Evolve Skateboards - New Board - GT Carbon!

What’s the law there? I think the law is probably more limiting than riders or cops realize. Some ambitious cop is going to figure it out and get me. And get the new evolve riders.

It’s pretty obvious when ur drafting cars

I’d switch to the sidewalk when I see them and take a back alley with my AT wheels :sunglasses:

LOL I would hope no cop is so deprived of work that he has to “get you”. Pretty sure he won’t get a promotion for ruining your harmless fun on a skateboard.

Sometimes they’re looking for something to do. I had a cop tell me electric boards aren’t allowed on the street. He’s wrong of course but if he had known the law and was up on his lipos and series know-how he could’ve gotten me. I’m trusting none of the cops know. But the new evolve board claims a higher speed and more power. It’s written and if any cops knew the law…

If the cops have enough time in their day to want to go through all that just to keep you off a skateboard I think there are bigger issues… Either way just stay in the lower modes and don’t draw attention to yourself

I think it’s just common sense what will keep us out of most trouble…

I think in other threads we mentioned things abt riding etiquette…and that’s so important.

1 Like

The law is the law though and it seems the gt is illegal in Cali. All the diy boards are too but they aren’t advertising it. Maybe evolve should be only selling where they’re legal. I don’t really care it doesn’t bother me of course. People could ride them on their driveway legally but otherwise it’s setting people up…hopefully for nothing

Ya but esk8 is getting more mainstream and now there are kids riding it everywhere not giving any f**k to the law. Which really grinds my gear. That’s just giving the fuzz more reason to ban it completely. They’re already banning it on the West side highway bike route in NYC. I use to ride there all summer last year, some of the best ride of my ride was from that route.

I’m telling you man, anytime something becomes popular, there’ll be a few people who fuk it up for the rest of us. I’m getting worried that they’ll just pass a law banning it here soon. Then again, this is NY, we’re usually the last state to pass any law.

Idk man, its up to you. If I was in Cali like @Michaelinvegas said I’d just use common sense and ride responsibly especially when near law enforcement. Maybe if you’re really afraid of getting fined then just transfer onto a sidewalk and walk into a coffee shop or just start kick pushing. I’ve never had a problem with law enforcement and I’ve passed plenty in multiple areas in different cities. Just wear safety gear, stay in the right most of the lane and I don’t think they really give two shits, if they do, just get a dual+ as it is the only board left in the market that adheres to those silly rules.

1 Like

Yeah Casey actually got stopped the other day (shown in his vlog today) and was about to get fined for $500, he will likely be the downfall for eboarding in your entire city. Combine his reckless riding with the fact he wears no safety gear and you have this big litter of new riders who copy him and will likely get themselves killed / ruin it for everyone.

I can blame the hipsters crashing into pedestrians lol

Technically, if your read the California e-board law that was passed recently, they define what is an electric skateboard near the beginning as…

“An “electrically motorized board” is any wheeled device that has a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding that is not greater than 60 inches deep and 18 inches wide, is designed to transport only one person, and has an electric propulsion system averaging less than 1,000 watts, the maximum speed of which, when powered solely by a propulsion system on a paved level surface, is no more than 20 miles per hour”

Basically, saying that if your board is capable of going more than 20 mph, it does not meet the definition of an “electric skateboard”, but rather the old definition of a “motorized skateboard” (you can read on in the law, but it says what doesn’t meet this definition is still a motorized skateboard), which this law also affirms is still illegal in California. So technically, the vast majority of e-boards, including practically every diy board, is not legal in California.

Now, It would be hard for a cop to prove your top speed, unless you buy a mass produced board which has their specs advertised online, like evolve.

I get the desire to ride, I get the inability to wait for the next and best, and my hats are off to evolve for finally stepping up to the plate and playing with the big boys. But I doubt their max range is even close to what they are saying. I think they are hyping it up, like every other e-board mass producer out there, to seem way better then it will be. I can go double that speed, with better range, for at least $500 less. Or match the torque with a higher top speed and better range for half the price.

Idk what you are looking for when buying (in my case, building) an e-board, but the 3 numbers that matter to me are torque, top speed, and range. It’s hard to compare torque without spending a bunch of money, top speed is usually pretty accurate, but range is like the mpg rating of a car. I could run a board that I wouldn’t trust to get me more than 5 miles on my normal route down hills, and get a range of 20 miles. The reality is, when you have 3 mile stretches of up hill, you aren’t going to get close to the advertised range rating. So I would like to see the power ratings (and capacity) of the battery, and the efficiency ratings of their electric system. Until I see that, I don’t trust the range they are advertising, and my belief that they are fudging the range numbers makes me distrust any other claims they make about it.

