Bluetooth HM-10 not discoverable on Android 8.0/8.1 Oreo

Alright so it seems. Thanks for confirming that I will look into Android 8 vs BLE and report back here. Or do you have any insights into this issue, @Deckoz?

I have created a topic on the Google support forum. Could become very handy I hope!

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!category-topic/nexus/connecting-to-networks-and-devices/nexus-5x/QxcbWBsnvWc

Indeed this is normal the HM10 low power bluetooth device. Any app designed for low powered bluetooth devices will see it and connect for you.

My Sony Z5 sees is but wouldnt pair, which left me scratching my head for a while. Opened up ACKMANIAC-ESC Monitor and bam, it found and connected to it instantly.

Im using 7.1.1

1 Like

I have made some changes to the topic to be more aimed at the problem (Android 8 vs HM-10) since it has become clear that BLE devices aren’t supposed to show up in your phones Bluetooth settings.

Thanks for double-confirming this @danielz!

It seems that Google is working on a fix for bluetooth, but mostly focused on BT headphones issues. Same for Wifi, I have so many trouble with it, consuming a lot more of mobile data (issue also known by Google). Do the 8.1 update correct some of these issues ? My phone sticks to 8.0 and says that I’m up to date…

I can confirm the OnePlus 3T on 8.0.0 does not work, 7.x.x was fine. Will update if anything changes

1 Like

Didn’t read the whole thread tbh and don’t know of this is relevant for you, but for me the ackmaniac app doesn’t find the hm 10 unless both BT and GPS is turned on on my sony xperia.

1 Like

Hi @Pimousse AFAIK I don’t have any issues with Wifi, but I cant say anything about Bluetooth since I don’t own bluetooth headphones. Here is a screenshot from my data usage this month running on Android 8.1. I have a data limit of 5GB

Measured with the app Data Usage Monitor (non root)

In my opinion Android 8.1 runs flawlessly and much faster. Gives this feeling I got a brand new phone. I definitely recommend. You do have to sign up for the beta program, but that is fairly easy these days. Just register your phone here, thats all http://www.android.com/beta Okay it’s beta software but as long as I’m using it I haven’t got into any problems. Downgrading is as easy as unregistering your device on the same page

@scepterr once I find out it works with a upcoming update I will let you know in this topic :wink:

@Sebike this wasn’t discussed before so good to know !

Has anyone tried the official 8.1.0 update which was launched a few days ago to see if BLE is fixed? Can’t find any answers with my quick Google search

@GunnarK i dont have this module, but i use a bt05-a module for other apps. I can confirm STILL BROKEN in 8.1

@trancer23 what device do you have? Apparently the official 8.1 is only available to pixel 2 (XL) and Nexus 6p

I have a pixel 2 (not xl) on verizon. I was on the developer beta build, and got a notice to update to the official.

My build is Android 8.1.0 Security Patch level: December 5, 2017

1 Like

Just got an update on my OnePlus 3T, still 8.0.0 but Bluetooth WORKS! :smiley::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

New Pixel owner also looking for answers on this. Any Pixel owners managed to get it working?

Download some ble check app to see if your phone has ble

Just download ackmaniacs app and it should connect without pairing

Its BLE usually not visible in bluetooth options as I know

I have a 1st gen pixel and its always worked. I have an upgrade to the Pixel 2 sitting here on my desk, just haven’t moved to it. Took it out of the box, did a rudimentary setup, connected to the @Ackmaniac VESC app, no problems. Both of my pixels are on Verizon, not sure if that matters or not, but any info helps I guess.

1 Like

What version of Android does it have?

@Acido that’s not the issue there’s a bug in Android 8 that breaks some BLE functionality

1 Like

The phone immediately requested an update as soon as I turned it on, its currently at 8.1 and works. I did not try it with the original load.

1 Like

So @mmaner you are running the official build. Not a beta?

I currently running 8.1 beta on Nexus 5x, it should receive a new patch in a few days if I’m correct. Hopefully there’s a fix in that, otherwise I might revert back to 8.1 official

@Acido that is not the issue. Nonetheless worth mentioning. I didn’t know this in the first place either…!