Help with Stealth | hi5ber, Zenith | Caliber 2 | single R-spec 190kv | Custom Carbon Enclosure | Spacecell | VESC

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Blank-Pro-90mm-Lime-Longboard-Flywheels-ABEC-7-Bearing-Spacers-/141727700938?nav=SEARCH

They are just like these. Got them off ebay, and picked up the bearings from Zumiez in the mall when I build my son a board for the park.

They should work. I think @torqueboards uses blank pro’s. He may give you some advice on mounting them.

they should be compatible with the 36T wheel pulley we supply in our kits.

Probably just need to drill it out a little with a 6mm drill bit. nothing major.

Will the r-spec motor fit my criteria for this build? Also can anyone help me with how many mahogany I need in a battery setup?

Id start with a minimum of 5000 mahogany :stuck_out_tongue:

(LOL I think you mean mAh mili Amp hours)

read this: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/what-is-battery-c-rating-is-it-important-for-electric-skateboards/36

it has a lot of info about batteries, not much about wood though :smile:

1 Like

Haha, that’s a good auto correct.

I have a 5,000mah 6s 25c battery, and I usually get 8 miles off my single 50mm motor. I’d recommend you put two 5000mah in parallel to give you some extra range. The good thing about this is that you can always buy one 5,000mah 6s at first, and if you aren’t satisfied with the range it’s easy to add a second.

For the speeds you want though, you may want to go up in voltage (6s -> 8s, 10s, or 12s) to be able to get the speed you want without loosing a ton of torque. Don’t get me wrong, it’s perfectly doable with a simple 6s setup, but if you can afford higher voltages they are always worth it. Both of my first two builds were 6s, so don’t feel pressured into thinking you need all that power- especially with flats. It’s just there if you want to go that route.

An enertion kit + 245kv turnigy sk3 63mm motor and 6s should yield around the speeds you are looking for. I have a 245kv setup right now geared 13/36, and I hit 20-22mph (I believe the stock enertion gearing is 14/36 or 15/36 which will be slightly faster, giving you your desired speeds)

For a higher voltage setup (if this is something you’d want, again, it’s all personal preference/budget) I’d get an Enertion 190kv 63mm motor (best motor out there) + 10s (two 5s in series, or an Enertion SPACE cell battery: I have the space cell, and it’s pretty legit) + either a VESC esc (it is a little more complex than plug and play, but nothing unreasonable. anyone could figure it out by reading a thread or watching a setup video) or a Torqueboard’s 145amp esc.

Again, the higher voltage means higher cost, but it’s also higher performance. If that’s not what you want to get into (I totally understand) than 6s is still pretty freakin sweet.

Good luck!

Cost isn’t a huge issue, of course I would like to keep it as low as possible but I always want ro be more than just content with my build. Like I said I was going to shell out 1,300-1,500 for a name brand board before I decided to go this route.

Where can I find a Torqueboards esc?

then honestly, in your situation I’d just go the high voltage route. you’ll still save 300sih dollars give or take, as a 10s setup of the following set me back 950-1000 dollars in the end with misc stuff like some extra wire and connectors added in: enertion mount enertion 190kv enertion space cell torqueboard’s esc + programming card(I’d get a VESC though- the amp draw on the torqueboard’s is a little too much for the space cell, and you can easily blow the batteries fuse) link for ya if you still want to get it, and use it with lipo’s (which it works perfectly with): product/torqueboards-12s-120a-car-esc-opto-hv/ castle BEC (will need a 10s BEC to power you remote reciever- don’t need it for the vesc though) abec flywheels 83mm arbor timeless walnut deck caliber trucks flysky GT2B remote

like I said, the only think I would change is take off the torqueboard’s esc ($145+ tax + $20 shipping +the programming card for that which is an extra $15), and the castle BEC ($10-15) for a VESC (simply $120ish). You’d save like $70, and it’s a better setup for the space cell (which is well worth it).

So I think I am going to go with: Enertion 190kv r-spec motor Enertion single truck mount The Space Cell battery (mostly because it seems to be the simplest set up for a new guy) I will do a Flysky 2.4ghz transmitter And I think I will try to do the vesc (but I am a little nervous about setting that up, I’m hoping it won’t be to bad.

Does anyone have anything else to add? Except the board and hardware am I forgetting something?

You’ll need a box to put everything in. @psychotiller makes these awesome vacuum molded ABS boxes. He might sell you one if you give him some specs.

I made my own out of fiberglass which was enlightening as well as very smelly. If you’re brave you might try that approach as well.

Also, order extra belts. You probably won’t get the pulleys perfectly aligned the first time and if you don’t you’ll wear out your belts quicker than normal.

And don’t forget the thread locker! Thread lock EVERYTHING.

I have alot of experience with working with carbon fiber, so I plan to build a box out of that.

1 Like

have you considered making a whole deck from carbon?? I think that will be my next project…

I have, but for my first go at it I have my eye on a bamboo/fiberglass longboard deck as my starting point. Plus I have never attempted to build a carbon board of any kind. Plus everything else that goes with building an e-board is already an experiment for me. So maybe next time if this goes well.

VESC isn’t as hard to set up as everyone eludes to. Windows, Mac, or Lunux; doesn’t matter what you have, it all will work. There are videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utZSvkY3Z0U

Edit: didn’t mean to reply to you @longhairedboy -meant for @King1017

1 Like

@longhairedboy Thanks for the PR!

So does the software already come installed on the vesc? Or is that something that needs to be bought extra?

don’t follow what lox put- it isn’t necessary… you don’t need all that confusing stuff.

Just search (on this forum) for BLDC tool. Two forum posts (one for windows, one for mac) will pop up, and you download the BLDC program for whatever operating system you are on. It is as easy as that: one program. @lox897 was linking you to something that comes pre installed on the VESC