Having 2nd thoughts on going DIY vs Pre-Built

Get a ollin board that’s what I would get if I hadn’t gone diy. Its pricey but chaka is a guy you can trust

1 Like

Kinda funny while you were saying that I was looking at their products haha

Yeah for sure defiantly possible

1 Like

Even with prebuilts, most warranties are only 6 months and you have to pay to ship the board in some cases (Evolve). Batteries don’t usually break for no reason, and you’re more likely to break something mechanical if you have your settings right. The quality of diy is up to you and depends on how much care and consideration you put in your board.

Like Nate said, it’s a leap of faith, but it’s much more rewarding. It’s priceless when people ask you if that’s a boosted or Evolve and you can just say “I made this”.

5 Likes

Yeah is there a video somewhere where it will go through the WHOLE process from mounting the motors to programming the thing?

Unfortunately there’s no one stop shop for all your needs for diy, but these threads are very helpful.

Enertion’s videos on YouTube can help you immensely on understanding and building your drive train as well.

1 Like

I’ve ridden a few Evolves now and have been impressed. Not a ton of miles on them, but swap and ride eachother’s boards type riding. Smooth and i really liked the feel of the remote.

The new Carbon GT is S E X Y ! ! ! and miles galore.

I also would suggest Ollin’s board - great range and power, while also pretty stealthy. Not the lightest though, especially compared to the raptor.

Take the dive - the DIY water is fine! (and we have cookies)

Yeah lol the Ollin board is overkill for me 10-15miles seems to be the sweet spot

With Long haired Boy you can order a custom pre-made board. Ollin may do custom boards also, I’m not sure. Diy is a time consuming hobby that requires tools, equipment, mechanical and electrical skills. If all you want to do is ride, then your better off with a pre-built LoL, I think I spend more time on the forum and working on my board than I do riding it!

In that case, on the productions boards i would go Boosted v2, Evolve, Marbel (gets a bad rap, but their customer service blows chunks for sure).

DIY’ish - LHB, Raptor, Ollin. Good entry level and you can still fix/repair anything that has issues - components and replaceable.

one thing on Ollin’s setup is his 2 year warranty! That’s pretty badass and speaks to his commitment on what he builds.

Yeah for sure haha

Yeah I am talking to a couple people again to ask a couple questions regarding DIY and parts to use and why.

2 year warranty rocks! what is the warranty on LHB’s builds?

I gotta get some ZZZZZ surfs up tomorrow

1 Like

I think 1 year? But knowing @longhairedboy though, I’m almost certain the guy will stand behind his products for sure.

1 Like

Enertion has a pretty good setup for first timers mate, buy a space cell from them (unless you have a curved board, I wouldn’t) buy the dual drive kit from them and then get a VESC from Chaka

it seems like the best prebuilt is still boosted, but you already had that. The new battery should help, but pretty much everything else is the same.

If you want to try out my diy board let me know, its only a single 6374 but i can hit 24mph, pull up hills, and get 12 - 15 miles per battery pack. swapable and cheap!

You are in Pasadena right?

close by in la, pm me

Curved boards are fine, it’s flexy boards you can’t use with the space cell