Fliess 3 - "Einmal DirectDrive - Immer DirectDrive!"

@Trans-amers, hey. I wouldn’t talk that much about tolerances when you have to deal with piece of not always perfectly balanced plastic. I started from 40mm and then decreased to ~39,5mm to make it not that tight.

By that do you mean you end up milling into 39.5mm before putting it into the CNC machine?

Very nice build. I am always happy to see your builds and your progress you made from Fliess 1 to Fliess 3. Your builds truly deserve the “title” DIY. :+1: So much detail everywhere. Hopefully someday I am near Frankfurt and can gaze that beauty in real life.

1 Like

You’re a GOD.

@Trans-amers, if I had CNC, then my life would be totally different man :smile: Don’t know better or worse but different. I meant that initially I made it 40mm and it was fitting but very tight, so I decreased a bit.

@hexakopter, thanks dude! There is by the way even further progress than just Fliess3. It’s Fliess3FL :relieved: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/fliess-3-facelift/33271 Drop me a message when you are in Frankfurt :slight_smile:

Haha, thanks @olgamedt. When you spend all weekends in your cave just to finish what was planned, then you don’t feel like a god at all, believe me :smile: But then, when you ride your beast, and you realize that it is exactly what you wanted, you’re the god! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just stumbled onto this build. Sucked in instantly! Then took the time to check your other builds start to finish. Your work and dedication is incredible! Love how you’ve innovated. Thank you for taking the time to document your builds in such fine detail. Endlessly entertaining. Cheers!!!

1 Like

So how did you made it? CNC is the only way I thought of?

@Multiple_Scoregasm, thank you mate for the nice words and the time you spent checking my builds :grinning: There is no innovation though, I just copied some good ideas.

@Trans-amers, hand made man. It has much more value than machined soulless piece of metal :smiley:

Wait wait wait, you mean you did that ALL with a hacksaw and company? THATS INSANE

@GrecoMan, Not that bad dude :smile: I have lathe.

3 Likes

I tip my hat to you sir, that is an incredible piece of engineering

1 Like

I suspect you used a lathe for the end parts of the motor right? Then just cut, filled, and drilled the parts by hand for screw holes and to fit into the wheels.

I think I will use the screw method you used in the beginning to attach the motor to the wheels for my first drive. Hope I can do the end parts like you did later on.

Still working on my trucks at the moment cutting and filing away! Lol knew you had a lathe :slight_smile:

@jrpwit, screw method I used in the beginning is quite reliable if you wanna use Kegels, because the holes’ pattern matches very nice with sk3 motors both 50 and 60mm. With Flywheels it’s more difficult, but also doable, especially for the first experimental direct drive build.

1 Like

Yeah everything is going quite better than I thought it would. We don’t need no heartless CNCed metal! :grinning:

@fliess How did you make the axle? Press fit axel or made on a lathe?

Still lots of work to be done but will be using a keyway just like fliess. I plan to use an axle with keyway as a guide to drill another keyward into the hanger for the trucks and then the aluminum core of the motor.

1 Like

@chuttney1, not sure I got your question man. I just used a hardened rod through the milled hanger.