First Build | Dual Motor | 10s4p | Largish rider | Need some help for confirming parts

Depending on budget, you could get away with dual 6355 motors. I’ve carried 300+ pounds on my dual 6355 uphill lol. But if you’re buying larger trucks and everything, you may as well the dual 6372/6374 for $50 more. Be aware though, the hobby king sk3 6372/6374 motors are slightly longer than other motors, so they may not fit on your trucks depending on which mount you use. I believe they do not fit with the TorqueBoards/DIYElectric mounts, but it looks like from the picture that he posted, they do indeed fit on @marcmt88’s mounts.

As others have said, get focboxes or ollin vescs if you have the money, and get 30Q cells. The main reason behind this besides those components being higher quality is, in order to use all the power that dual motors can provide, you need an ESC and battery that can deliver the necessary power.

2 Likes

Thanks,

For the power, will 10s4p be suitable or will I have to be maybe upgrade to 12s4p. Im familiar with riding, so that’s why I was originally going with 10s.

10s should be fine. Going 12s over 10s will mainly only increase your speed and you’ll get a slight range increase of maybe 15%. The main thing when running big dual motors is to have lots of cells in parallel so that the battery is able to deliver enough amps to the motors. For example each cell outputs 20a continuous so 4p will allow you to get 80a continuous from your battery while 3p would only allow you 60a continuous from your battery.

1 Like

Ohhh ok. That’s clears it up. I’ll see if I can get 30Q from NKON to Canada for a reasonable price. If not I’ll go for the HG2

Thanks

1 Like

12s will give you a speed bump over 10s. If you’re wanting to increase cell count and don’t care for increasing speed, go with a 10s5p setup.

Lets assume 3000mah 20A cells:

10s4p: 432wh @ 80A 12s4p: 518wh @ 80A 10s5p: 540wh @ 100A

12s4p will have a 17% capacity boost over a 10s4p. A 12s4p will also have a 17% speed boost over a 10s4p.

Side note- running 10s voltage is a bit safer than running 12s voltage. 10s is perfect for 190kv (many options). 12s is over 60kerpm for 190kv when fully charged to 50.4 and thus safer to run less than 190kv (lesser options)

2 Likes

Thank you for this helpful post. Yeah I think I may go for the safe route and do 10s4p or 10s5p. Will going for 5p cause wear on my motor and VESC?

Nope 4p and 5p have same amount of power so wouldn’t be any different, you would only have more capacity so longer distance but same motor power and top speed

1 Like

A 5p setup with 30q cells @ 15A would be capable of 75A continuous output. Each of the 4.x VESCs are rated to 50A, and FOCBOXes are rated to 60A. In a dual setup, you would split the max and min on the battery between the two speed controllers.

That would mean that if you wanted to use the maximum capability of your battery, you’d set each controller to +37.5A and -10A, which are well within the limitations of each speed controllers.

On the other hand, a 4p setup would only be capable of pushing 60A continuous. Either way, its split between 2 speed controllers. Now if you wanted to push 75A through a SINGLE controller, you’re going to have problems.

1 Like

Really? I run 60motor amps each motor with my dual focbox and 10s3p its been fine and my motors don’t even get too hot, maybe you meant battery Max?

1 Like

most 63mm motors are rated to 80A.

Your 3p pack will never deliver too much power to your motors.

We’re talking about batteries here… batteries push power, speed controllers regulate power, and motors use power.

If you set your motor max high, but your battery can never deliver up to that power, then you’ll never have an issue. The bottle neck is always at the lowest denominator, or weakest part.

2 Likes

Will 12mm Belt work? and I am also planning to use Orangtang wheels and will 36t/16t system do fine? These one in specific

1. I would advise against using kegels and instead use abec. Abec cores allow for much more versatility down the line when/if you want to upgrade.

2. If you’re going to buy the motor mounts posted above from marcmt, you may as well purchase a 15mm kit from @johnny_261 as he is in canada and his stuff is real good. Plus 15mm belts give you better power delivery/braking, especially if you’re a bigger dude.

1 Like

Thanks so much, your really helping me out. I think I have this all figured out now

1 Like

Alright I think I got most of my part list done

Here is a Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10hAr9cgF58HYhtOrsZjSw8vRuWFuQmZ4Wk5LUTvhreo/edit?usp=sharing

6374s are not going to be faster than a 6355, but they will have more torque and the acceleration will be faster, hill climbing will feel like an even road

1 Like

Looks good. Interesting choice on the 35e. Same price as 30q, but more capacity while less discharge…

yeah I was going for 6355 originally(might still go for it) but for $50 more, I can get the 6374. I am also looking into the weight differences

Yeah 30Q are out of stock and the 30E seem like a better value. I’ve seen other builds using them aswell

1 Like

1 pound per motor between 6355 and 6374.

So did you bought from nkon?? Was the shipping long to canada?