EU/Belgian eBoard | 149kV | 12S LiPo -- Checklist & Buildlog

I’ve mixed different brands and c rating and size Packs. (Zippy 35c 4500mah and nanotech aspec 90c 5000mah). I’m looking forward to finishing my li-ion board with the safest chem because I will do almost anything and convince myself its ok as long as I’m riding. Can u get no voltage at all from the bad cell? It disappeared using a multimeter? Yet it’s still in the circuit. For me the cells beside a bad cell get pulled harder or something and they end up at a lower voltage. What were the other packs at?giggle it.

Yes I could. But I’m too lazy at the moment.

I’m thinking of 2 things that I’d like some input on:

1. I jank out the dead cell and run this thing as 11s. Even with the 149kV, I assume currents would still be quite manageable. That way I can still use the batteries.

2. I buy myself some proper batteries, but which ones should I get? On reviews they say that zippy isn’t that great either, but turnigy is. Also, any particular criteria to batteries for esk8?

3. In the long run I’d lik to make a Li-ion pack, but that would be after the summer

4. I still have no clue how this thing died between the very first time they were ever used and the second time a couple weeks later

5. Should I try charging it first? Maybe it overdischarged for some reason

I’m from Belgium aswell, hi!

and I run my 190 kv on 6s 5000 mah 25c so you should be fine i think for 1)

1. after my zippy max i’m now investing in the enertion space cell because it’s free shipping and you get the nice enclosure ( + import tax tho)

2. Often the multistars even arrive when you order them with one cell death

You could also just leave the dead cell in the pack and snip it’s balance wire. That way your charger will think it’s a 3S pack and balance it correctly.

EDIT: wait, hadn’t thought that through. You’d need to fit a 3S balance wire for that to work. I have a spare one I could mail you if you like.

Lower the voltage cutoff in your VESC and you’re good to go @11S. You’ll miss 1/12 of your capacity but at least you’re rollin’.

I’ve read (http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/salvaging-a-lipo-pack-removing-the-bad-cell/2428/12) that leaving the cell in is a bad idea. I already noticed that the cells around it are on a little different voltage than 3.8. So I’ll be indeed cutting it out and resoldering, which I have a feeling will be quite the fiddling :p. If it works then I might take you up on the offer, but I’ll first check if I have one lying round.

And as Murphy’s law predicts: I think I’ve spotted some seeping Lithium (?) from one of the (you’ve guessed it:) working cells at the sides. I was wondering if this is normal or a big nono. It’s small, but it’s definitely not glue or tape residue. It looks like calcium on a waterboiler and is located under the insulating foil tab. My hope (for once please be right) is that it’s some residue left from packaging these things in the insulating foil.

Next to it is a puffy (but working (3.8V)) cell. The broken one is 2 cells away from the one that leaks, it’s at the negative terminal.

BTW: What brand was it that you’ve had better luck with using as 12s? @trbt555

If I was you, I would be getting rid of that cell quickly. Keep an eye on it and don’t let it light your house on fire.

Yeah I don’t think I’m gonna bother taking out the bad cell. One cell is dead, the other one is the one with the leak and one cell is ever so slightly puffy (probably due to the bad cell).

I’ll order a new one and maybe after that order some lipos from a decent brand. If they fail again I’ll have to save up to make a li-ion pack. It’s a bit frustrating with the setbacks

Zippy flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 20C work OK but capacity isn’t as great as the Multistars.

1 Like

I’ll probably go with the zippy 4s then. As it currently stands, I’ll be glad to get 5000mAh of range without the board breaking down on me :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey guys finally got a new battery. Great fun this. Been riding for about 6miles or so, really really great fun. First I had the power cut out though, but quick check of the receiver connection saved that :p.

I do have a bit of a worry though; Again battery issues. getting sick of them to be honest. I got no qualms with troubleshooting things that I’ve messed up, but I hate problems that come out of the factory. But maybe it’s my fault: I hit the soft voltage cutoff, strangely enough because I haven’t been riding that much and they were at 3.8V for every cell.

Thing is, when I checked them with the imax, one battery had all cells at 2.7V(!), the other batteries were all nicely at 3.75-8V. No puffiness though. No wonder the voltage cutoff jumped in when one battery was so low. Is this possible, can this happen? Al cells were all balance charged to 3.82V before this ride.

You charged to 3.82?

Yeah because the other batteries cells were on 3.82v. It seemed plenty for a couple mile ride even with the occasional voltage drop. I am merely testing the setup atm.

Right now I’m gonna put them on 4.2 and see if the one battery drains faster again

Happy you are up and riding again! :grinning:

No clue about Lipo’s but 2,7V doesn’t sound good. Hope you get it sorted out!

Thanks! It’s indeed a mistery. Any other cases of identical batteries in series and on the same voltages that discharge unequally?

your lipo’s do all have the same capacity, mAh? And they all have been charged equally before you connected them in series?

Jep, all 12cells were at 3.82V. 3 batteries are all identical 4s multistar 10000mAh

I’ve heard another user having a voltage drop with MultiStars. Be careful with it.

Well, I’ve charged the battery again to 4v and it kept its charge so disaster averted.

I’ve used it for the first time as a commute. Saw to officers and acted as if I was using my legs :stuck_out_tongue: they didn’t notice. On the way back I crossed another one on a bike but I noticed to late, but he rode ride past me without noticing fieuw… haha

I love this thing.

sidenote: I’m seriously shredding my orangatang drive wheel due to the torque, I like it.

I’m seriously about to cry with happiness knowing 12s 149kv @70kg is working out so amazingly. What kind of range are you getting out of it? Anywhere close to 18 miles?