Has Anyone Seen What Acton Is Teasing on Their Website?

The dude on reddit said the motor casing is the same as ewheelin because they had to send the molds to China and everyone copied it from there. But the motors inside are completely unique. According o him. Honestly, watching the evolution of the blink board, the improvements they made with the 2nd gen, I think these new boards are gonna be pretty well put together. And the service/support seems better than boosted. Also the companion app is legit. I think as for as entry level low cost pre builts, this is way better than the chinese clones or that genesis the just started shipping. My guess is that acton will be mainstream like boosted in no time. They’ll be the ford and Chevy of esk8s.

Oh good, then toyota, honda, and nissan (TOP 3) are still open to claim, while your ford and chevys are broken down and bankrupt. :joy:

Yeah that sounds about right. Lol. Doesn’t mean they won’t make a shit ton of money in the mean time. Haha.

I like these. nice looking. cheap. I dont want to put them down but putting it in perspective I wont even sell single hub motors because they’re too weak and that’s all these people are selling. If youre not expecting speed or power these might fit the bill.

6.5 or 5 miles range is their claim but the 72 watt hours it has wont do that (but all the companies hugely exaggerate so no surprise) 15mph max on the regular blink and 10 on the lite version. Wonder how legit this is given companies claims are exaggerated on this too in my experience. The grade of hill they claim it can climb I’d have to see to believe.

There are a few reviews on YouTube of the 2nd gen blinkboard with a hub motor. Seems like most people are confirming the speed and range. Also, according to the acton guys, they improved the battery and the ESC in this new blink s. Sounds like it’s a slight improvement ver the blinkboard and its $150 cheaper. I cant imagine finding a board like this for any cheaper. It’s more like a toy than a vehicle, but for someone on a really tight budget for time and money, this seems like a decent idea.

seems like an awesome deal. haven’t read a bad review yet which is rare for a hub motor board.

and more cheap hub motors: https://ridegenesis.com/collections/electric-skateboards

Oh man. I don’t know about those Genesis boards. They barely started shipping like a week ago and it’s not looking to good in my opinion. They claim some bonkers stuff on their website, like 20 mile range and they’re only getting like 5 out of them. Plus I bunch of problems like once the battery gets down to half, it loses I lot of power. And. If you hit I large enough bumb, the board turns off. And the remote can lose connected while ridding, so you lose your brakes. I’d go with something else in my opinion.

All I keep thinking is how expensive it will be to fix anything… everything is proprietary

I’m not sure about the range, but I can confirm the top speed on the last-gen Blink (Hub version).

As for their current product, it was cheap, and based on what I heard about their first belt-driven model, I had very low expectations. To my surprise, it’s been working out quite well (pushing around 230+lbs) and I use it almost daily. The hubs and trucks look identical to the e-Wheelin/Paradox board and even their remote looks identical (with the internal switch and everything). I suppose who designed it doesn’t matter as much to me, as long as it works.

Maybe I got lucky, but I was impressed enough to order the S2 and the Qu4tro. In the worst case, I’ll have many good rides, something will break, and I’ll build something fun out of the remaining parts. Speaking of which, they’ve recently announced that the S2 gets 2 miles more range than expected (total of 14miles).

The reviews on reddit seem to say that they have drastically lower range, with a decline in top speeds between 6-8 miles (https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricSkateboarding/comments/59w3m8/genesis_hellfire_10_day_40_mile_review/). I wouldn’t trust the board.

That being said, I was reluctantly impressed with the Stinger model. The board may be awful, but it seems to hold up well enough in a skateboard (unless they kept feeding Josh Katz a replacement board every 10 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWAQRqG3IPM).

You’re not alone @itsmikeholland I practice slow speeds when I’m around any traffic. There are too many unknown variables in city settings, for my comfort level, to exceed 20MPH. I’m cool at 15MPH, I still get there on time.

