Fliess 3 - "Einmal DirectDrive - Immer DirectDrive!"

Yeah I agree when it comes to motors: heavy is good

10 Likes

Can confirm, these look beautiful! Would love to try and get a group buy going or something eventually if enough people show interest!

4 Likes

what king of bolt do you use ? is it a shoulder screw ? 8mm OD ?

Very nice work !!!

Is the stator simply slid onto the hardened axle ? does it need insulation ?

Peace

1 Like

From his previous work fliess has also done full potting of his motors and more insulation canā€™t harm !

Hey @Vanarian, itā€™s better to see it once. Is there any thread where you post your experiments in photos?

@nikoumouk, thanks! What I did is just cloning the moving part of Atlas truck, so that I can use my 12mm axle. I didnā€™t touch the rest of the truck with kingpin. What kind of insulation do you mean? There is an aluminium inner part of a stator, which perfectly fits to the axle. Donā€™t make things more difficult, than they actually are :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a yes and no! I regularly take pictures of it but didnā€™t open my own threads on this forum yet.

Got to present the cooling and solderless as well as my own builds! Gonna open a ā€œlab threadā€ for the first two, Iā€™ll keep you updated.

3 Likes

This is so awesome!!! I really want to try this however I have a few questions.

1. How is the 12mm axle attached to the aluminum hanger? Magic glue and large set screw?
  2. Does the stator of the 63mm sk3 motor just slip onto the 12mm hanger? What would be a good glue to use?
  3. What kind/grade of aluminum are you using?

If you could help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks you!

@jrpwit, thanks man! Why wouldnā€™t I help, this forum is for help, or? :relaxed:

1. just a keyway
  2. just a keyway
  3. AlCuMgPb

No glue. That would be the worst I could do. Okay, maybe after 10tkm of testing you can just use a glue :wink:

2 Likes

Really no glue? I though lots of motors use glue to secure the stator. Where did you drill/cut the keyways?

Would I just slide this portion of the motor onto the 12mm axel and then somehow secure it with a keyways?

Also could you explain how you made the keyway on the axel securing it to the hanger?

Sorry for all the questions and hope Iā€™m not being confusing. Thank you!

3 Likes

This is the thread I am thinking of when I am referring to gluing the stator

Last question I promisešŸ˜‚ When you got the motors what wiring configuration were they in wye or delta?

1 Like

Whats your outer diameter of your hub connectors? I am building something similar so I wonder what is the outer diameter which fits in to the hub of the wheel core.

2 Likes

@jrpwit, hey. Sorry for the late reply, but weekend was over and had to go and work to earn some money for Fliess4 :smile: Really any drop of glue. I cut the keyway on axle with https://www.google.de/search?q=chop+saw. Once you get a keyway on axle, you can insert an axle inside a stator and drill the opposite side of a keyway. Initially I wanted to avoid such a construction, because I was afraid to weaken an axle by any cuts, but this is not a cross cut to be worried. Exactly the same you can do to secure an axle to the hanger. No magic, everything is simple. The more simple, the more reliable :slight_smile: Initially I tried to find some photos for you, because 1 photo is better than many words, but unfortunately I didnā€™t find any. Good luck with your hubs :wink:

1 Like

@pat.speed, usually itā€™s delta. And usually you can just switch to star without rewinding.

1 Like

@Trans-amers, ah you donā€™t have wheels yet, mate :slight_smile: 40mm

2 Likes

Does it includes the tolerance ? Is it a tight fit?

@Trans-amers, hey. I wouldnā€™t talk that much about tolerances when you have to deal with piece of not always perfectly balanced plastic. I started from 40mm and then decreased to ~39,5mm to make it not that tight.

By that do you mean you end up milling into 39.5mm before putting it into the CNC machine?

Very nice build. I am always happy to see your builds and your progress you made from Fliess 1 to Fliess 3. Your builds truly deserve the ā€œtitleā€ DIY. :+1: So much detail everywhere. Hopefully someday I am near Frankfurt and can gaze that beauty in real life.

1 Like