German Esk8 Laws

You can just hope that it does not go the the district attorney or otherwise it will be much more than that. Did you read that forum entry I posted above to the German forum? It says they got a 1500€ fine.

I know. With my bad luck i had luck :smiley:

Go ask whitepony over on endless-sphere… He lives in Germany and is an avid esk8 builder. He could certainly tell you the law and what to expect… Come to think of it, just go over there and check out his builds! Top, top notch builds…

or ask whitepony here?

He is registered on this forum too. If he wants to tell his opinion, thoughts he can write it down :wink: Everybody would be glad to get more information but i do not really need more information.

E-SK8 in germany is bullshit. It is not allowed… and if the cops have a bad day they will do something. Otherwise you are lucky and can just ride…

It is illegal because you drive more than 6 km/h, no insurance and the board is mostly not street admissible (2 separate brakes, reflectors, horn). When you will fix these points and go to the TÜV they may give you a certificate that you can ride it on the street. But this will be expensive!

Reading a this is just frustrating…

I’m mean I get public safety but to make it impossible or make you a type of criminal because you ride? I would hate to ride and have to always look over my shoulder…

Indeed… but i have no other option. The next point is the definition of “street” in germany. The street is every public road, EVERY. Even if we drive on some bicycle ways we drive illegaly…

right now, if the police catches you in germany, you could potentially be royally fucked! its why I sold my evolve and started building boards that barely give away that they are eboards. the few times police drove past me, I immediately started coasting and pretended to push. its the main reason why my single motor sits on the right side of the board and my batteries are slightly inserted into the board to make the profile as slim as possible! its also the reason why I sanded off the carbon on the board sides so it looks like natural wood longboard. :slight_smile:

think if they caught me, Id just be nice, act a little stupid and present them proudly the features like an enthusiastic supernerd inventor who never even thought about that this could actually be illegal. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

13 Likes

I had to do this two times now, got away with no problems. Two of them said they just stopped me because they wanted to know how i can get up that hill so easily… Most police officers in germany (except some of the Berlin ones who even hate normal longboarders) are relaxed and have better things to do than fucking esk8ters. Just be nice to them.

1 Like

I was nice but i still got ripped by on officer… You can be as polite as hell if the officer has a bad day it is your problem…

1 Like

That is the meaning of the word most. Yes, it can happen, i just wanted to say not every police officer is an asshole.

Didn’t know he was here… He is quite active there, never saw him here…

That’s the same thing as I do when I see the police, but if you are going 45 kp/h you don’t have a chance to push. Anyway I expect contact with the police in long terms and hope that they have a good day when they catch me. Seeing the police while riding makes me feel like a 13 year old who nearly gets caught smoking behind the school :slight_smile: More adrenaline then bombing down hills to me…

5 Likes

Today I saw the first electric board live in Berlin. It was a boosted board :joy: Still awesome. Looking even more forward to the raptor. 07.07. Funny thing is: I was giving him thumbs up while driving next to him in my car and he grinned back. At the next crossroad we came to a stop and the bycicledrivers asked him with much interested how he does it lol Must be a good feeling being the only one around on one, until the cops stop you :smile:

2 Likes

I’m thinking about making an ultra-portable penny e-skate and bringing it to Germany when I go next summer. Got a ticket last summer for going 5 km/hr over the speed limit. Why are they so strict with car laws? They told me that in order to pay it, I would have to set up a bank account in Germany. I didn’t do it, because that was rediculous. I love the country… But seriously? I don’t think I’ll get fined for riding an e-board. Even if I do, not too worried. I’ve been there once since the ticket, they seem to have dropped it :joy:

1 Like

My love to eSkates got turned down a bit by the cops last week. I got busted going uphill with 25 kph and no possibility to escape or hide. Shit really hit the fan and these “special” cops have been real assholes in my case. In the beginning I tried to play it down, but no success at all. I got three different complaints and now the case is at my lawyer. Since then I haven’t used my eskate, because I didn’t want to make things worse. To be honest I don’t think the eskate future in Germany is the brightest… The Segway people invested a shitload of money to get there vehicle street legal here. They had to limit it to 25 kph and every Segway needs a license plate. That is ridiculous! It’s on the big players like Evolve to make it legal over here.

2 Likes

I doubt Evolve can do that much. Only hope is a new EU-Law the germans have to accept. German laws won’t change in next 10 years.

1 Like

Damn… I hope things will not be too harsh… Which area are you from and has it been in a city?

Men that sounds awful. Please keep us up2date. Hoping for my raptor to be shipped this week and ill share my experiences here in Berlin with you.

awh, fuck :confused: