Hand Lay Carbon Fiber Wrapping / Skinning Without Vacuum Bagging

Beautifully done. Your epoxy skill is impressive.

2 Likes

If you are using a mold, then you need to do vacuum bagging. This method is to apply it permanently to the parts.

It works well with 3d printed enclosures.:smiley:

MasterCho - I’ve heard the heatgun trick before, but also one i’m trying to remember and maybe you can clarify? When doing those final gel coats to get a clear bubble free finish over your CF.

Have you tried denatured alcohol in a sprayer to break some of the surface tension and help smooth the epoxy? Maybe it was something besides DA?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Wow @MasterCho . Thanks for the amazing in depth guide. I actually just ordered bamboo wood vertical grain from China for a few members of the Melbourne esk8 group. We were thinking fibreglass for flex but would carbon be better do you think?

Hello I see you have some experience in carbon fiber industry :wink: I am wondering if it is possible to make a strong hollow longboard out of carbon fiber? The longboard will have a frame in it so it will be a bit stronger. Yes I am going to use vacuum bags with resin infusion.

Thanks!

The second coat of resin has been applied. Now it should have enough thickness to work on.

Let it completely cured for 24 hours.

Next step will be. Part 4 - Sanding and Polishing.

4 Likes

No, I haven’t tried denatured alcohol yet. If you use Bar Top Epoxy, it should be bubble free. The imperfection you see when the first layer applied is some dirt from the fabric.

1 Like

Yes, of course, it’s possible. My next project will be using two molds together to create a deck with intergraded enclosure.

Stay tuned.:relaxed:

2 Likes

I would use Fiberglass, bamboo veneers, and Carbon for the top and bottom.

Something like;

CarbonFiber FiberGlass Bamboo veneer FiberGlass Bamboo veneer FiberGlass CarbonFiber

3 Likes

Awesome! :smiley:

This is how I want it to be, hollow inside :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This is awesome and looks totally do-able for noobs like myself :slight_smile:

side note - where did you get the blank deck?

It is a wooden deck where the black epoxy is applied as a base coat.

That’s beautiful, I think you don’t need the support in the middle, the CF will be strong enough without it.

1 Like

Thanks!

About that, its for the cover over so it will not bend, squize the battaries. But I think it will be fine without having nothing in the middle, and more place to battery.But its just for saftey etc :wink:

Any specific places to get good CF from?

They also make a skinning kit for just this process

1 Like

@MasterCho Wont that make it very stiff? I am aiming to get this like the vanguard.

I sanded one mm off the surface before applying one layer of cf (200g). The carbon fiber gives 0.2mm thickness plus resin thickness. Epoxy resin is pretty flexible, so I think the stiffness/weight is very minimal.

This deck has semi-flex(not bamboo) Once it’s fully cured, I’ll find out the difference.

How do you lay the CF on the bottom of the deck?