Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

This is not for PWM. The Speed control works for FOC and BLDC mode.

oh - I always thought the entire page is only used in BLDC mode. Guess that applies only to the first groupbox then - Sorry…

New Android App Update I changed the request frequency a bit so that the values are more close to the actual situation. The app is now like 0.2 seconds delayed to what happens in reality. You can hardly even tell that there is a delay now.

As always google needs half a day for to publish the new Version in the Play store. If you can’t wait you can find the apk file in my Dropbox link in the first post of this thread.

2 Likes

Everytime I install the apk or get an update in the play store the version number is 1.0 It is really hard to keep track of the new versions. Would you mind setting the numbers correctly? Will test it today again…

I want to use the no acceleration mode the same way as you. So that it is maybe half legal in Germany. I tried the mode, but I have too much motor stuttering. I have a dual vesc setup. I just changed the ppm setting to PID no acceleration and kept all the others values the same. Is there anything else I have to change?

Please post a Screenshot of the Motor Advanced Tab. And you have to test it while you are riding on it. Because on the bench it is hard spin both wheels at the same time with a decent speed for the cruise control. And when you are very slow on the bench it feels like stutter.

You should disable braking for cruise control.And then try on the street and not on the bench.

1 Like

I have solved my issue with nunchuck cruise control changing KP and KI “Speed control” parameters. I have used the default firmware 2.18 settings.

KP:0.00010 instead of 0.00400 and KI:0.01500 instead of 0.00400

@Ackmaniac

Does your firmware needs to be uploaded when switching from FOC to BLDC in order to avoid blowing the DRV chip?

You should reboot the VESC after switching from one to the other. Flashing the firmware again doesn’t make any sense to me. But when you do the motor detection you should disable the remote application first. Then do the motor detection. And then enable the remote application again. I think that a lot of errors in Foc resulted from that mistake. Because if you don’t disable it, then the remote signal would interfere the motor detection.

2 Likes

What do you mean by disabling the remote application?

You can configure the motor and the remote. And the remote setup is called application in the bldc-tool. For example in the ppm setup set the ppm control mode to disabled, write the configuration and then do the motor detection. Afterwards enable it again.

Since newest update, can’t get App to connect to BT. Shows module on the “scanning” page, but wont fully connect after pressing correct one.

Anyone else?

Just switch off the board, wait a couple of seconds and switch it back on. And also kill the app in the background and restart it. Sometimes the modules have a problem. If this doesn’t help then let me know and I will revert the latest changes that make the communication a bit faster.

I just had a ride, it works for me.

Some inputs to improve the app : For each build, could you create variables memorized for odometer and average energy consumption (Ah/km or Wh/km for comparision with any build) ?

I didn’t try the bars feature because I’m not confident to hold my phone while riding :smile:

@SageTx I made a little change to the app which hopefully fixes your connection problems. If you see the the text disconnect at the top right on the screen after you selected the Bluetooth module then it should be fine. If you see “connect” text then please click on it so that it tries to reconnect. Please let me know after the update of it works now.

@Pimousse You can also record a video of the app while you are riding. This way you can analyse it later. And you don’t have to hold it in your hand. Even if you don’t record your ride the realtime data in the video is still helpful. Otherwise you can also have a look at the graphs. They are always recorded even without the video. Just go to the file explorer inside the app (click the galarie icon) and select the last CSV file to see the last recorded data. I also could add the feature to save and summarize the average values of each ride but it would be necessary to connect to the Bluetooth module via app after each ride to save the data. Sadly the Bluetooth modules have no memory on their own. I had it once with a ESP8266 and WIFI which could sava data on their own but the cheap HM-10 can’t store any data. But i think about a nice solution.

As always google needs half a day for to publish the new Version in the Play store. If you can’t wait you can find the apk file in my Dropbox link in the first post of this thread.

I appreciate the v1.1 identification :wink: Play store has already let me download the new version.

I think it’s mostly for the odometer that connecting to the board each time is required. For average comsuption I was mainly thinking to “average the average”. So if you forget/don’t want to connect the app, you just loose an average in your calculation but it doesn’t really matter, right ?

I often think about adding the arduino nano I planned to use at the beginning (before discoring the power of bluetooth and app) as a gateway between HM10 and VESC to perform some other feature (memorize variables, LCD, leds and lights managament…). Is it something you already worked on ?

HM10 Module Watt Controll Firmware 2.52 PPM + Uart 9600 Baudrate

HM10 to VESC RX to TX TX to RX VCC to 5V GND to GND

The chip is blinking but the app wont find it… Does anybody have an idea what i could have done wrong?