Help with an all Enertion parts build

You want something constructive from me

Learn and read …

This is basic stuff…if you don’t know tha basics…you should have had Enertion or @longhairedboy build you a board.

Read and educate yourself

Calm down you two. @Dilinski you seem to have some great parts matching together, tell us exactly what you were hoping for on this forum…For what I’ve seen you only need a Y connection from your space cell 4 to both of the Vesc’s to get your build powered and running…

Hell no…

You wanna spend a few paragraphs explaining a Y connection?

Wants all the benefits without the work

Awesome! I’ll look into a Y connector and servo cable as Blasto mentioned, I’ll make sure I do a little more research on some of the aforementioned items.

@Michaelinvegas, you’re a respected member of this forum, and yes, even I enjoy your builds and comments. But this attitude, I cannot respect ! Give me the same hard time as you would @Dilinski and I would call you out for it. You should know better…

1 Like

Wow. Looks like an interesting intro. Welcome to the forum @Dilinski. I like your old deck - can see you’ve got some miles on wheels there. Like you i got more into longboarding, then e-sk8 (after rode my buddies boosted dual+) - helps with knees that just aren’t as happy as they used to be.

Nothing new here - but you do need to do some reading and start educating yourself. If you lived closer, i’d meetup and lend you a hand (I’m in Seattle). it’s really awesome way to get around and be on a board!

Besides the what’s what you need to get read up on - the most helpful part i’ve found is looking at other’s builds and seeing what you like! You have a great start already and less work to get it all working together compared to a miss-mash of parts from several places, but a few steps to finish it.

Definitely recommend you get some wire. I like the superworm and wet noodle on Amazon (convenient and reasonable $). I’d get 12 awg wire. Get some XT-60 connectors. I’d also check out a simple loop key if an anti-spark isn’t on your list. The higher voltage of your SPACE cell will give you a pretty good “pop!” spark when connecting. The simplest and cheapest way to eliminate (i think) is an XT90 anti-spark loop key: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/how-to-anti-spark-xt-90-loop-key/204

Do you have a decent soldering iron? Any previous experience soldering? It’s not necessarily needed, as you can usually buy some pre-made wires to connect stuff, but they rarely are the right length you need - so you end up with too long of one (or several) and it just becomes a “spaghetti” mess of wires stuffed into your enclosure. Making your own the exact length you need is really helpful. Plus you get to practice your soldering which is a great skill to develop for esk8!

Welcome and GL! ask away and we’ll give you a hand.

3 Likes

Here we go with an right attitude against newbies !! (I sound like a mod or something but heeey, chill we’re all here to have fun !)

It wasnt a hard time at first … I even posted the link on the how to VESC?

part of this is a “little” research and is apparent none was done

I should know better?

Enough of this keep the thread headed forward

Loop key is not needed in this case, he has a space cell pro 4, all that jazz is intergrated

1 Like

Circling back on a couple of your questions - no, most likely they will have no idea. It’s not a super common thing quite yet (we’re trying to make it a lot more common!). The xt-60 connectors i’d get from HobbyKing or Amazon. You’ll pay more for Amazon, but get it a lot quicker.

https://www.amazon.com/Finware-Female-Bullet-Connectors-Shrink/dp/B01ETROGP4

10 pairs w/ some shrink tube.

here’s a “Y” cable - but unfortunately it’s reversed (you need a single Female to dual Male plugs) the one pictured here is backwards from what you need with a single male to dual females: But hopefully it helps you understand what you need. This will take the single plug from your SPACE cell (which will be a female plug - into two male plugs - one into each VESC to provide them power.

Then on your VESC you need to connect them to your Rx (receiver - the handheld remote you have is your Tx (transmitter)). You can run a split servo connector (similar to Y cable for power - just 3 wire servo cable instead) one to each VESC (cut power (red wire) on one as the other will power your Rx), or connect two wires to their canbus connectors on each VESC (takes a bit more configuration in the software/BLDC tool) - but also gives you traction control and couple other things.

@Blasto - thanks i wasn’t sure. So disregard the loop key. build into your nice SPACE cell.

The bare wires on your VESCs - you need to solder (i’d also heat shrink them after to protect metal from touching and shorting the phase wires), the female connectors to match the R-Spec motor wires.

1 Like

Thanks sl33py! I will research and purchase these items and brush up on my soldering (its been quite some time). Honestly I mostly just want what Enertion promised these parts would get me, 10+ miles range and just a tad more top speed and acceleration from the boost that I can make small adjustments to through the BLDC, nothing crazy (maybe later on lol) . If someone has already done a bottom up enertion parts dual motor build on here, please direct me!

Search is your friend here Dylan. If you go to the top - right next to your icon (round) there’s the “hamburger” - options, and far left - Search icon.

Search - “Dual R-Spec SPACE cell”: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/search?q=Dual%20R-Spec%20SPACE%20cell

Quite a few responses and thread w/ this. Clicking the one that looks really close to your build: I like @E-Boarding’s build as it’s really similar to yours (with a lot of pictures to help (i’m a visual person)):

Another is @Chris604 's build:

Some good reading and hopefully gives you some ideas.

I’d definitely get a good soldering iron and solder ordered up if you don’t have an old one to dust off. You can always use a lighter for the heatshrink, but a good iron for making connectors on heavier 12awg wire is really helpful.

HTH - GL!

Edit: what @sl33py said

Hey @Dilinski,

I’m in South San Francisco, let me know if you need any help with any of this in person. It’s nice to see more bay area esk8ers.

You guys have all been so incredibly helpful, and in such a short amount of time! And @Jinra , that sounds way too awesome! I promise I’ll post progress pics for all the help you guys have given me, Jinra is it alright if I PM you?

Of course! :slight_smile:

Hey Dilinski…

I am the designer of all those parts, i can tell you that most of the work is already done…

in fact, most of the complex stuff that needs hours of research and pages and pages of reading & research can now be avoided…

making complex systems easy to use & “Plug & Play” has been my mission for over 2 years… and i am 90% there…

Unfortunately the last few pieces of the puzzle are now in your hands and you need to work it out… But have some faith in yourself… you can do it!

I suggest watching the video below, it might help with the basic connection questions…

NOTE: you will need a soldering iron & some wires & stuff…

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement and for making an awesome beginners DYI kit for newbies like myself. I feel like I’ve watched all of your videos except for this one, I think I’ve got most of what I need and I’m fairly certain I can put the pieces together now. If I can just ask, where do you get your wiring for the receiver, the female bullets, and the Y connector? Or at the least, what do you properly call them? I’d honestly just prefer to use what you’re using since its all made by you. Thanks!

the wire for receiver to vesc are simply called “jumper leads cables” search ebay. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40pcs-20cm-Female-To-Female-Dupont-Wire-Jumper-Cable-for-Arduino-Breadboard-/261750839971?hash=item3cf190daa3:g:~34AAOSw2s1UyJP8

i don’t use “Y” connector i solder the two vesc together at the capacitor boards.

just remember there are 10 ways to do everything and none of them are wrong.

You should also do a search for dual raptors, basically the same parts as your build…made by Enertion, but with their carbon fiber deck. I’m sure there will be some pics of a dual raptor opened up, which will give you an idea how everything goes together. If you can’t find any pics, let me know and I’ll send you a few.

Having recently built my first two esk8s, I know how frustrating the learning curve can be. Just know this forum is filled with great people who will frequently go out of their way to help others and share their knowledge, @Michaelinvegas included. That said, I found it helpful to detail my efforts to find answers via the search function when asking others for help. This lets everyone know what you’ve already read/learned and usually helps you develope more specific questions that generally lead to better/faster solutions.