FOCBOX Unity Dual Motor!

They can say anything they want. The law is still the law.

Snake oil salesmen say snake oil is good.

Y’all are kind foolish in a way because the laws are to protect consumers, and yet some of you like @myreala try to act like they aren’t needed. That can only mean that A) you have an incomplete understanding of the big picture or B) you’re not a consumer, but instead an enertion employee.

1 Like

Here you go… there is the link

How obvious and unhelpful. Unless you’re an enertion employee, that is not satisfactory and maybe not even the same software.

They can either follow the license or not use the software. IT’S SO FREAKING EASY!

They could just like, you know, make their own. Genius LoLzz

1 Like

Let me stop you right here little conspiracy boy… I’m not employed by Enertion

I have done some work for them but I’m not on there payroll …

Then it’s not your job to hand out their source code, little conspiracy boy.

1 Like

Are you a Lawyer ??? Because if you are not and you only read a website, you should alway worry about the fine print…

1 Like

OK can everyone calm the f down pls? Enertion releasing their version of the firmware doesn’t help because you should always flash the newest version anyway.

What they should definitely do is to stop being *******s and link to vedders repo and send their customers a copy of the GPL on general principle. @b264 is right. Laws are laws and just because they think nobody is going to make the effort to sue them, what they are doing is a long way from cool.

Edit: OK just saw they have a lame link to vedder.se on their focbox page but that doesn’t help anyone tbh. Also r2 also runs on the soft and hardware

7 Likes

I run a software company and it’s my job to know software licenses. I’m not a lawyer and I didn’t link that site, but I do agree with it.

I am software engineer working on open source projects and I know the licensing. Guess why Apple and other big players has references to source codes and etc in they products?

If you want more Binding way here you go:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

@myreala I have seen multiple companies sued because of simple JS library sold in their product and losing millions of dollars, the court didn’t even cared about company input as the library had hardcoded GPLv3 license in they project.

2 Likes

To answer your earlier question before all this chaos which could probably find a better home in a different thread, in regards to open sourcing hardware designs, we want to find a balance between providing a useful reference for software developers to make accessing the hardware as straightforward as possible an allow basic repairs/modifications to be performed. Anyone with a bit of expertise in circuit design could probably figure out from this and the code base how to develop a similar dual motor driver. And if they put in that kind of work they will probably be making something new and interesting for the community to use.

As you’ve seen with many other VESC-like designs providing the actual hardware design files tends to encourage ripoffs that undermine the perceived integrity of the platform (see: poorly designed vesc 4.12 ripoffs) . I think that’s why we have seen that even Vedder with vesc 6 didn’t provide the actual source files for the hardware, just one schematic somewhere off in a forum. This is the trade-off we are grappling and are still deciding on the best path forward.

Disclaimer: I’m just a person collaborating with Enertion to offer a cool new product. I want to see lots of people use it and develop on it further but I can’t speak for them completely. I can guarantee the firmware will be shared in an open source repository.

2 Likes

Also another question if FocBox uses unmodified version of vedder firmware why its frozen to 2.18 version? Why don’t they ship it with the latest one available? 2.18 was released in 2016 then it wouldn’t need to provide BLDC tool and etc :wink:

Also regarding unmodified firmware after work I will dump firmware from one of unmodified focboxes and disassembly it to compare with 2.18 version if I find single function not matching then it means the code was forked :slight_smile: Which according GPLv3 is binding legally :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Even if they didn’t change it, they still must legally distribute the source code.

4 Likes

The FOCBOXes in Raptor 2 have a firmware that replies 2.80 to the GET_VERSION command. This is modified firmware. Original firmware had version 2.18. Even if they didn’t change anything else apart from the version number, this still requires to publish a complete source code of the firmware and BLDC Tool, because that one is obviously modified too in order to accept unrecognized 2.80 version.

10 Likes

Heh, well there you go. tsk, tsk, Enertion. Part of me wonders if they even have a copy of that source code or if they’ve just been uploading the same binary for the last 2 years.

It’d be cool if Vedder included some sort of smoking gun / easter egg buried deep inside the code that played “old McDonald had a farm” during motor detection with a special set of config params. Just in case someone decided to build a VESC and not actually tell anyone it was a VESC.

3 Likes

as @rpasichnyk said, they are using a modified Version -> simply hit the Read default config button in the BLDC tool. You dont get the standart values that Benjamin has used.

1 Like

My understanding was a spin-oof of ackmaniac’s f/w was used by enertion. Enertion sure as shit won’t realease gerbers, that would kill their sales overnight

Law is expensive in this type of situation in any country, there’s no point Vedder suing small companies in another continent, frankly very, very unlikely to happenin reality. At least Enertion tries to reach out and pay a dividend to Vedder, but Iguess he is too enigmatic to care…who knows.

Is Ben Vedder Satoshi Nakamoto, I guess we’ll never know

China does not recognise IP in Roman derived language,or on Tuesdays,so it matters little

1 Like

Thanks man, thats how I like it! In my mind that means, that the Git is online when the Unity is on sale?

1 Like