First Build | Loaded Vanguard Deck | 1 Turnigy SK3 6374 192kv | 12S3P Samsung 25r | Vesc-X

That looks good. Just beware of the 50W charging limit. If you buy 4, you are looking at charging roughly in an hour and a half

Sounds good! I’ll order tonight.

Maybe a stupid question, but is it required to use a power supply to run the charger? Why not plug like landline phone power cord to it?

Depending on the charger, you need between 12v-24v dc. If you plug it straight to the wall (110v ac) you will see the magic smoke that makes electric things work leak.

1 Like

So basically any box that can downstep 110-120V to the input Voltage of the charger.

that plus convert ac to dc, and have enough wattage for the charger

1 Like

Before buying, I stopped and read through this thread quickly, and realized that in thinking of buying four chargers, I forgot my main goal, to make this airplane/travel possible, and searched some more and found this, which I’m pretty sure I will get as it isn’t too big, and is a dual charger. http://m.rcmoment.com/battery-charger-accessories-2128/p-rm2995uk.html?currency=USD&lang=en&aid=rmsmplaus1&gclid=CMDsz4zTndECFUlNfgod62EBuA

That only gives you 100W total charging power. Not enough in my opinion. This one?

Just wanna clarify, if I have 4 3s packs (making it 12s) connected in series with serial connectors.

Can I have 2 3s packs connected in series and charge as 6s on a 6s charger. Or, 4 3s packs connected in series and charge as 12s on a 12s charger.

So it’ll be like 2 charger, each charging 2 3s packs and connect them back together to the ESC when I wanna use them. I guess I would get off cheaper with 2 6s charger maybe?

You can do 2 6s chargers. Or one of the ones from above that can charge several 6s/3s packs at once

Any updates?

Nearly done, I will update photos and videos later today. Only problem is I don’t know what best settings to use. I’m probably 110lbs and want the tips speed to be 25mph.

Forgot to take them, but I will upload later today.

I don’t know if you’ve seen this, but it might an easier idea for your Vanguard build.

Xt60 loop keys came out great, covered them with sugru. That stuff is amazing. After a long time I got the 10AWG wire into the xt60 for the battery connection. The kydex came out great. I have a lot more, will upload tomorrow.

1 Like

that is very poor soldering on the XT60 connector. The solder looks like to be only applied on the surface - it needs to go all the way through the exposed wire in order to make a good connection. Your joint will fail eventually or/and have high losses (=heat). I recommend redoing that.

that’s how it should look (from @whitepony’s spud build):

Edit: the red wire actually appears to be broken

1 Like

Which has red wire?

Ugly soldering man…pretty dangerous. The red lead you have in those pictures- Not broken just ugly connection. You need to heat the wires up so you solder “flows” into the strands. Also as they are now be careful because if those pieces of soldered red and black wires touch you will short your circuit. These connections move and friction esspecially on sharp crappy joints, like those in your photos, wear thru

First solder one and shrink tube it then solder second one and put shrink tube.

You probably need more powerful solder iron to make solder flow properly.

I am not so sure - isn’t this looking like the wood is shining through?

1 Like