The range is doable - just take a look at metroboard with their 40mile battery. There are people that even got a little bit more than that.

And … I’m from NYC … What happened to the old saying, “Everything is legal … Just as long as you don’t get caught.” Lol…

But seriously…yep have to agree with @Mr_Mahal…it’s already started with the parks ban in NYC…riders in NY gotta keep a low profile in densely public areas…but they won’t …more and more will get caught riding dirty which really kills it for the ones that are responsible-ish. I get it’s a public safety thing in our most densely populated city…and you know how NYers are sometimes…the joggers or cyclists that think the path is theirs only …I’m sure they ka-bitched to thier city council member or boro president how they can’t enjoy the paths because all these crazy electric skateboarders are almost crashing or crashing into people and bikes…so on so forth …

What’s the solution? IMO … Keep a low profile…yeah … You’ll run into a police officer that’s got a hard on for people having fun, but those I think are few.

And that’s odd … No one mention metroboard …never tried it…have you

So technically, the vast majority of e-boards, including practically every diy board, is not legal in California.

Well then, doesn’t matter what board we’re on we’re all fucked :slight_smile:

Now, It would be hard for a cop to prove your top speed, unless you buy a mass produced board which has their specs advertised online, like evolve.

True, Boosted would be the most likely to be spotted and flag with their flamboyant orange wheels though. Couple that with the fact that I don’t think any cop is out there researching boards so he can hunt all the ones that go over the speed limit down. At least in Boosted’s case, you could theoretically change the entire deck/wheels and not have any type of branding or info. Can’t say the same for Evolve, but as long as Casey never gets one they won’t be popular enough for law enforcement to single it out. In my case, I’ve seen maybe one or two eboarders in my area. All of which are far less reckless than I am. So it wouldn’t be a problem for me.

I doubt their max range is even close to what they are saying. I think they are hyping it up, like every other e-board mass producer out there, to seem way better then it will be.

Generally speaking giving a solid number for range is pretty much by nature never going to be accurate because of the myriad of factors that go into determining range. Boosted claims 6 or 7 miles all the time but thats only in eco with no hills – which is useless or very boring for most. So I expect to get 20-25 which is still WAY better than 3 or 4…

I can go double that speed, with better range, for at least $500 less. Or match the torque with a higher top speed and better range for half the price.

Of course you can. You do realize they have to make a profit and provide a warranty right? There are limitless possibilities with DIY, but I prefer to stick to commercial boards since I don’t trust my ability to build something reliable on my first go. It’s easier to fix issues with the board as well because plenty of people have probably already had it before. Plus, having a warranty is nice. If I want more torque/speed I will use my Raptor – which if you can beat with your build I fear for your life and safety lol.

I don’t trust the range they are advertising, and my belief that they are fudging the range numbers makes me distrust any other claims they make about it.

I will do plenty of tests just for you buddy. We will get to the bottom of this fudgy range.

@mr_mahal @michaelinvegas the west side highway ban is actually a little bit more complicated than that. Electric skateboard on the street is already illegal but nypd has a loose policy regarding it, don’t cause trouble and they’ll leave you alone. It’s not the entire bike route of west side highway that ban it, it’s the battery city park section that’s the most enforced by parks police (in green uniforms). To understand why, you need to know that battery park city(bpc) is not a part of NYC. The property tax we paid living in bpc actually go straight back into battery park city funds rather than the NYC general funds. So the section of the lane along battery park city is jointly maintained AND enforced by bpc and NYC.

Last year, bpc was ok with riders of electric skateboard on that route because hover board was all the hype and it only goes 7(?)mph. But a few weeks ago, joggers and cyclists living in bpc decided to complain about electric skateboard being a danger to pedestrian because some fukng idiot decided to ride it on the designated pedestrian lane, which prompted bpc to crack down on electric skateboard. Which is bullshit because they’re giving a more stringent enforcement due to a few kids fuking up.

My feelings regarding Casey Neistat is mix. Love his vlogs but he’s a hypocrite. Last year when he got his first board he championed wearing a helmet. A few days later? He stopped wearing it cause it lowers the cool factor. On top of this I see kids imitating his vlogging style by recording themselves carrying their camera on one hand and holding the control with the other. I was shocked. You’re going 20+ mph (NYC speed limit is 25 mph btw) and it takes 1 mistake to cause a life and death situation and you’re there multi tasking on an eboard. When people idolize you, you have a responsibility to make sure they learn safety too. Especially kids watching his YouTube channel.

His new apartment is actually a few blocks from where I live in bpc, so I’m sure he’s pretty pissed about the whole situation too. Ironic that he was one of the factors feeding into the problem. Seriously, people do some really dumb shit when they want to show off for camera.

Bad news :frowning:

What the fuck…