Falling off stone jam

As a young chap many many years ago like 30 years or so, when I had my skate bord many many time I would fall off as the wheels would come to a skidding stop as they find every stone, I think now looking back the deck was around 3ft long with hard wheels, I’m wondering if things have changed with these longer decks softer wheels electric decks, or am I just trying to convince myself before my 1st build lol, what says you on this Thanks Rich

Bigger wheels roll over stuff much better

with 90mm or 97mm and a heavier board will roll over a lot of stuff without blinking.

Uhh. You should learn to be comfortable on a normal skateboard before you ride an electric one.

I ride a little 28in cruiser with 55mm wheels to work everyday on NYC streets. I’m 37 but I’ve been skating since is was 6 and I’ve learned to be light on my feet when i see cracks and rocks.

Big wheels help but also softer wheels make a huge difference. Softer wheels are easier to go over cracks and rocks and give you a general smoother ride. You can tell how soft a wheel is by it durometer number i.e. my wheels are 78a rating. (the lower the softer) Harder wheels tend to stall more when they hit a rock.

Speed also helps! If you ride really slow it’s more likely you will stall on a rock.

In the end it’s still skateboarding and wiping out can still be an issue but you can avoid most of it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8zbXfIiVwg

1 Like

I can ride over a lot with these monsters! Look they even say unstoppable so you know they are good…

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread. I used to ride a regular board many many miles every day around sf, and I had a few good slams my first year in sf. Been 4 years since, and never fallen off again like I did my first year. You just have to learn to be light and always ready/expecting a rock or crack. On the carvons with 90 mm abec wheels, I’ve hit some pretty big rocks at high speeds with no issues.

Eboaring is different than regular boarding … The mass of the board, along with the our weight, speed and size of the wheels just allow us to blast through stuff… Faster u go the less likely you are to SYF …

The one item that will likey just SYF is a garden hose…don’t do it lol

I like my boards pretty long - that seems to make a difference in how it rolls over stuff. I’ve hit a lot of rocks and never had a problem but one thing that brought the board to an unexpected dead stop was a pine-cone.

beware the pine-cone.

Also as mentioned above, be prepared to shift your weight to the back of the board quickly if you see something coming up you might hang up on. Then once the front wheels are over it shift weight forward to pop the back wheels up and you should be ok. It’s not a hard trick to learn.

bigger is definitely better. I love 97’s for rolling over everything in my path. A softer duro wheel also helps with less vibration and just more comfortable for longer. Harder wheels do have less rolling resistance, so would roll longer per push… but i have a motor to push, so i usually get the softest duro i can find.

One of the bigger differences i’ve noted on the 83mm flywheel clones - harder than the legit flywheels. No biggie for the cost savings, but a bit more vibration and feel the rough bumps more.

And part of skateboarding is the occasional wipeout. Going to happen. Wear some gear and learn how to fall correctly.

I’m a horrible person, but the video above made me laugh. Sucky to not only crash but spill the coffee. I usually pick myself up, laugh, and continue riding.

@Michaelinvegas - garden hose - HA! also watch out for those little “counter” tubes they use for measuring traffic/use! A couple months back i was goofing off and thought i’d go over one - it looked small! But i was creeping along, on my smaller 76mm wheels (marbel), didn’t try to life the front wheels (back would’ve stopped anyway)… had a nice slow speed tumble. Just goofing off and didn’t even really try to get my feet moving - could’ve totally run off the board. D’oh! Seattle loves those things - i kinda want to try again going faster w/ some 97mm wheels…

Only thing that may save you on a garden hose, counter tubes or really big crack is to hit it at an angle and hope it rolls over it…

I’ve escaped a few times…but tough when the stuff comes up unexpected

1 Like

Just lift the front wheels (why kick tail is imperative to me) then when the front is over immediately lift your wight(not your foot) off the back and you can get over anything that is around an 1" or so. Learned this from years of riding a street deck with tiny hard wheels, where the tiniest thing could SYF.

The 76mm 75a ABEC’s I’m riding on my esk8 feel huge and like I’m riding on air, I’m loving it!

2 Likes

@Tricky I ride 127mm pneumatic wheels and I’ve never fallen because I hit a rock, a pinecone, sticks or cracks. Bigger wheels definitely roll better over everything!

3 Likes

Or a kick tail …

2 Likes

I think rocks will be less of an issue than you expect…but as mentioned previously, you will probably fall at some point. I’m forty and recently took a couple pretty hard falls. It definitely sucks more when you’re older. Wearing a helmet is obvious, but my recent falls have taught me the importance of hand protection as well.

2 Likes

Lol I’m thinking monster truck wheels, with full body protection kit, :joy::joy::joy:jokes But yes I see what you all are saying, I defo have a safty hat and gloves for the unforseen fall, with big ish soft skate wheels,

I think pneumatic is going to have be build 3 (I’m still finishing 1) :smile:

1 Like

@bender I love thane, but once I tried pneumatics I found that I vastly prefer them for use in my area (where the roads are bad and covered in debris). I don’t have to worry about most cracks.

@Adam0311 I added elbow and knee pad protection after seeing some of the injuries that folks here have had. I like my knees functioning just as they are!

1 Like

how did you make the pulley for the mbs wheels?

I’m pretty sure these are the pulleys you may be looking for?