So i bought the indiegogo Blink S for $369 and i just got it a week ago. The board is quality legit. I’m super happy with it. It fulfills every spec that it states. Top speed, range, hill climb, charging time, water resistance. It seems really well made. I’d say it looks better quality then a boosted. I think acton really polished their boards and that’s why they had to virtually rebrand them all together. This is a hug step up from the OG Blink. I’m curious to see how the S2 and Quatro turn out.

I actually just pre-order the qu4dro looking forward to it…hopefully. will make a review when i get it. its suppose to ship on early June :D… BTW if anyone is interested in buying any board from Acton you can use my referral link and get 150 dollar off. ( Yes, i will also get 150 per referral, not trying to scam anyone here.)

I doubt the BLINK QU4TRO will even go to market in the current form, looks like they have some patent infringement hurdles to overcome from stealing the suspension idea from another company…I wonder if Avenue trucks knows about this thing yet, looks like a local company to them too…wow

They seem to be partnered

Yeah no, they are not, talked to Avenue already, there’s an interesting backstory, but yeah, no, they are not working together on it…

Not after January the 1st. Longhaired dude pockets will be empty by then, he just warn me a few days ago. Little weasel is raising the price on them Witchblades. He want me to get one before Jesus Christ birthday.

Looks like solid and pure. Happy to get this one here. lol

Suspension

I suspect the suspension system will polarize a lot of people. The main problem here is physics.

Here’s the thing. Currently, the way a regular TKP (traditional kingpin) or RKP (reverse kingpin) truck is set up, there’s a pivot cup and a kingpin that forces the truck to only rotate in a sort of semi-circular fashion in one plane around the pivot point. In other words, the truck rotates around the axis determined by the pivot point and the kingpin keeps it in place. However, with Acton’s suspension trucks, in addition to the regular RKP single plane rotation, the suspension is further allowed to deform in infinite directions due to the nature of the design. See my beautifully drawn graphic for an example of what I mean:

Keep in mind that in a traditional suspension, you only want yourself to be suspended along one axis. If you need to be suspended along more than one axis, you add more distinct axis along which to be suspended. You almost never want yourself to be suspended in all possible axis, because then you’re really just jiggling around. That’s what’s happened with the suspension on the Qu4tro: You’re really just… jiggling, which prevents you from properly turning or carving with confidence at any reasonable speed. The suspension will deform and neutralize the majority of your turn. It’s honestly not great, and the default hard bushing Acton includes doesn’t make it any better.

Edit: Avenue, the makers of the original suspension trucks, have informed me that they have in no way licensed their suspension trucks for Acton, nor are they working with Acton on suspension trucks. Here is their statement:

“In my opinion Acton’s suspension has many flaws in its design, much so that I wouldn’t step on it for possibility of failure. We have warned them about the implications of their design as they skipped what we found to be ‘very necessary processes to ensure the integrity of the baseplate’ Yet they chose to ignore us and run with their design anyways as they obviously wanted to go around our patents as 'best they could’, or so they thought. Sounds like your Quatro 4 test confirmed many of my suspicions regarding their flaws to be true. Ultimately I’d hate to see someones Acton suspension system break and fail at top speed on a board in traffic resulting in injury or worse… simply because Acton didn’t want to license our design properly.”

I’d originally written a review on Avenue TKP suspension trucks modded onto my Carbon GT and quite enjoyed it, so please do not let this review scare you away from suspension trucks!

3 Likes

Thank you for your thorough reply on the matter, really gathered some important info there so thanks on that, on another topic I would love to ask you if by any chance you think a Baseplate Swap would be possible for a direct drive set up using the Avenue RKP version. I know Avenue says clearly on their site that they do not recommend that and it will not work if you try it but I think I saw another post where someone used Hubs and managed something that works ok in my opinion. On the back, he used Evolve hanger with an Avenue gen1 (sk8) base plate and it seems that it works. My intention is to buy the RKP baseplates and put the hanger with my direct drive do you think that is doable? Thanks

1 Like