Hobbyking in the esk8 market?

For what it’s worth, I am running the HK esc on FOC mode and so far so good. 8S pushing a Racestar 5065 motor.

In fact when I loaded up the BLDC took it was in default in FOC mode for some reason.

1 Like

i am using this kit for more than a month works perfectly is my 3 long i build and i have to say that the engine mount is well done and the engine has an amazing torque i am still trying to set the optimal configuration to make the start smoother, sorry my very bad english

1 Like

I’m a bit late to the party but I got one of these kits (+ 2x Turnigy 5S 5000mA). My first ever esk8 ride was on my 34" board with this kit and I’m impressed. Can’t say how much better/worse it is than any other kits.

I spent about 3-4 hours putting this together as I wanted it in an enclosure and nice and tidy (I’m an ex-electronics engineer).

Well-impressed by the torque (not even full-throttle yet). Don’t care about the speed. If anything this kit would good at informing the new rider.

ALSO: keen to know if this would fit the ABEC-11 wheels. Any offering to measure some bolt-hole spacings for me?

Alright, my verdict after a couple months with this setup: It’s a really solid kit. Seriously. For the money, I’m absolutely chuffed overall. Also fwiw, I’ve been running the kit in FOC since day one on 12s with no issues at all, and I ride it hard. I live halfway up mount tamalpais, CA and ride to the top and back on a regular basis.

Anyone who’s considering this kit, here’s my advice to get the most out of it: 1: don’t touch those battery straps with a ten foot pole. Make yourself a decent enclosure and do it right. Lipos and road rash don’t mix. 2: take the time to tune the vesc. Do the motor calibration, everything. It’s smooth out of the box, but even smoother once really tuned right. 3: replace the bushings immediately. Get yourself some nipples off Amazon and install them. The stock bushings make for an almost unrideable board. 4: make sure to loctite everything, especially the screws that clamp the mount to the truck. Otherwise you’re asking for trouble. (Ask me how I found out)

Do that, and you’ll have a really sweet board for a great price, especially considering the convenience of getting all your main electronics in one package and not needing to hunt around.

PS. This kit is bonkers on 12s. Seriously fast, and the acceleration is stupid. Take it easy the first few rides.

6 Likes

Agreed, although I have no experience. I was sure that an entry-level-ish kit like this would have compromises… it’s nice to know that no-one has found one yet (aside from bushings I guess).

Sucks being remote (NZ) and having to ship stuff (like from Amazon).

Does anyone know the wheel diameter of this conversion kit?

When having to order wheels, they tend to be quite expensive when shipping costs are included. However, having the right sized wheels for your preference and the normal surface you ride on is important. I myself have already made an good powerful board that cost me quite a lot of money, but a friend of mine that is interested in building his own board does not have the same budget as me, and this really seems like a sensible kit.

Also: Is the motor mount actually good sturdy, or is it just a cheaply madeplate that could crack easily?

The HK site says specifically what the wheel diameter is (83mm maybe?).

There is another thread somewhere that talks about the mount. One or two people had an issue with it but I have had no problem whatsoever. Definitely a sturdy mount (from my limited experience).

Thanks @skelstar! I read through it so many times, but I guess I somehow must have missed it. HK says that the wheel diameter is 87.8mm, which seems like an okay size for most people and environments.

I did a little deeper digging regarding the motor mount. Its only “faults” / disadvantages seems to be that (naturally) it does not fit all motors, but seem to work well with for most 63mm motors (??). It is also not symmetrical, making it a bad fit for dual rear or dual front drives. It should however work well with a dual diagonal setup.

1 Like

I installed a HK motor mount on one of my eboards and it hold on very sturdy, its been about a month now and no complaints, very good mount for the price and make sure you have caliber trucks to install it on, may not work for others, the only other trucks it works on is HK trucks.

hi, l have 2 like theses, they work great on 8s+ why pay 300$ if you can pay less but only time will tell if they are reliable but a great cooling is the key and don’t drive them at full burst they come very fast hot

i also bought one kit, but in the second ride i changed the bearings for a RED BONES. for me made a huge difference.

i am still running a 6s 5000mah(i´ve already bought a 10s 6000mah like they recommend). in 6s the max speed that i got was 16kmh, which for me is too much slow

soooo i had to switch to a motor that i borrowed from a friend of mine, a 220kv 6355. now i can get the max speed of 33kmh. It is insane.

Read it boys: @PennE lives where mountainbike was invented. Mount Tamalpais, the very cradle of that sport, the steepest mountain on the bay area. That’s the place where he tested this HB VESC.

1 Like

Haha :smiley: so it should be “MounTAMbike” lol! Right, right? :monkey:

6 Likes

Will you post screen shots of your setting

the motor mount works perfect with my sk3 turnigy

how are the motor mounts for doing dual? i see that theyr spose go on the left … is there a dual motor mount or way to diy them? and do they fit on torqueboards 218mm trucks?

i have one of this motor mount and you basicly cant mount two motor mount just because there isn´t enough space, unless you put the other motor mount in front?! it is a little akward . if you want i can take a picture for you…

1 Like

ya thatd be great thanks, i seen a few people say they had to change the motor to the other side tho so makes me think the motor mount /pulley kit only works on one side ? im getting tb218mm rear truck so all good for size

as you can see the length between wheels is basicly 15cm this isnt the original motor that comes in the kit, this is a little smaller than the original…

this is the wheels and trucks that comes with the kit

if want another picture just let me know

ya but im gunna use tb218mm rear truck… they are 218mm not 180 like caliber trucks or those so they fit dual 6374 motors