two balance ports connected to a parallel balance board. Plus one loop key port.

If you are going to use separate enclosures I think this way is the best way to change your connection between parallel and series. Also you don’t have to buy a new charger.

I am using two 5s2p Li-ion batteris. The xt60 connectors from batteries are glued together. When I am charging the board I connect the parallel connector and parallel balancing connector. When riding I use the series connector. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thanks alot guys, I dont know what I’d do without you. I’ll make sure to post lots of pics when I finish my build and receive the VESC’s in a months time :slight_smile:

You could of course save yourself a WHOLE lot of hassle and just grab a “brick” style 12s charger and charge in series.

I use a 6s variant for my board (I have proper 6s RC chargers but this makes it simple and neat)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221213088365?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hey everyone, this is a excerpt of my wiring. I left everything i dont need for this question.

When i charge my board i deplug the xt90 plug from the parallel adapter from the vesc [1]. Then i deplug the parallel adapter (blue filled plugs) [2] After that i plug my dual charger in the two separate charging wires [3]

I am doing part [2] because i think it is not a good idea to have a connection (parallel adapter) between the two batteries. Am i right? Does it matter or do i am able to leave the parallel adapter plugged? Maybe you have a better idea?

My goal is to create an easy solution for charging my board without the need to disconnect anything at all: just plug two charging cables into it and get ready for charging.

Thanks in advance

I think u can leave blue connected and charge w one charger

Well, i have a dual output charger with 2x 400w output.

If i am in a hurry i can charge it (at 16A each battery) in half an hour. (Batteries max charge rate 16A). Also i already soldered it like the diagramm but for my future plan i am looking to get a bms.

For now i just need to know if i can leave the parallel adapter plugged to the batteries?

So, your only running 6S?

Yes, only 6S at the moment.

I agree with @Hummie. If you charge in parallel both batteries have the same connection. Therefore, their is no need for a second charger. You could get a parallel 6s balance adapter like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parallel-2x-JST-XH-Balance-Adapter-6S-/301177571701?hash=item461f950975:g:a8MAAOSwv0tU~3EY

Although the balance leads probably shouldn’t be hit with more than 3 amps.

How to charge in series? I have 2x6S in series and I need to charge it with 6S charger. I dont want to unscrew 4 screws every time… I can do ports in case and so on…

you cant do (2) 6s packs in series with a 6s max charger.

but you could simply parallel charge them. I dont know if your charger could monitor all 12 cells though and doubt it.

I usually charge my batteries on separate chargers if I run them in series. Usually it’s two 3s batteries to give me 6s. So, two 3s chargers. I leave the balance plugs on the outside of the enclosure. If you leave them in series and try to use the parallel adapter I listed above, I believe you would fry the adapter.

I merged these topics because the same info is covered.

Thank you very much. Somehow I did not find this thread but it is very helpfull!

This sounds like a plan!

Love your diagram I think this is what I’m going to try to do One question, is there a reason I couldn’t combined the 2 charge leads into one (so there is only one XT-60 for charging) if I’m going to be charging in parallel?

Read again, that is what LowGuido said.

If u connect the batteries to a single plug they will be permanently in parallel and then u can’t break the connection to do series.

I think he just means a parallel harness that he connects the two batteries to for charging. That would work.