High Power 10s Lipo Battery Pack with BMS

What kind of power supply should I need for 5S2P X2 in series with a 10A chrage? 42V 20A?

2-5a should suffice I recommend 2a for cell longevity

OK then Iā€™ll get lower ampere, but is it 42V? same voltage as the full state of battery? Or could I get a lower V one?

You want to match full voltage either charge 5s2p is not 42v though

What I meant is, as I wasnā€™t clear, that there are 4 packs, 2X 5S in series and those two are in parallel to other 2 packs. So 42V ?

Ok, that would be a 10s2p and 42v charge. Power supplies come either 30v max or 60v max so youā€™ll need a 60v power supply with CC/CV output. A 60v 10a CC/CV power supply would be very expensive. I recommend a 60v 5a which is what I use and it works just fine.

Is this considered expansive? Or should I stay away from those products at that price point?

Thatā€™s the wrong type of power supply.

This is what I use. Adjustable voltage and current. Constant Current/Constant Voltage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G0HAY3U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_gVQX1iuDemiIz

2 Likes

I use this one for my 10s battery pack:

1 Like

Thank you both, but Stan won for the competitive pricing :slight_smile:

Iā€™m considering charging them in series, I was thinking about making a switch, or perhaps using my anti spark switch if possible to manipulate batteries status from parallel to series. Much like this switch: http://www.instructables.com/id/SIMPLE-ParallelSeries-Select-Switch/

What do you guys think?

Please guys, I need to know if it makes sense so I can purchase the correcr BMS, should I go with 10S BMS and parallel charge or 20S with a higher voltage PSU and a switch, is it safe?

I think a switch like that wonā€™t last 1 day if you switch it under power.

1 Like

12s is the limit for the motors and controllers that we use.

1 Like

Maybe I didnā€™t explain myself as well as I wanted. This switch is ONLY after I disconnect the batteries from the motors (powering down the system), and it is only for charging, not to be consumed by the motors. A fail safe mechanism may be in order. 10S in parallel when riding, 20S when charging.

How do you purpose to balance charge a 20s battery?

With a 20S BMS. It was proposed by Lucy from Bestech.

So your going to connect the bms to charge and disconnect it to ride ?

I didnā€™t think about that, you are right, Iā€™d need to disconnect the BMS before powering up the system.

For parallel charging the lipos the best and most effective way is to use a nice charger and a good, beefy PSU. I use the ISDT SC620, 20A charger and a ex-server 500W PSU (small, light and around 40A@12V charging capabilities). I can charge 2x 4S 5000 mAh in under 30 minutes from like 3.7V per cell to full charge at 4.2V - thatā€™s in parallel @ 10A. In case of 3x 4S 5000 mAh setup Iā€™ll just ramp the amps up to 15A and get the same charging time. Itā€™s gold.

1 Like

The popular belief is that itā€™s not good to fast charge lithium batteries, especially Lipos.