Has anyone tried using one of these esc's from ebay before?

@psychotiller so I’m getting one of these escs for my next build and I have an idea of how to go faster than 19mph. Basically you would use a lower kv motor and get most of your speed from the gear ratio. The reason this should work as the esc would have no way of knowing how fast it is going so it would base it on the erpm of the motor. So if we use a low kv motor that doesn’t trip the erpm limit it can spin at its max speed. Then you can just use a low gear ratio like 1.8:1 or 2:1 to get the speed you want as well as large wheels.

Have you made sure that when it only went 19mph it wasn’t in slow mode? Lots have people have tested this board and said that slow mode limits it to 30km/h (19mph) and fast mode tops out at 40km/h (25mph). As for the heat issue a large heat sink on the fets and possibly a small fan should fix this issue.

1 Like

I think @mccloed tried those things as well…Give it a shot though and let us know

definitely gets hot at 10s, recommend at least mounting on a steel or aly plate. speed depends on ratio running 15 32 and 83mm wheels. too much torque for the inbuilt acceleration curve with 83mm wheels better with 97mm wheels. hit 47km/hr with 97mm abec 11’s and the acceleration is much better. by that I mean more natural - not all or nothing as it seems to be with 83mm wheels

1 Like

I want to add a mini voltmeter like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Wire-Red-LED-Panel-Meter-Mini-Digital-Voltmeter-DC-0V-To-99-9V/362126477033?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

but it needs 4-30v to be powered. I do not have sensors on my motors so the connection for the hall sensor is free and has a 5V rail. Do you think it will be a problem just to connect the Mini voltmeter to it (just the 5V and Ground not the other three connections)? I believe it only draws around 230mA.

what up man I used several of these escs they were great but you have to have the enclosures right and they still run on boards I built 8 months ago good top end and smooth bottom as well had easier time than with vescs for the price damn worth it.

2 Likes

What top speed did you get with what setup?

Does anyone know the ebay user that can respond to technical questions?

Has anyone tried to get the firmware and locate the connection to the board so we can upload modified firmware?

I’ve tried the eBay sellers they seem to know nothing about it

Any news/reviews on this? I wanted to try the single motor one for my first board because vescs are too expensive right now (the cheapest is 140 usd shipped here, which is more than triple the price of this one)

I highly recommend using a heat sink with one of these to not worry about heat. I’m currently running one on my meepo conversion and one with a 10s3p pack that @willpark16 made along with 90kv hummie hubs and it’s running surprisingly well…i bet if I didn’t mention that it wasn’t a vesc you might not know the better

a heatsink? how? Do you clamp it to a piece of aluminium on the bottom? pics?

I used all of them and they almost fit perfectly covering the entire bottom of the esc(metal plate)

I guess attaching it directly with thermal paste to a aluminium block would do the same

So you put the esc in upside down ?

This is how I did it, just glue only on the sides

3 Likes

Switched from this ESC (dual drive version) to dual Vesc (because the eBay esc broke)…the difference is night and day, especially when it comes to braking. Maybe the firmware has changed by now, but braking was not progressive. It only had full stop. With VESC I can precisely control the amount of braking, whilst keeping the ride smooth instead of jerky.

The remote of the ebay esc was awesome though. Currently using a bulky gt2e.

interesting. My VESC seems to not have progressive breaking at all, it’s on full all the time.

I am using current no reverse brake and can progressively pull the remote leaver into the opposite direction to increase braking strength.

Using the latest Vesc tool.

Mine comes in Thursday.

looking forward to hearing your impressions